Sponsored by: DP Tuner

o.t. crooked repair shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 11:24 PM
tappit01
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
o.t. crooked repair shop

so my brother calls me today around noon and wants my opinion on what to do. his little S-10 was making a growling noise yesterday and now wont start. he took it to a local auto shop first thing this morning to have it checked out " I don't no why he didn't call me first" and they called him a few hours latter to say his motor was locked up and the truck was scrap now, but offered him $200 for it because they had an old engine on hand. or if he wanted, they would sell him that engine and install it for $900 . they even said they tried to turn it over with a breaker bar and it would not budge. but my brother said to me that he thought it was trying to turn over when he was trying to start it. " he can barely change his own oil, bless his heart". so I go get him with a chain and another truck , we go to the shop and the so called mechanic is telling me all this same crap about being toast. I tell them I want it for a abstract yard ornament at my place and we hook up the chain. they just stood there watching as we started to pull out. I told my brother before we left to turn the key on and put it in third gear , and as soon as we hit the street to dump the clutch. he did, and it fired right up.
I flipped them the bird as we went on down the road back to the house.

turns out the alternator froze up solid and from them trying to start it, they fried the starter too. those two parts and a new belt and its good as ever.

sorry for the complaining , but those kind of places just frost my azz

Old 04-13-2013, 11:53 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Totally understandable.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:03 AM
DISLFVR
Locomotive breath

I hear ya...hard to find trustworthy and ethical these days.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Im so sick of shops/mechanics that pull this crap with people.
If all they can fix is the hole in their wallet... they need to have the shop doors welded shut.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:12 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,975 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Don't try to make it sound like none of you have ever made a mistake.

Oh wait, I know why the misdiagnosis was made....
The mechanic didn't get on a forum to ask what was wrong with the vehicle. I mean, there isn't a person in the world should fix ANYTHING without asking others what they THINK might be the problem.

I have seen it happen many times. It's called "jumping to conclusions" and my bet is that it was simply overlooked. Move on and live another day.

This thread is like the "So-and-so dealership is the worst EVER!!" thread that came and went a couple weeks ago. What would we do without social media? Oh, we'd all perish I'm sure.

"We've got a pinhole in our flat-bottom fishing boat that is easily plugged with a finger!!! JUMP SHIP!!!!!"

Old 04-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the revised signature Cody.

And i agree with your position to an extent... but...

Being a good mechanic doesnt mean you have to know everything about every engine...
Having the ability and know how to research those problems when they arise however...

When you have a medical issue... and go visit the meat magicians... the time between when the doc first sees you, and the final visit... guess what homeslice is doing in the back room?

If/when i break something... i dont blame the customer... i own up to it immediately and make it right. I dont claim to know everything... hell, i proudly proclaim i know squat...

A man who has nothing to learn... is a man i will learn little from.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:35 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Cleatus, what is your deal lately? Yes people, and shops because they are run by fallible people, make mistakes and MAYBE this shop made a mistake, but mechanic shops are SUPPOSED to be the "experts" that get it right a hell of a lot more then they get it wrong. To say that a customer needs a new engine when in fact, they need a starter and an alternator smacks of pure incompetence or worse, and for someone to come here and call them out (and not even name the shop, so no harm done to the shop btw)for it and seek a little bit of support from friends on the internet, what do you have a problem with?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Any good shop has internet and will check if they have a problem they can't figure out.

A simple lock up like in this case should be an easy diagnostics no matter what the vehicle is. The very first thing that should have been done is the belt pulled and everything checked to free turning.

Now lots of times it is not the shops fault for a bad diagnostics. Many shop owners aren't technical savvy and are at the mercy of what the mechanics tell them is wrong. Along the same lines every shop normally has multiple techs which should have made the rounds if one couldn't figure out the problem. Also every shop should have a head mech. which should be very knowledgeable and know how to properly diagnose any problem that comes threw the doors. This is the go to guy in all shops for the interns.

Also there are the backwoods shops which this one sounds like where they have a mech. that "knows it all" and a owner that believes him. I have ran across these shops everywhere and in every form from vehicles, marine, welding, down to computer programers.

Unfortunately it is trial by error to weed out these places which normally just cost you money. It helps to ask around and ask MANY where is the best place to go and even still you will get a few that will refer you to the crap shop. The best people to ask are normally the car/truck people, the ones that work on their own stuff. Many will tell you they won't trust anyone to touch their junk but if they had to they would take it "here".

The worst places normally to go are the ones that look like a junkyard. Along the same lines the corporation/chain places normally just throw your money at your vehicle until they hit the right part.

It takes some time but once you find that one great place that actually takes time to diagnose and does it right stick with them and help by spreading the good word about them.

I don't hesitate one bit to point people in the right direction and away from the bad places.

I don't like to brag for myself (other people normally do that for me) but I have had people come from many other states to have me work on their vehicle. Just like the BTS and John woods guys, when you do good work people talk and come from miles around.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:22 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
C'mon Cody. Your motor is trash I"ll give you $200 for your truck is a little different than a misdiagnosis. I get that everyone makes mistakes, but mistakes are supposed to be kept to a minimum if you're paying a professional to do the work.

When was the last time you confused a seized alternator for a bad motor?

Old 04-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by F350-6
C'mon Cody. Your motor is trash I"ll give you $200 for your truck is a little different than a misdiagnosis. I get that everyone makes mistakes, but mistakes are supposed to be kept to a minimum if you're paying a professional to do the work.

When was the last time you confused a seized alternator for a bad motor?

hahaha

I have seen multiple thread on FTE where ford dealerships have told their customers their motors are junk and need a replacement. Then come to find out pretty much every time it was something fairly simple.

When its not their money it is easy for them to tell you "yup, you need a new motor".

Old 04-14-2013, 06:19 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
hahaha

I have seen multiple thread on FTE where ford dealerships have told their customers their motors are junk and need a replacement. Then come to find out pretty much every time it was something fairly simple.

When its not their money it is easy for them to tell you "yup, you need a new motor".
Yes, but to be fair. I've also seen folks on the forum recommend replacing parts that didn't fix the problem. The bad diagnosis can work both ways. At least you don't read Oh, you have to replace the engine too often around here.

And back to the OP. Just to be on the safe side, be careful about popping a clutch when someone things the motor is seized. Just in case they're right, the best case is some squealing tires. Worst case is the chain/mount breaks and goes flying through a window doing some serious harm.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 PM
tappit01
Elder User
lot of good points made, especially the one about that chain takin me out. it was a back yard type shop that does kinda look like a junk yard.
but I think it just boils down to the punk that worked their thought he could take advantage of someone that is clue less about working on motors.
I would say the owner who probably is a good mechanic , just took the other guys word. i'm just glad I was able to help my brother out and save him some cash.