Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4R100 Automatic Transmission flush-pics and video

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 12:05 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
The explanation a few posts back about why a filter is used in the hydraulic system of an auto hauler trailer is suspect. The scenario given would have the filter on the high-pressure side of the system, which VERY rarely happens due to the costs involved.

Given the relatively-low pressures involved, placement in the high side might be acceptable in our transmission cooler lines, but not in a system such as our power steering and hydroboost brakes, where any filtration must be placed in a fluid return line.

While all the failure scenarios given are completely possible, careful thought to design, sizing, and proper materials goes a LONG way toward reliability.

And no, I don't use Wix filters, not even their Gold, as I don't believe them to be "the best".

I get tired of how many people are "shocked" in today's world, and over what things. Surprised? Sure. Shocked? Really?

I haven't added filtration because of marketing hype. I added it because it should be there, and the OEMs generally go cheap to add to their bottom line. Ask Mark about the evolution of Engineering's role in a product after it's mature and reliable.

Pop

Old 11-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
It is coarse until it starts catching debris, then it starts to close up and catch smaller and smaller particles, then the trans fails.
That's not what I've seen happen. The order I've seen it happen is the trans fails, then the filter catches a ton of debris and gets clogged.

I've inspected very high mileage filters that had very, very little debris caught in them. The highest mileage one I saw was 369,000 miles on the original filter. The trans was in an ambulance and we had all of it's service records from day one. The only reason the trans was removed was the van was totalled in a wreck.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
Well said. They make it sound so good... but in the end they are there to make money by making you believe you need it. Marketing is a wonderful thing and many people fall for it. Makes them feel better.

I'm shocked I have not heard anyone mention to just CHANGE the DAMN fluid on a regular basis ! If you do that, and early enough, I think your trans will live a lot longer.
Yep everything I buy for my truck is because of great marketing, even the diesel i put in it...come on man. I add filters to help the longevity of components on my truck. Yes changing the fluid is also critical but good filtering is also critical imo.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
The explanation a few posts back about why a filter is used in the hydraulic system of an auto hauler trailer is suspect. The scenario given would have the filter on the high-pressure side of the system, which VERY rarely happens due to the costs involved.

Pop

That is a good point, I didn't think about that. I guess I was thinking more of other systems where the filter is after the pump to catch pump debris to save the rest of the system. In high pressure systems that isn't as possible.

At the same time there are many fluid systems that use no filtration anywhere at all. First one that comes to mind is my overhead hoist, very similar to any hydro/ram system yet never has any problems. Many of hydro drive lawn mowers have "sealed for life" units that also never get fluid changes or have any filtration and outlast the mower.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:05 AM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I guess I was thinking more of other systems where the filter is after the pump to catch pump debris to save the rest of the system.
While we're talking trailers and attachments, I'll give a perspective.

Think about the attachment you borrow, rent, or has sat for a while with hydraulic fluid in it. As soon as you attach it and operate the valve...you get the potential of a nice mixture of "nasty" going straight into the tractor

Back OT....

I'd probably add a filter to the trans, but right now other things are on the table.

Starting to think I could have downloaded a set of CAD plans for an Excursion and collected all new parts to assemble from scratch and been just about as far ahead

Good discussion, all. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2015, 03:03 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
While we're talking trailers and attachments, I'll give a perspective.

Think about the attachment you borrow, rent, or has sat for a while with hydraulic fluid in it. As soon as you attach it and operate the valve...you get the potential of a nice mixture of "nasty" going straight into the tractor

That is scary! I don't think I would rent any attachments with hydro if I had a tractor.

How about that same attachment deal for a tracked machine with hydro drive?

Old 11-14-2015, 06:16 PM
milehi_350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rebuild of the bypass valve was a success. The camera on my I phone doesn't focus anymore or I would have taken a bunch of pictures and posted. It was a very easy job though and probably not worthy of a write up.
Trans now has fresh fluid and is good to go. Thanks for the write up Mark. It was a piece of cake now that everything is in working order.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:50 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone has their ideas and beliefs. If it works good for you guys that is great!

