1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket Leaking into Coolant System - Time to get rid of it?? Opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:45 AM
westkane
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket Leaking into Coolant System - Time to get rid of it?? Opinions needed

To all those folks that said I had a head gasket putting pressure into my cooling system and causing it to overheat, you were right. It is a 2003 F250 with 80000 5.4 l. I have had to replace mexhaust manifold bolts on left side (horrible job, couldn't get one out). Back fenders are rusted out, under the extended cab rusted, doors are rusting at the bottom. My friend/mechanic said it was time to get rid of it. I don't really have thousands of $$ for a different one, but also, replacing the head gaskets are in the thousands for a repair bill. I ask all you folks out there? What do I do? I have looked at used 2008 250 4 door and they are 20000+++ sheesh, but a new one is out of the question. I really value your input here. Do I get the gasket situation repaired? It does not act up all the time, some times it never overheats, sometimes it will. Somewhat infrequent ( I had one mechanic look at it and he tried 3 different times, and it did not overheat. Temp gage will peg, coolant resevior will overflow, but is not hot (100 degrees). I dont have the really have the money to put into a newer model, but I am worried about being nickeled and dimed to death after dumping a couple of thousand into a head gasket, plus I suppose I need to have the other side manifold gasket/bolts checked too. Sorry for being long winded but this has me stressed and and looking for some input from you folks - the real experts. I really will appreciate your opinions on this. It seems like low miles to be having issues, yes I realize all will rust, but this year, as evidnet in our area, was really susc eptable to rust. Not worried about the body, is it worth it to spend 2500 for head gasket repair, or trade up a couple of years, less miles, etc. My worry is, I already had to fix 1 exhaust manifold gasket, know head gasket to fix a cooling issue, do I cut my losses and move to another truck, or spend the money for repairs. I don't really have money for either but want to make a good decision. Truck has not been abused and has been serviced as scheduled. Had to put on new brakes and roors, as woyuld expect, and ball joints too. Just looking for opinions - What would YOU do? Thanks for all the input. Oh, oil looks fine, no contamination, and coolant is clear. Will the head gasket get worse? As I said before, it is intermittant, but I don't trust it for long trips.

Last edited by westkane; 05-05-2013 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Add engine size v8 - 5.4
Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
What engine do you have in your truck? 80k miles is nothing on these trucks. I'm assuming you live in the rust belt? These are all normal areas of rust for the SD's. The rust issues will happen on the new truck you'd buy as well...

Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
i assume this is a 6.0 diesel?

Old 05-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Mazz
Junior User
Didn't he say its a 5.4 with 80k? In my opinion you have to fix it If You keep it or fix it if you sell. Weather you keep it or not I couldn't sleep at night knowing I sold somebody a truck with a leaking head gasket. Even if you sell with full disclosure your going to take a hit on the price which puts you in worse shape to buy the next rig. I say get the motor issue fixed then you can relax and decide what your going to do with a clear head.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Kdr358
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you tried searching for a lower mile used motor? I would try contacting a few salvage yards. You can also try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market I have bought salvage motors before with no issues. In my area on CL you can find a V10 for around 1,200 and a 5.4 for around 850.00

Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM
03F350XLT
Senior User
You may end up in the position with the new used truck. And if u trade up a few years you may run into plug issues or an array of others. Who knows what will happen if u buy used. I understand the trade up idea and just pick up a manageable monthly payment instead of a 2500 wack all at once. Ultimately trading up is not more cost effective. I would bite the bullet and have the head gasket repaired and drive the truck another 120k miles. Throw some fender flares and rocker panels on it and it'll look as good as tge day it came off the lot. You could do the head gasket, manifold and rust repairs or flat bed for less than you would pay in one year of payments on a trade up.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 PM
westkane
New User
Thanks

Kinda what I have been wrestling with also, I hate buying used cause unless you are a mechanic, you are at risk of buying someones problem. I don't want to be guilty of that...

Originally Posted by Mazz
Didn't he say its a 5.4 with 80k? In my opinion you have to fix it If You keep it or fix it if you sell. Weather you keep it or not I couldn't sleep at night knowing I sold somebody a truck with a leaking head gasket. Even if you sell with full disclosure your going to take a hit on the price which puts you in worse shape to buy the next rig. I say get the motor issue fixed then you can relax and decide what your going to do with a clear head.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:15 PM
westkane
New User
Good idea

Good idea, I'll ask my mechanic about the cost/viabilty, etc Will a V10 fit, or do I get a 5.4

Originally Posted by Kdr358
have you tried searching for a lower mile used motor? I would try contacting a few salvage yards. You can also try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market I have bought salvage motors before with no issues. In my area on CL you can find a V10 for around 1,200 and a 5.4 for around 850.00

Old 05-05-2013, 04:18 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I take from your post you have had it tested to make sure it's a head gasket and not a thermostat that's sticking on occasion.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 PM
westkane
New User
Thanks

I dislike buying used, I wind up with somone else's issues, and I don't want to be guilty of causinging them either. Nice to know that trading up is not cost effective.

Originally Posted by 03F350XLT
You may end up in the position with the new used truck. And if u trade up a few years you may run into plug issues or an array of others. Who knows what will happen if u buy used. I understand the trade up idea and just pick up a manageable monthly payment instead of a 2500 wack all at once. Ultimately trading up is not more cost effective. I would bite the bullet and have the head gasket repaired and drive the truck another 120k miles. Throw some fender flares and rocker panels on it and it'll look as good as tge day it came off the lot. You could do the head gasket, manifold and rust repairs or flat bed for less than you would pay in one year of payments on a trade up.