FTE Legend
Received 5,240 Likes on 1,707 Posts
Yes that's a good idea Jeff

Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 AM
koski19
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Thanks for the addition. I was too scared to do an analysis on this change. Probably not the next change either (planning on a 10k second flush) but after that I'll prolly send in trans and engine oil for some info.
Jeff....have an analysis completed on the next trans oil change. This will give you a base line reading for future analysis. This way you'll know what the readings are and if any problems start to show. When I worked in the auto industry we used different terminology between a flush and a fluid exchange. A flush meant a chemical was used to flush out the transmission (not a good procedure) a fluid exchange meant new fluid introduced without any chemicals. I worked at a Chev/Jeep dealer where we used to flush out transmission for the service. Several came back with tranny problems. After an investigation and research found that the chemicals used were too harsh for the transmission clutch packs and internal workings. The shop then adopted the fluid exchange program and it had worked well. Sharing some info from my experience.

Jeff

Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 AM
DND58
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
So is there a part number for the deep pan filter? This can be purchased alone, with out a pan gasket, correct?

Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure on part numbers. I went to napa here, and they asked if it was deep or shallow, of which I picked wrong. It came with a cork pan gasket, but stated that the gasket was only for use on 98 and older transmissions. 99 and up were fitted with reusable gaskets.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 AM
micmoslof
New User
I have a question before I start the tranny flush about fluid temps.. I have always drained my engine oil with a warm engine so I guess I would do the same for tranny? Obviously right off the road might be too hot to drop the pan but shouldn't it be at least warm to help the fluids flow? What do you all suggest? Thanks for all the help!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:11 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
I did it with fluid at about 100*. I ran and got what I needed and started as soon as I got home. I would say doing it on a warm engine is a good practice because you are going to be cranking the truck several times. The engine will thank you for sure.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by micmoslof
I have a question before I start the tranny flush about fluid temps.. I have always drained my engine oil with a warm engine so I guess I would do the same for tranny? Obviously right off the road might be too hot to drop the pan but shouldn't it be at least warm to help the fluids flow? What do you all suggest? Thanks for all the help!
I like to do a warm drain. I place a bucket under the pan, pull the plug, and then let it drain and stop dripping before dropping the pan. I don't get in a hurry and usually drop the oil when I get home from work on Friday and let it drain overnight.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:23 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mueckster
I like to do a warm drain. I place a bucket under the pan, pull the plug, and then let it drain and stop dripping before dropping the pan. I don't get in a hurry and usually drop the oil when I get home from work on Friday and let it drain overnight.
Not a bad idea, I did have a pretty good spill when I dropped the pan because of what was left in the pan and filter, and there was constant dripping until I put the pan back on.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 PM
b737drvr
Freshman User
Thanks for posting this Jeff. I can't wait to get started on this project next weekend! The post about letting the pan drain overnight is a great idea! I had planned on using SuperTech (Walmart) Mercon/Dextron atf. (sold by the gallon) Anybody have any comments or cautions on this?

Old 03-01-2013, 01:02 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by b737drvr
Thanks for posting this Jeff. I can't wait to get started on this project next weekend! The post about letting the pan drain overnight is a great idea! I had planned on using SuperTech (Walmart) Mercon/Dextron atf. (sold by the gallon) Anybody have any comments or cautions on this?
I would say as long as it's marketed for Mercon V, you're ok. From what I understand, Ford doesn't monitor regular Mercon anymore, but still keeps an eye on Mercon V (which is what is recommended ). Mobil 1 full synth is probably at the top of the list, I used a slightly cheaper Valvoline full synth that is a good fluid.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:46 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Use the type of fluid it says in the owners manual

Old 03-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,590 Likes on 1,064 Posts
The information in the owner's manual is outdated. It says to use MERCON, but Ford doesn't license the production of MERCON fluid any longer. There is NO genuine MERCON fluid being produced anywhere. There are a lot of fluids that say they are for use in applications that used MERCON, but are they MERCON fluids? Nobody is checking.

Ford changed the specs for MERCON V in 2006 to make it compatible with the 4R100.

MERCON V is the right fluid for a 4R100 now, not MERCON.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Thx for clearing that up Mark, I was hoping you would be along

Old 03-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I was waiting for the hose to turn bright red or pink in the video. Seems it got cleaner but it wasn't like a light switch when I did my flush. When I did mine (20 quarts) the last run, the fluid was dark brown and then like I said, like a light switch the fluid turned bright red/pink coming threw the hose.

My original fluid I believe never changed in 160K miles:

Right after the trans flush I did my power steering/brake booster flush with the same fluid and hose.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:57 AM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
No light switch. It cleared up around the 1 minute mark though. It would have been easier to see without the asphalt background. I was waiting for the air, but then I did the math in my head and realized I'd already wasted 3 quarts of new fluid.

I also used the same setup for the PS flush as well.

Quick Reply: 4R100 Automatic Transmission flush-pics and video