Anybody here done a "marble" paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 AM
curkey
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody here done a "marble" paint job?

I am strongly considering doing a marble effect on my hood. It's black but I was thinking of some sort of a marble stripe. Colours for the stripe would be silver and gold. Anyways, if anybody could give me some tips on the procedure for doing this. Time between coats, when to apply the plastic wrap, things like that. Even pictures of different colour combinations.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 PM
curkey
Freshman User
Okay, so I experimented with the "marble" effect. I sanded a scrap hood last night after work and today during lunch I sprayed some colour. I didn't clear over any of this, just sunlight Here's what I got:

The two above pictures are the same stripe. The two below are of a second stripe.

I have another idea I want to try before I decide. I'll try and do it tomorrow.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Ya know, I tend not to like things that are too out of the norm, but I have to admit.....I like that....especially with the right contrasting color!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:22 PM
rocket06
New User
Looks like your on the right track. Spray your base silver or white or gold what ever you like the best. while it's Still wet cover it with some plastic or something that's going to give you the effect you want. Now the cool part is the top coats. I like to use candy paint over the effected area and they make a lot of cool candy colors. That's going to make it pop add depth and just look cool. Remember the more coats of candy you put on the darker it will get. But the more depth it will gain. Add the clear after that and you have a super cool marble . I wish I could get some pic on here I have done some cool marble and wood grain effects.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Man, that's pretty cool!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:12 PM
curkey
Freshman User
Thanks for the comments guys! Things picked up at work so I have less time for my experiments. Haven't done anything more than what I've shown. I want to get this done by the end of next week though so hopefully I'll have more to show soon. This will probably be disappointing but this isn't going on my truck, it's my Focus I'm doing. Trunk was staring to rust and the hood paint was getting ready to fall off, it had had hail damage that was poorly repaired. My truck is far from ready for paint, or the road for that matter.

The silver stripe is there because I want to try a gold marble over it. I like the gold and black contrast I did except it doesn't look as good when the sun isn't shining on it so I'm going to try a different gold over the black.

Rocket06 I'd really like to see those paint jobs you've done! Any chance you can email them to me? The wood grain sounds pretty cool, how is that done? When you say spray the base are you talking about the black or the gold? Then for topcoat are you saying that's the gold or the candy to sprayed over that? I just want a little more clarity on what you're saying. The last two pictures are black hood, silver marble, then I sprayed the gold over the top. It looks too pale for my liking, even though that was the one I was hoping to like the most. My car is black with tan interior and silver wheels that's why I chose the colours I did. I've seen black/silver marble with a red candy over the top and it looked amazing but it's not to my taste for this car.

Anyways, my rambling is done for now.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 AM
rocket06
New User
Originally Posted by curkey
Thanks for the comments guys! Things picked up at work so I have less time for my experiments. Haven't done anything more than what I've shown. I want to get this done by the end of next week though so hopefully I'll have more to show soon. This will probably be disappointing but this isn't going on my truck, it's my Focus I'm doing. Trunk was staring to rust and the hood paint was getting ready to fall off, it had had hail damage that was poorly repaired. My truck is far from ready for paint, or the road for that matter.

The silver stripe is there because I want to try a gold marble over it. I like the gold and black contrast I did except it doesn't look as good when the sun isn't shining on it so I'm going to try a different gold over the black.

Rocket06 I'd really like to see those paint jobs you've done! Any chance you can email them to me? The wood grain sounds pretty cool, how is that done? When you say spray the base are you talking about the black or the gold? Then for topcoat are you saying that's the gold or the candy to sprayed over that? I just want a little more clarity on what you're saying. The last two pictures are black hood, silver marble, then I sprayed the gold over the top. It looks too pale for my liking, even though that was the one I was hoping to like the most. My car is black with tan interior and silver wheels that's why I chose the colours I did. I've seen black/silver marble with a red candy over the top and it looked amazing but it's not to my taste for this car.

I will have to see if i can get some pics loaded. As far as the woodgrain, instead of just putting the plastic on the wet base wipe it with plastic while its still wet. This will streak it like a wood grain effect.

Paint companys make a marblizing base paint, buy have found that using a silver,gold or white base coat paint will do the same thing. Experiment with it.

So your car is black. Tape off the area you want to marble or effect. scuff up the black so the new paint will stick. spray your silver or what ever color you like base and effect it to your preference while its still wet. that will give you your marble or woodgrain. Now if you want the gold look then find a gold candy. House of Kolor has an awsome selection but it is expensive. So spray the candy over the area that you marbled. Or you can spray the candy over everything it wont show up over the black until you see it in the sun.That will turn the silver or base color into the color of the candy. The more coats you put on the darker it will get but the deeper it will look. after you are done with the candy you can clear it all.

Again I will see if I can get some pics.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 AM
rocket06
New User
I have some pictures.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 AM
rocket06
New User
Originally Posted by curkey

I have some good pictures do you have an email? Icant figure out how to get them on the site.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 PM
curkey
Freshman User
I had trouble at first with the pictures as well, I had to resize them because they were too big. I have to do that with all the pictures I take. My email is curkey@hotmail.com