1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Re-Mounting '48 F-1 Cab - Avoiding Squeaks & Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 10:44 AM
aldrowsboy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-Mounting '48 F-1 Cab - Avoiding Squeaks & Rattles

I am a brand new member to the forum and was referred to this Forum by a user on the HAMB bulletin board. I will save the detail on my project and myself until later because I need to resolve some questions in order to proceed with my project - more details on project to follow.

I'm rebuilding a '48 Ford F-1 pickup and we're just getting ready to mount the completed cab back on the frame. fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O> </O>
We're using replacement cab mounting kits with new rubber and fiber pads on the two front mounting brackets under the cab on the left and right sides of the frame. We also bought new rear cab mounting arms and the rubber bumpers, grommets and bushings that are part of those mounts.<O></O>
<O> </O>
Despite replacing all the original cab mounting components, I want to be sure that there won’t be squeaks or other rattles or noises once the cab is back on the frame.<O></O>
<O> </O>
The only points where the cab appears to be connected directly to the frame are the two front mounting brackets and the rubber mounted rear cab mounting arms. The front mounting brackets are cushioned with fiber and rubber pads on the two surfaces of the mounting brackets and are bolted tight. The rear mounts appear to “float” on rubber bushings and pads. As such, they don’t appear to be directly connected to the frame. <O></O>
<O> </O>
Therefore, you’d think we’re fine but I’d like to be as sure as I can that there will be no rattles or squeaks.<O></O>
<O> </O>
The only other thing that I can think of to prevent rubbing, squeaks and rattles is installing the typical Ford “fabric webbing" between the cab and the frame at any place where the cab touches or is close to the frame.<O></O>
<O> </O>
The cab came off the frame 15 years ago and I can't remember if there was any of that fabric webbing in place or not. <O></O>
<O> </O>
So, I have three questions:<O></O>
<O> </O>
1. Does anybody out there know if webbing was originally used by Ford or has anybody used that webbing or anything else to ensure the final product is squeak and rattle free?<O></O>
<O> </O>
2. Even though the rear of the cab isn’t tightly bolted directly to the frame, there must not be hardly any gap between the frame and the rear cab, correct? <O></O>
a. It seems that’s where it’s most likely that there could be rattles or squeaks.<O></O>
<O> </O>
3. I don’t have access to the original cab and frame right now so I can’t check for myself but I don’t believe that the cab actually touches the frame, does it?<O></O>
a. If so, there can’t be many places where there is the potential for rattles or squeaks other than what I’ve discussed above, right?<O></O>
<O> </O>
Any experience, insights or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks very much.<O></O>

Old 04-13-2013, 12:13 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have the cab removed from my '49 F4, same cab, same mounts. I see only six points of contact. Two on the outrigger side frames in front, two inboard of the front door jams and the links at the rear of the cab. I can find no evidence where any other contact has been made with the frame. There was no evidence of webbing between the frame and cab.
I see the steering column surrounding seals and where it attaches to the dash as potential squeak, noise areas.
Fenders, seat, radiator, running boards, hood and doors are all areas that can move and cause noise. The cab itself has no support or vibration dampers in many large areas, all potential noise areas. The fenders and cab do have a seal between the two.
The trucks were not designed with many comforts in mind, just to haul stuff. But, we want them better than new, right.
Lots written here about sound deadening and how to go about it.
This is the first bonus built for me. I refreshed my '56 a few years ago, paying close attention to fitment and she has no rattles.
Good luck with the project, We do like pictures.
What part of the world are you in?

Old 04-13-2013, 08:00 PM
aldrowsboy
Freshman User
Ray:
Thanks for the response. I've been researching this for a week and since I can't look at the actual cab and frame, it's been hard to be sure I'm right in my conclusions. Your reply was just what I needed right now. It confirmed what I was thinking and now I can move forward.
I've tried to respond to you three times and being a newby, I'm having trouble getting everything to work properly but hopefully this will go through OK. Am also trying to figure out to post pictures but will get this thank you off to you now.
I live in Sioux Falls, SD. We just got hit with an early spring storm with lots of wind/rain/ice/snow. Broke trees off, power lines down and it's a real mess. Oh well, spring can't be too far off.
More to follow later hopefully including pics and again, I appreciate your response.
Thanks,
Les

Old 04-13-2013, 09:09 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Ray hit the mounts, and the usual caveats about how these weren't luxury vehicles. The rear of the cab will likely only clear the cab by 3/8" - 1/2", even with fresh mounts.

In my experience most of the rattles are in the doors -- the doors themselves, and the window mechanisms. Fresh weatherstripping and whiskers on the doors and glass helps a lot, and tightening up rivets in the window/door latch mechanisms helps there.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Plus one on Ray and Ross's posts. When you can, search sound deadeners. Do the cab and inside the doors. Most of my rattles are from the doors, too. I didn't tighten the rivets on the widow winders, and they do rattle. You will get wind noise even with new seals. These weren't designed for comfort at highway speeds so you just do what you can and accept a little noise. Part of the experience of driving an old truck.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM
F1resto
New User
Door rattles

Thanks for the help on the door rattle issue. Makes sense for those of us in the early stages of work on the trucks.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Les,
I think you are good to go on the cab mounts - they all have rubber between the joints & the cab. Windows are painful to stop the rattling - that back bed also makes a racket when it's bouncing around. Get some good loud mufflers - you won't hear a thing.

Honestly - I'm not sure how you get it totally quiet like a newer car.
We sprayed our undercab with bedliner & I think that helped.

Keep up the momentum over there in South Dakota.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 PM
aldrowsboy
Freshman User
Ben - Thanks for all the feedback - also enjoyed the other emails we exchanged. You're a patient man putting up with all my questions. Thanks much - Les