1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

'06 Expedition Fuel Pump/FPDM

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 01:35 PM
jmfrost
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Expedition Fuel Pump/FPDM

Recently my '06 Expy with 96k miles suddenly died and refused to start. Replaced the fuel filter and #12 fuse to the fuel pump and it started but died again a couple minutes later. Checked the fuse and it was blown again. Did some searching around and it seems the consensus is the fuel pump or the fuel pump driver module. But before I drop cash on these parts, I'd like to know if there's a good way to test each (layman terms) before replacing an expensive part that may not really need to be replaced. I've read some posts that mention unplugging one part at a time, try to start, and if the fuse doesn't blow, then that part is the faulty one. Will that sufficiently rule out the problem part?

Also, I know you're not supposed to run your tank dry (and I really don't) but I had someone tell me that you're not supposed to run below 1/4 tank because the pump submerged in the fuel keeps it cool and running it below 1/4 causes it to run hot and shortens its life. Can someone validate that as fact? Again, I don't run mine bone dry, but I do get close to empty periodically and fill it up completely when it does. Guess I was just a little bothered about that statement because I don't see anything in my manual that says to never let it go below 1/4 tank. And even though the manual can't be all encompassing, I would like to think something like that would be mentioned.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:55 PM
alloro
Received 4,216 Likes on 2,446 Posts
Originally Posted by jmfrost
because the pump submerged in the fuel keeps it cool and running it below 1/4 causes it to run hot and shortens its life. Can someone validate that as fact?
Consider it validated. The fuel acts as a heat sink, so when the pump is not submerged it runs hotter. That's not to say never run your tank below a 1/2, it's just something you should not do as a routine, especially in hot climates.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:22 PM
jmfrost
Junior User
Originally Posted by alloro
Consider it validated. The fuel acts as a heat sink, so when the pump is not submerged it runs hotter. That's not to say never run your tank below a 1/2, it's just something you should not do as a routine, especially in hot climates.
Thanks for the info. Would be nice of manufacturers to let people know this. I know Ford isn't the only one that does it this way though.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Diverdom
Senior User
Same thing happened to me last week. 2006 navigator. most likely the driver module is at fault. the module sits on the frame rail and the metal backside rots out allowing crap to get in there to mess with the magic. try taking yours out and looking at the back of the module if there is a hole that's were I'd put my money. Good luck. Dom

Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 PM
jmfrost
Junior User
Everyone was right on. It was the Fuel Pump Driver module. I'll try to post pics of mine later, but my corrosion was really bad and had a hole about the size of a quarter in the back and the circuit board was scorched. We launch and retrive a boat quite frequently and looks like this part is in a location where it would be submerged or splashed with enough water to speed up the corrosion. The debris from the corrosion fell out like sand from an hour glass.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ixed-pics.html

Does anyone know the years and models of Fords this in an issue for?