Speaker Rzeplacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Bob Landry
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaker Rzeplacement

2013 XLT with 1 CD radio & Sync. I'm looking to upgrade the speakers and here is what I've found so far. I pulled the door panel today to look around. The existing speakers measure 5.5X8" which I assume is 6X8. The molded grill in the door panel only measures 5X7". The impedance is 4 ohms.

I'm reading that the speaker replacement size of choice seems to be the round 6.5" speakers. Why is that. Is there more cone area in the 6.5",better voice coil, stronger magnet?

What about impedance? The higher end speakers that I'm finding are 2 ohms. I'm assuming that my speakers are not wired together in series or parallel to achieve a specific impedance because the radio lets you fade between speakers. So what impedance speaker do I replace them with and what size, or does it even make that much difference. The head would see the 2 ohm speakers as less resistance and I don't want to blow the radio. Sorry for all of the basic questions, but in the past I've just gone to the stereo shop and let them do everything.

I'm not going to change out the head because I don't want to lose my Sync functions, so I'm going to start by upgrading speakers and maybe add an amp and a small subwoofer just for a little bottom. I'm not looking for ground pounding bass or ear splitting volume, just a fuller sound.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:46 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Speaker impedance is of vital concern to anything solid state like almost all vehicle audio systems these days. Keep that in mind, its not good to change the total load the head unit "sees".

Speakers are such an objective item, we all hear quite differently. Were it me upgrading again and this were a big concern I'd buy from an outfit who allows exchanging things for little or no cost (apart from return shipping) and be prepared to swap them out until the best sounding to me finally arrived.

I'd first contact Crutchfield as they've been the most customer friendly online retailers of this gear I've ever found. There will be others with a different experience, have used others with great results, this is just my experience with them. Crutchfield will have a few recommendations for your head unit, in fact their site shows you which model anything will work with your OEM set up.

OEM speakers are typically inexpensive items, at best compromises between cost and what is thought to sound good to the average non-critical listener. In fact most are skewed towards a heavier bass sound since so many perceive that to be more powerful sounding. Good speakers simply reproduce what the original signal is, not color it one way or the other on the audio spectrum.

Do keep in mind speakers mounted behind trim panels need to be auditioned exactly as they'll live daily. What sounds good with trim panels removed might not be the same once everything is buttoned up.

Anyway not a lot of specific answers to your questions---all good ones BTW---but just a bit to ponder in your search!

HTH

Old 05-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
I agree.......Crutchfield...then visit a local chain store to hear the speakers, then order them from Crutchfield...

been doing that since the 70's with them!!!!!

Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Beechkid
I agree.......Crutchfield...then visit a local chain store to hear the speakers, then order them from Crutchfield...

been doing that since the 70's with them!!!!!
Great minds think alike!

They seem to be getting better if that's even possible. Free shipping now so I ordered a few install parts totaling like $25 plus the convenience of it showing up at the front door a few days later.

I've yet to listen to any auto speakers and have them sound the same when installed in one of my vehicles. Honestly if I thought a set of JL Audio round speakers sounded as killer as I'm told I'd drop $500 on them. That's a ton of money for something that would only be a so-so upgrade though. The gear in front of the speakers would need to be equally great too which is another $1k or so---it never ends!

Old 05-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Delta2142
Senior User
Try Cartoys they really made me a good deal on new speakers. I like Cruchfield also but they could not 1ouch the price on Ifinity 6500 twoway

Old 05-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Bob Landry
Junior User
I ordered a set of Polk DBi570s from Crutchfield. Put then in this afternoon and it's a 100% improvement over the Ford factory speakers. I went with the 5X7s since that was what came in the truck. I've read a little about guys using 6 1/2" speakers and making adapter plates for them. I could have done that, but it didn't seem like it would accomplish much to have the door panel blocking some of the sound. Anyway, I'm happy with the Polks, enough bass to add a little fullness and the highs are really crisp. I may order a set for the back. No Subwoofer needed.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:14 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Nothing better than great tunes when cruising around!

Old 05-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Bob Landry
Junior User
I also had an interesting discovery in the process of playing with the fade and balance settings on the head. As stated before, the factory speakers tend to be fairly bassy and the mids and highs are muddy sounding. I moved the fader setting to a little behind center. The result was a pleasant increase in bass response while not affecting the front speakers. I think this is the sound I've been looking for. I don't have a need to sit at a light with blood running out of my ears and annoying the guy next to me, I just wanted a little fuller, fatter sound, and to me louder that doesn't mean louder. Obviously it's not going to have the punch of an amp and subwoofer, but for a nice sound and enjoyable listening, this $75 upgrade is the real deal.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
If the end result is what you were hoping for the cost isn't important. Then again saving some money AND getting what you want----its a good day!