Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
New User

58 Ford Man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy 1958 Remod

Greetings! I have a 1958 Ford F-100 Short bed pickup that I am in the process of restoring/modding/repairing, and I am having a beast of a time trying to find anyone who has access to a steering gear box for this truck. I have found a few places that will rebuild mine, but it involves shipping the core cross country (I'm on the East Coast), having it rebuilt to the tune of upwards of 500 dollars for starters, then having it shipped back. Not a real big fan of this idea as it seems there are just way too many things that can go wrong during that trek. Does anyone have any ideas for something that might be a close fit or functional replacement for this box? I haven't driven it for three years, since my ex wife was scared it would kill me as it has over a half a steering wheel's play in it before it engages, but I'm itching to get this thing back on the road. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Postmaster

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome to FTE. You can rebuild your steering box yourself. Not really a lot to them if your not afraid to tear into something new. There have been multiple discussions here about the topic.

You might find this thread interesting http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...1960-f600.html

The steering boxes from the larger trucks will fit in the F100's with a few modifications. I have a box out of a F500 in mine. A little bit bigger gives you more mechanical advantage which translates to easier steering. I would also be surprised if your worn steering box was the only factor in your steering slop. Those front ends get pretty loose after 50 - 60 years.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Postmaster

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
By the way, if the picture in your sig is your truck, it looks like a '59 hood, of course you may already know that.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 PM
New User

Wow! Thanks a ton for the info. I'll see if someone in that thread can help me out with parts and stuff for a rebuild. I love this place already. I've been a member on several forums over the years and getting any type of response on those was like an act of congress. Much appreciated!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:52 PM
New User

It is and actually I didn't find that out until about a year later with some research, but that's a sharp eye you have there. I actually like the style better so I'm leaving it for now.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Postmaster

Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.
The '59-60 Hood usually don't fit very well because the Beaks are deeper & hits the Grille, so it's a good possibility the P/O moded it so it would fit.
Blue '58 Mercury M-100 Panel 223 I-6 w/ M-O-M
Black 1893 Henry Ford Quadra-Cycle (replica)
My Replies Are Not Meant In An Offensive Way.... Ever, They Are Merely.... Straight Answers or Comments
Old 03-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Senior User

FJones8668 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree 100% about the larger steering boxes being the way to go. I just got one in mine and I love it. They are a stronger box and will last even though they are only slightly larger.
When I went to check out that MH 4x4 F-600 I couldn't believe that they were using the same gearbox as the f-350's but they did and the original box in that truck was still tight and steered nice!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Postmaster

It's hard to believe how beautiful a pic of that much rust and grease can be!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Posting Guru

Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.Walston has a good reputation on FTE.
If you want to consider power steering, see this technical article.

Toyota Steering Box Swap For 1948-1960 Trucks .: Articles

http://bigjohnstractor.com/
Old 07-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Freshman User

ireding is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does any one know if the toyota power steering mod safe to do on a larger truck (1957 F600)? Has anyone tried it?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 PM
Posting Guru

mont974x4 is a splendid one to beholdmont974x4 is a splendid one to beholdmont974x4 is a splendid one to beholdmont974x4 is a splendid one to beholdmont974x4 is a splendid one to beholdmont974x4 is a splendid one to beholdmont974x4 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for this info
Old 08-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Postmaster

Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.Col Flashman has a good reputation on FTE.
Two things that I believe that they Do Not explain about this conversion.

1: You lose the used of the Horn Button on your Steering Wheel as there's no place for the wire to run out of any more, because the end of the Hollow Shaft is now welded over.

2: There's a Rubber Bumper Stop mounted on the Frame Rail for when the truck Bottoms Out, that they Remove because it's in the way & it's removal has caused some problems for me & others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mont974x4 View Post
Thanks for this info
Blue '58 Mercury M-100 Panel 223 I-6 w/ M-O-M
Black 1893 Henry Ford Quadra-Cycle (replica)
My Replies Are Not Meant In An Offensive Way.... Ever, They Are Merely.... Straight Answers or Comments
Old 08-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Posting Guru

mont974x4 is a splendid one to beholdmont974x4 is a splendid one to beholdmont974x4 is a splendid one to beholdmont974x4 is a splendid one to beholdmont974x4 is a splendid one to beholdmont974x4 is a splendid one to beholdmont974x4 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the additional info.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 PM
Elder User

Damifiknow is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've done Toyota swap on a 51 and everything was great. Gonna start the swap on my 60 in a few weeks.

There is a kit from Mid fifty to keep horn in steering wheel.

Horn Conversion, FStock Column, Toyota Steering - Ford F-100 Parts
Old 08-14-2013, 04:48 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks