6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

It's time to rid my truck of the DPF and cat

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:57 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't know where to start here but I'll try to help. To get the increase in power and SOME SMALL increase in MPG the DPF must be removed. to remove the DPF you must have a tuner or some other way to reprogram the truck computer. There are individual who can and will do it for a price but then you are stuck with that tune unless you want to pay to have it changed or removed. The tuner is a much better solution. You must of course also replace the DPF and DOC with a piece of exhaust cut to fit. The sensors can be plugged in to the new pipe (if so equipped) 0r capped off and tied down (with Spartan or H&S tuners).

Removing, upgrading, blocking off or deactivating the EGR system may remove a problem area from the truck. But, I've been on this forum since 09 and read most every post, the 6.4 EGR coolers do not fail often. I think the fear of them failing is a carry over from the 6.0. Just shutting off the EGR stops the crap from being re-circulated back into the intake and that's a good thing. Either Spartan or H&S will do that.

The two most popular tuners for the 6.4 are H&S and Spartan. H&S now (after the EPA agreement) sells only "street" tuners. The street version will not allow the DPF to be deleted.

Both H&S and Spartan will allow the tranny shifts to be adjusted. Edge will not. Edge also (after their agreement with the EPA) will sell only "DPF on" tuners.

As far as I know Spartan is still openly doing business, check their web site. To get an H&S that will let you delete you will have to go through a speed shop that will reprogram the street version for you or find one on ebay or craigs. Same for Edge.

When you delete and tune the truck you are violating a federal law and maybe a state law depending where you live. Also know that I blew a head gasket last summer. Repair including ARP studs and EGR blocks cost me 5700 bucks (that is not a misprint). So, if you want to play be prepared to pay. You know, just in case.

This thread contains some of the largest MPG increases I have read or heard of for the 6.4L. I gained about 10 to 15% which I think is typical and what has been reported many times on FTE. To know what you are getting you must hand calculate, the truck reported numbers are not dependable. To hand calculate you must fill the tank to the same level which requires more patience than I have. But if you really want to know fill to the filler neck, drive it until almost out then fill to the filler neck again. Then do the rithmetic. If the first number in the answer is a 2, re-compute.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good **** there Stanley... you always make me laugh! That description is pretty dead on!

Old 02-05-2014, 10:59 PM
665 Almostevil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i did turbo back exhaust and intake with sct tuner and got a very big increase in mileage. I also deleted the dpf and egr. getting around 19mpg on stock tires. with a heavy foot

Old 02-06-2014, 01:19 PM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by 665 Almostevil
... got a very big increase in mileage ... getting around 19mpg on stock tires. with a heavy foot
No disrespect at all, but hard to believe out of a 6.4

6.0 Easily achievable but 6.4's are different story.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:00 PM
665 Almostevil
New User
Originally Posted by BROWN DOG KTM
No disrespect at all, but hard to believe out of a 6.4

6.0 Easily achievable but 6.4's are different story.
None taken the truck is stripped down inside and out standard cab 2 wheel drive. cac tube egr delete with both coolers removed full 5inch exhaust livewire tuner with custom tunes ford fuel additive and a newly rebuilt and tuned turbo. And i think 430s (previous owner mod) royal purple threw out truck as well. 18.86mpg is my best so far it is negative 11 where i live hoping it gets better with the weather. Is that anymore believable?

Old 02-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it would've been more believable if you had stated the mods, etc. first... most guys come on here saying they have a crew cab lariat 4wd/35's claiming crazy mileages.... I've never got the whole being full of **** thing.. I have a mini maxx 250hp tune afe stage 2 turbo back exhaust 37's/20's on 6' lift.. I get between 11-13 mixed driving which I'm happy with... you know what your buying when you buy it.. and especially if you lift them.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:06 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
None taken the truck is stripped down inside and out standard cab 2 wheel drive. cac tube egr delete with both coolers removed full 5inch exhaust livewire tuner with custom tunes ford fuel additive and a newly rebuilt and tuned turbo. And i think 430s (previous owner mod) royal purple threw out truck as well. 18.86mpg is my best so far it is negative 11 where i live hoping it gets better with the weather. Is that anymore believable?
When you say 430s are you talking about the rear axle ratio? I'm doubtful, but I guess someone could do that to an otherwise pretty light duty truck but why? What was he towing or hauling? My DRW truck is 4.30 and it will tow a heavy trailer up a tall pine tree, but it will never ever get anywhere near 18 MPG except maybe down a mine shaft.

I'm thinking it might have been upgraded to the higher ratio, I think it's 3.31 which wasn't available in 08. That would also explain how you are able to get such good mileage.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:54 PM
Booma
Junior User
StanleyZ,

When you blew your head gasket were you running a very high tune?. I ask as I am getting ready to tune and do a DPF delete and EGR shutoff with a Spartan tune. Since I am only wanting to rid my truck of the DPF and EGR I plan to use the lowest tune that Spartan offers to do so, the 40HP NEGR DPF delete. I am guessing that in hinsdsight whatever you were running you probably would have done the ARP headstuds when you tuned. But if I plan on running low tunes only do you think I will be OK without the ARP headstuds?

Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 PM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
... standard cab 2 wheel drive ...
I appologize :
2wd reg cab & especially if it has 3.55 axle - that totally explains it

I guess I think all trucks are 4x4, CC and / or DRW

Old 02-06-2014, 09:01 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Booma
StanleyZ,

When you blew your head gasket were you running a very high tune?. I ask as I am getting ready to tune and do a DPF delete and EGR shutoff with a Spartan tune. Since I am only wanting to rid my truck of the DPF and EGR I plan to use the lowest tune that Spartan offers to do so, the 40HP NEGR DPF delete. I am guessing that in hinsdsight whatever you were running you probably would have done the ARP headstuds when you tuned. But if I plan on running low tunes only do you think I will be OK without the ARP headstuds?
There are a couple long threads about it on here beginning in August. I've had two tuners, an edge and then an H&S. I have never had either one off the lowest power setting except once. I updated it on line and the names of the tunes were changed. One was renamed "tow". It is a plus 60 HP tune. I went on the H&S web site trying to learn if they had made some change that would make me want to tow in the tow tune. Couldn't get a good answer so I was playing with it and when I started on my trip I may not have changed it back to stock tune. Anyway, about 5 hours into the trip I went over Mount Eagle TN, a pretty stout pull with my trailer. The next morning my coolant was low. I thought it was air working out from the tranny work I had done but after weeks of trial and error I finally proved it was a HG. The rest was easy. I had the studs done when they did the HGs. A few hundred bucks and I don't have to worry about another HG. So, learn from my error. It's not as easy to screw up with the Spartan as with the H&S which has on the fly changes. I just have to push a button to change the tune. But, always tow on stock. To this day I don't remember when I changed that tuner back to the stock setting but I pulled the same trailer over that mountain probably a dozen times before and had no problem. So, I'm thinking that's what happened.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:48 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BROWN DOG KTM
I appologize :
2wd reg cab & especially if it has 3.55 axle - that totally explains it

I guess I think all trucks are 4x4, CC and / or DRW
Yep, my 2 WD 3.73 axel KR in the summer gets mixed freeway/city MPG of 19 almost every week, the winter gas and it's couple minute warm up on these 0 degree days brings it down to around 14.
Goodness I can hardly wait for spring(and it's not because of the MPG), were tired of this white stuff.