Transmission installation in a Twin I-Beam F-250

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Gatopescado
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission installation in a Twin I-Beam F-250

Hi Folks!

I've got a situation I need help with. I can't get ahold of a manual that covers the Twin I-Beam specificly. Here is the story:

1965 F-250 with a 390 and a Cruise-O-Matic. Engine is a re-man, and the transmission is original as far as I know.

Reverse band broke, and I unbolted the case from the bellhousing to remove and repair the transmission. Sourced a good band, had a transmission guy put it in for me. Good so far.

The guy that installed the band says I need to remove the bell and converter, mate them to the trans case and install back into the truck.

Here is the problem. The forward crossmember is the mounting point for a bunch of the Twin I-Beam suspension stuff, and it sures looks like that bellhousing won't come out with that crossmember in place. And even if it did, I seriously doubt it would go back in with the case bolted up!

Do I have to disassemble the whole suspension, remove the crossmember and go that route? Or can I attempt to install the case in the reverse of the removal?

I'd have to line up 2 sets of splines and the the 2 notches on the end of the converter, but it seems to me if I was able to get the case flush with the bellhousing, it would have to be alligned. The converter is still bolted to the flex-plate and shouldn't be wigglin' around. This sure seems like an easier task that major suspension/frame removal. Might take a little while and some finess, but sounds like a better option. But I'm worried, 'cause the guy says I'll blow up the pump if I get it wrong!

What do you all think of this situation?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:38 PM
old broke prospector
Elder User
I have not done an automatic but have done 2 manuals on a 352, I had to remove the tranny first then the bell housing and also mount the bell housing first then the tranny but that may be my inexperience.

I would at least try to mate the tranny without taking out the bell housings. Here are a couple hints.

1. need two jacks, one under the engine to get it back in line because it most likley has dropped down at a small angle when you removed the tranny.

2. drop the bell houseing inspection cover for access

3. you can turn the engine to get allignment of the shaft but I suggest you dissconnect the coil wire if you use the starter to bump, prefer hand turning.

If you have to, pull the engine through the front, install the tranny and reinstall both through the front.

Good luck.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Gatopescado
New User
All 3 points are good advice, and have them all covered! I've got a arsenal of jacks and a dead battery that is going to insure hand-turning of the converter. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Gatopescado
New User
Its not as bad as I first thought. Just came in from under the truck and it looks like I can get that crossmember out without serious suspension disassembly. It just took quite a bit of Mung Removal to see that the suspension pieces bolt to brackets that in turn bolt to the crossmember and frame. Looks like I can undo the bolts and slide the crossmember back and remove. We'll see......

Old 05-13-2013, 05:50 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
The 3spd trucks had riveted in cross members, the auto should have bolt in. Unlike the C6 The C-O-M unbolts from the bell, can you pull the case seperate from the bell?

John

Old 05-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Gatopescado
New User
Follow-up:

Decided to give it a try without removing bellhousing. Thing slid right up in there and with a little wiggle, pushed in and mated up perfectly! Ran all 4 bolts in by hand, hooked up the lines and linkages and drive shaft (never even took it off the rear end, just unbolted from the yoke and pushed it aside!)

Filled it up, no leaks, drove it around! All 3 speeds that way, and one the other way!

I think I got lucky.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:35 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gatopescado
Follow-up:

Decided to give it a try without removing bellhousing. Thing slid right up in there and with a little wiggle, pushed in and mated up perfectly! Ran all 4 bolts in by hand, hooked up the lines and linkages and drive shaft (never even took it off the rear end, just unbolted from the yoke and pushed it aside!)

Filled it up, no leaks, drove it around! All 3 speeds that way, and one the other way!

I think I got lucky.
You come to appreciate those occasions when installing the transmission goes smoothly; rest assured, there will be a time when it becomes so frustrating one has to take a break and tackle the task another day. By the way, if I have not already done so, Welcome to FTE!!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:37 PM
C G B
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daveengelson
You come to appreciate those occasions when installing the transmission goes smoothly; rest assured, there will be a time when it becomes so frustrating one has to take a break and tackle the task another day. By the way, if I have not already done so, Welcome to FTE!!
God Ive been there.....

Brings back some nightmares of trying to line up the C6 in my '73...