I am just going of personal experience which varies for everyone. Over the years I have seen more added on parts fail at a higher percentage rate than factory parts. Any time you add anything you are adding another possible fail part/point. This goes for al parts but since we are talking fluids we will stick to that only here. Say you added a spin on filter and housing to your trans cooler line (a path that should have no restriction). First you need to cut the line and add in the housing to accept the filter. What kind of connections are you using for that line now? Some rubber hose, barbed fittings, and some hose clamps I assume in most cases. Now instead of a single line with a single connection at the radiator/trans cooler you now have 3 connections, fittings, hose clamps. You just tripled the possible connection leak possibilities. You added in an aluminum housing to the system which should be a solid unit and never fail, but aluminum likes to crack. Once again this may never happen but the possibility is there and many times aftermarket little companies don't have the best forging methods and voids in the castings are bad. Next you spin on some filter, probably a wix because you want the best for your truck obviously since you added a filter in the first place. You expect this filter to work as it should but again it is another possible fail point. The filter can spin off on its own.
With this logic, you should only be driving a manual tranny just because of the possibilities for additional failure.

If you plan properly, buy the best, anything is possible but that chance of failure...is probably remote at best.

It becomes a balance of risks vs benefits. I'll go with the filtering side myself.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:12 AM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
With this logic, you should only be driving a manual tranny just because of the possibilities for additional failure.

If you plan properly, buy the best, anything is possible but that chance of failure...is probably remote at best.

It becomes a balance of risks vs benefits. I'll go with the filtering side myself.
no, he is saying that what Ford puts in is a whole lot more bulletproof and tested than what you think you should add to make it better.
The 4R100 is a pretty stout transmission when serviced on time (except for the few unlucky ones w mechanical diode?)

Old 11-19-2015, 11:22 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Understood but still disagree. Risk vs reward.

If you look at my signature, my 4r100 does have over 320,000 original miles and to your point. Regular service is paramount, with or without add ons.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:56 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Yes, pretty much everything in life has a risk vs reward list that has to be thought out and estimated if it is what sounds good to you.

My DD car does have a manual transmission BTW.

Old 11-20-2015, 03:01 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
... Risk vs reward. .....
I guess I'm beating this theme to distraction, so this will be my final comment in this thread.

Using decent engineering skills, one can maximize the reward while reducing the risk to near nil.

If you know what you're doing and use the correct materials, one can feel confident that there won't be a problem.

But you gotta' know what you're doing if you want to minimize those self-doubts, too.

I've been running an in-line spin-on transmission filter in my last three or four daily drivers without so much as a drip, nick, or dent. I feel it is a very good investment, and will continue to do so.

As always, YMMV (but you are able to increase your own odds).

Pop

Old 03-12-2016, 12:21 PM
0x6A7232
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I had some work done to patch the cooling lines in my 99 Expy, and before I had it done, I stupidly put ~2 quarts of Mercon LV in to keep the level up until said work was done (Believed back of bottle which said Merc V compatible).

Afterwards, I did a pan drop & filter change without flushing, and filled with Merc V and Lucas Transmission Fix.

Should I replace the filter when I do the flush? (to get rid of the LV + Merc III + Merc V + who knows what every shop and owner has put in this thing so far {~210,000 miles})

Or should I just drain the filter as best I can and re-use it?

I guess I'm asking if the slight amount of LV left in the filter is likely to cause any problems.

Also, is Lucas Transmission Fix harmful? I've read glowing reviews from fleet operators who use it all the time to horror stories about destroyed seals (but if they were destroyed before putting the fix in...)

Would you say this review is accurate?
Lucas Transmission Fix Review [an expert's opinion]

Anyways. Any and all replies & opinions appreciated.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:02 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I duobt the residual oil in filter will matter,I run high quality synthetic transmission fluid,which I feel is more than adequate lubricant,I feel that extra additives is a crap shoot in helping or hindering a carefully formulated fluid.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:10 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

ox,
I can tell you that I use it in my 4r100 Expy with over 320k miles and years of pulling boats and toy trailers.
I started using it when my tranny shuttered between 3rd and od.
Even after flushing, it didn't go away until I added a quart and drove it for a few hours.
I'm comfortable using in this tranny, knowing the filter isn't a very fine micro media type filter, allowing it to potentially plug it up due to its viscosity thickness.

Quick Reply: 4R100 Automatic Transmission flush-pics and video