1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4r100 trans FIPL??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 AM
TugzDzl
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4r100 trans FIPL??

Having downshifting problems with REbuilt transmission. Is there a FIPL sensor for the 4r100? I was told to check all engine codes first, but i just have a EBPV sensor code, but removed the valve when I installed the GT38R turbo...
Any help would be great. Thanks!
Rebuild:
- Tugger kit
- triple disc Billet torque converter
- New clutches and seals,.
- Banks Trans command module
... I also have a 6-pos tuner..
I had a Super chips tuner too and it has ALWAYS had the downshifting on acceleration on up-hill grades!! so i didnt think it could be the programmers

Old 05-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
There is no FIPL on a 4R100 equipped truck. There is a pedal position sensor on the accelerator pedal.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting you tube video on a 4r100 rebuild with shifting problems. Maybe something to help where the valve body was over tightened.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 AM
TugzDzl
New User
WHAT???...

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
There is no FIPL on a 4R100 equipped truck. There is a pedal position sensor on the accelerator pedal.
Maybe I should just start over, because I get all kinds of info!!..Was told the 4r100 and 4AOD was the same trans!..(sorry if its the wrong name), but anyway, I have taken it to several places. One said nothing was wrong, could not duplicate.. another placed replaced the pedal( guess that's the one your talking about), another said FIPL sensor, and torque converter. I have gotten enough info to believe that the Torque converter is out of the question, so then lastly electronic control from engine codes! Where would the FIPL sensor be? Maybe I can at least look for it?

The positive has been that the transmission seems to have GREAT line pressures and shifts smoothly in all other applications except accelerating getting on the highway ramps, or cruising down some Tennessee back road that has a gradual hill that causes it to downshift until it reaches the top.

Thanks for the feedback!!... I know that Transmissions are not really a cut and dry solution with forums.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:16 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Mark worked on the 4R100 program when he was a transmission engineer at Ford. Regardless of what you have been told elsewhere, Mark's information is accurate. You would save yourself a lot of time and money if you forget what else you have been told about the 4R100.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by TugzDzl
Maybe I should just start over, because I get all kinds of info!!..Was told the 4r100 and 4AOD was the same trans!..(sorry if its the wrong name),
The 4R100 and E4OD are similar transmissions. Ford never made a 4AOD.

but anyway, I have taken it to several places. One said nothing was wrong, could not duplicate.. another placed replaced the pedal( guess that's the one your talking about), another said FIPL sensor, and torque converter.
The one that said it is the FIPL knows no more about this transmission than you do. I'd stay away from them.

I have gotten enough info to believe that the Torque converter is out of the question, so then lastly electronic control from engine codes! Where would the FIPL sensor be? Maybe I can at least look for it?
The FIPL is a Fuel Injection Pump Lever sensor. It would be located on the fuel injection pump lever. Let me know when you find the fuel injection pump on a Powerstroke.

The positive has been that the transmission seems to have GREAT line pressures and shifts smoothly in all other applications except accelerating getting on the highway ramps, or cruising down some Tennessee back road that has a gradual hill that causes it to downshift until it reaches the top.
So what is the complaint? Without knowing what's not working up to expectations I have no way to suggest what might really be wrong.

Thanks for the feedback!!... I know that Transmissions are not really a cut and dry solution with forums.
Quite often they are if you have someone that knows transmissions.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 PM
TugzDzl
New User
The transmission downshifts on acceleration either during a gradual climb, especially when merging on the highway. It runs great otherwise. Its just annoying if its a long hill, because it will do it until it reaches the top... What is funny about your comment, is the Trans shop that worked on it, is the one that told me it was probably the FIPL?..
I was told to take care of ALL codes first, which is only my EBPV sensor and high press...thats it??!!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:26 PM
TugzDzl
New User
I was wondering if there is another transmission that is VERY similiar to the 4r100?? that they put on the Powerstrokes?... This downshifting problem started when the trans was rebuilt.. Thats why I thought it was a Torque converter... but the transmission fella's that told me to clear ALL codes first, told me that TRans shops will do anything to make the buck and that he thinks that's why put the "Tugger" shift kit, they probably messed up either drilling or wrong spring,that with a good Electronic tuner they could have made the trans work great, but they then wouldn't make more money off me!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:40 PM
TugzDzl
New User
I guess the key word here is that it "cycles" between gears on acceleration(downshifting)..if its 3rd gear it cycles between 3-4, if i floor it, it starts cycling between 2nd-3rd... I will trouble shoot more!
Thanks for the info!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:57 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I was wondering if there is another transmission that is VERY similiar to the 4r100?? that they put on the Powerstrokes?...
No, there was not. It was either a 4R100 or a manual transmission.

This downshifting problem started when the trans was rebuilt.. Thats why I thought it was a Torque converter... but the transmission fella's that told me to clear ALL codes first, told me that TRans shops will do anything to make the buck and that he thinks that's why put the "Tugger" shift kit, they probably messed up either drilling or wrong spring,that with a good Electronic tuner they could have made the trans work great, but they then wouldn't make more money off me!
A Tugger kit will not make the trans downshift more often. The decision to downshift or not is made in the PCM, not the transmission. The torque converter doesn't have anything to do with downshifts, either.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I thought the '94-'97 7.3 liter Power Strokes came with the E4OD trans which was very similar to the 4R100?

Old 05-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Yes, that's true. The original question asked about the 4R100 so that is what I was talking about. From 1999 to 2003 the 4R100 was the only automatic.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:25 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
... snipped ... the transmission downshifts on acceleration either during a gradual climb, especially when merging on the highway. It runs great otherwise. Its just annoying if its a long hill, because it will do it until it reaches the top ...
Does this happen with the Overdrive engaged? If yes, I find my 1992 based RV with the E4OD tranny does the same thing. Nothing wrong with it ... just needs a lower gear to get the job done.

The Banks Trans Command is suppose to help reduce the downshifting by increasing the fluid pressure thus holding the higher gear longer before a downshift is required. I'm not a techie so I hope I got this explanation right. ~ Bugjr ~

Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The trans command CANNOT reduce downshifting. The downshifting decision is made in the PCM, not in the transmission. All the trans command can do is affect how soft or harsh the shift is. It cannot change when the transmission shifts.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The trans command CANNOT reduce downshifting. The downshifting decision is made in the PCM, not in the transmission. All the trans command can do is affect how soft or harsh the shift is. It cannot change when the transmission shifts.
Thanks for the clarificaion Mark ... good to know. ~ Bugjr ~

Quick Reply: 4r100 trans FIPL??