Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought my wife a new to her truck, got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 PM
CaptCameltoe
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought my wife a new to her truck, got some questions

94 f150 xlt 4x4 extended cab

Just got my wife this truck, and as much of a redneck hillbilly as I am, have never owned a 4x4, 2wd always got me to where I needed to hunt and fish. I have a few questions. the low range button doesn't seem to light up but I swore I thought I heard the auto shifter mechanism click,is this a common problem and what should I check first? also the front tires are wore in a odd high low tread pattern which I believe is from bad shocks. The back tires have about 1/2-3/4's tread, would it be ok to put new tires on the front or will that be too much of a difference and cause problems? it has 31 10.50 15's on it and if I have to get a set of tires I'd like to go to 33's, but not sure how the truck is geared yet and if that would be a good idea or not. How to you recalibrate speedos for larger tires on these trucks? gas mileage we can expect? 17 mpg out of the realm of possibility with a 5.8 auto trans combo? also what do I need to do to raise that front end up level with the back and get rid of that stink bug stance? truck runs and goes down the road like new, no wobbles, rattles, squeaks etc everything else works in it and it has been well taken care of.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Country705
Elder User
Very nice truck. I am sure your wife is very pleased with it. I can't help you with any of the issues you are having however, I did want to chime in and say I have a 1994 F150 supercab 4x4 and it gets around 15mpg when everything is running the way it should and that is of course hwy mileage. It is equipped with the 5.0 and automatic tranny. I hope that someone else with more knowledge than I have chimes in on the other issues but all in all it looks like you have a very nice truck.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:43 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Try shifting into Low Range with the truck in Neutral after you have the 4x4 active. Regarding mileage, you could expect anything from 12 to 17 MPG depending on your driving and the truck's shape. To adjust the truck height the best choice is a leveling kit.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 AM
EzPc
Cross-Country
I agree, I just acquired a 92 F150 Fareside with the electronic switching. You need to engage 4x4 first which can happen in gear or in neutral then you must be in neutral to switch to LOW. The only other thing you may have to do is engage the front hubs if you have manual ones. From the distance on your pictures you look like you have auto hubs. If that is the case you may want to consider upgrading them to manual as the autos have a tendency to fail on you at the worst possible time...

Oh and as far as the mileage I have read a bunch about my bronco over at another site. There is a great bunch of write ups on how to get more MPG out of your Ford. I know its about bronco's but it does have a good bit of information if you don't mind the reading... it can be found here:

ignition upgrade and timing bump (no 56K) - FSB Forums

Hope this helps and welcome...

Old 05-01-2013, 08:04 AM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if its 4wd running two different sized tires is defiantly not ok to do. also cranking up the radius arm isnt going to do anything, you need torsion bars to do that and these trucks have coil springs (in my opinion better for towing) so if you lift it you will need to do a re alignment which is a whole different ordeal. also there is a constant on the speedo that you adjust for bigger tires.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, before you can get into Low Range you have to engage 4x4 which can be done while moving. When you mash the 4x4 button, there is a magnetic clutch in the transfer case that is energized. What this does is gets the front driveline up to speed, so that it's synchronized with the rear driveline. There's a speed sensor in there also, so when the 4x4 controller sees that the front driveshaft is turning at the same speed as the rear, it'll make the actual shift and lock the front drivetrain to the rear, and then disengage the clutch. After the shift is complete, the position encoder in the shift mechanism indicates 4x4 is engaged and you get the 4x4 indicator.

Now for Low Range, when you hit that button the truck has to be stopped (actually moving works better, but keep the speed to around 1-2 MPH) because it's changing between ratios on a planetary gearset and you don't want to grind anything up. When the transfer case completes the shift and when the position encoder in the shift mechanism indicates low range, you get the Low Range light. This signal also changes the shift points in the transmission (if you have an auto) to accommodate the reduced final drive gearing. If you ain't getting the Low Range light, it may be trying to shift but giving up before the shift is complete. I had a Bronco II that did this, it would actually make the shift but the position encoder was screwed up so the shift controller never got feedback that the shift completed ok, so it would default back to 2H. Probably not what your problem is though, try creeping forward real slow and hit the Low Range button again. If it makes it into Low Range (indicator lit up or not) you'll feel the difference when you start driving.

EDIT: forgot to say, do this in grass or dirt or something soft. Driving in 4x4 on dry pavement is real hard on the drivetrain.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 AM
CaptCameltoe
Senior User
Man for some reason I can never get onto this site, took me two days of constant error messages to get on here. Thanks for all the info and I think I am just gonna get a set of 31 10.50 15 tires for now and live with the stink bug stance until play money appears again for a lift and 33's. I will check into tryin that low range button out in nuetral and slowly movin, no worries on tryin it on pavement, we live at teh dead end of about 5 miles of gravel cane roads. We live so far back in the woods we they have to pipe sunshine in lol I'll throw some pics up and yes my wife is on cloud nine over her new to her truck.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:49 PM
CaptCameltoe
Senior User
just noticed today its got a 351w lol seller told me 302 and when I glanced at the intake I thought I saw 5.0. was lookin for a antifreeze leak on it today and saw an extra rib by the dist thats a dead giveaway for a 351w, took a double take at the intake a sure enough 5.8. there goes another mpg or so less It has some sort of heater adapter on the oil filter that looks to be leakin, is this really needed in S la? or can I remove it or bypass it?

Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Post a picture of the adapter, because I have no clue what you're talking about.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:12 PM
CaptCameltoe
Senior User
I must have had a brain fart, pretty sure its the oil cooler. Probably a gasket leakin at the block or such. wifes already teasin me she's gonna climbo over my 79 f 100 6cyl

Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptCameltoe
just noticed today its got a 351w lol seller told me 302 and when I glanced at teh intake I thought I saw 5.0. was lookin for a antifreeze leak on it today and saw an extra rib by the dist thats a dead giveaway for a 351w, took a double take at teh intake a sure enough 5.8. there goes another mpg or so less It has some sort of heater adapter on the oil filter that looks to be leakin, is this really needed in S la? or can I remove it or bypass it?
Actually, that is an engine oil COOLER!!!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
That's an oil cooler. I think it comes with the HD tow package; they're not required. This thread is a good resource: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...pter-help.html

Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 PM
CaptCameltoe
Senior User
Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
Electric seat and everything! Looks like my trucks twin in different colors and much better shape. I've beat the hell out of mine over the years and it still goes down the road perfectly at 203k. Nice find!

Old 05-06-2013, 05:36 PM
CaptCameltoe
Senior User
Yea its pretty loaded up as far as I can see compared to other trucks, very clean and very tight when goin down the road. It has a couple cancer spots, one on the rocker area under the drivers ex-cab and over the passenger rear wheel lip. Kinda odd since I am pretty sure its always been a Southern truck, but for 2800.00 I wasn't gonna whine too much. We live off some roads that eat shiny clean paint for lunch, so wasn't lookin for a show queen by any means. Mommas happy with it and thats all that matters

Quick Reply: Just bought my wife a new to her truck, got some questions