2000 Ford E150 V6, 4.2 Tranny Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 AM
2000FordE150V6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Ford E150 V6, 4.2 Tranny Issues?

Hi All,

First I just wanna give cudos to this site. Had an issue occur it went as follows: I came home from work one day and as I was slowly gliding into my driveway....I felt the van downshift which I thought was unusual, but didn't think much of it. The next day went to work and well it was running very funny...I thought it felt like the tranny was slipping. It would slam in gear. I would accelarate to maybe 55-65mph and I would just have to let go of the gas and it would downshift like it was sucking to much air. I wasn't sure what to make of it. It would feel like it was skipping or misfiring and and loose power and then slam into gear. But no check engine light. So I assumed it was the tranny. Same dame drove it home and the check engine light came on. Pulled code P0171! "the mechanics I spoke with automatically assumed MAF sensor. We cleaned it and it ran better than it ever did. shifted fine had more power than ever. Almost made it home and check engine light came on!!!! Next day pulled codes and 2 codes P0171 & P0174 so assumption O2 sensor Passengar side before CAT. Replaced O2 and reset. P0171 came back on. Replaced MAF sensor ran it and P0171 & P0174 came on???? All this time I had the same issues with lack of power and it slamming into gear or skippin wasn't sure what to make of it. I read many posts on here and after reading PVC or rotted PVC line....I decided to investigate those issues. I had replaced the PVC when I replaced O2 sensor. I went out at lunch time and looked around. What did I find! A hose from PVC filter that had some bends on it and plugged into this round black thing was rotted (not sure what the black thing is called) but this hosed plugged into front and it had another hose plugged on side. Anyways it was a dealer part so I ordered, thinking my problems would be solved and I wouldn't reach work in the morning at 6:30 and have stomach pains anymore!....So part came in with a bunch of other hoses and 90 elbows.....I didn't know where the other hose plugged in that had the 90 rubber elbow...couldn't see and well i'm also in the process of starting a business and just wanted to get it running normal.....so I just took the rubber hose that had bends in it and put that on! Reset codes and it ran fine and then Boom....back to the stress....same issues......I wasn't sure the the F was going on...called a buddy/mechanic took it by he sprayed some brake fluid cleaner to check for vacuum leaks/head gasket leak....no fluctuation in idle. He suggested getting it scoped...of course my luck.....so got back on this forum and read some more....Well came across the 90 degree rubber boot...that was part of the part I got from dealer....read the root.....figured I'd give it another shot after work.......read others brought vehicles to dealers with similar issues and paid hundreds to be in same boat.....so tried to find where that hose went and was able to reach...but I tell you not an easy thing to get your hands on. It went to the back of the throttle Assy...took it out....looked at it....looked fine...Bent it and guess what I found....a hole and dry rot....Got other part that I bought from dealer put it on...and cleared codes....and drove it home...I was flying and I will tell you...what a good feeling.....but wasn't convinced that this was the end of my problems....the real test would be going to work in morning.....sure enough.....on way to work....back to original slammin...slipping.....and here I am....checked codes...but nothing popped up since replacing 90 degree rubber boot....also changed plugs.....

I also forgot to mention......I thought it was the tranny so brought it to the tranny place and they took it for a spin and said torque converter shot....1,200.00 to fix.....before....when I was driving one evening...and trying to get somewhere....I got pissed because it wouldn't shift out of I think first...so I stepped on gas and it didn't shift until about 50...and then OD light started flashin and I was like...that was a smart thing....but I guess frusteration......so it never flashed again.....and I had pulled codes and I think it said P1730....but it was the code for TCC solenoid.

I'm not sure where I am at after all that and what my options are....I don't know if it is the Torque converter or just the TCC solenoid....or what it is......I was hoping someone could weigh in after all the info....

Thanks

Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
If I knew what codes were really set I probably could help you. I am not familiar with P1730.

There are several TCC codes. Some mean a solenoid or wiring problem, some mean a torque converter or hydraulic problem. With the info that you've shared all I can say for certain is that something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 AM
4.2 v6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wondering if you resolve this? I have a 2001 4.2 (90,000 miles)and I keep getting the P0174 code. I also have some skipping in the transmission when I step on it, like it is taking to long to shift. I never put these two together, my focus was on the check engine light so I could get it inspected. I cleaned my MAF sensor and checked for visible vacuum leaks and it just went on again. Have you repaired yours yet? Thanks