Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Edge vs Escape

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 AM
hop
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge vs Escape

I posted this under Edge but want to hear from the Escape owner, also.

Consumer Reports gives higher marks for the Escape than the Edge but both are lower than the competition. The Edge is given low marks for reliability but I have not seen any consumers expression a common problem other than with MFT and the CR history gives good marks for the last 3 years. Are the maintenance and resale value really that bad?

Which to pick? The cargo room is nearly the same although the Edge looks bigger. The Edge is heavier with a V6 better for towing and I would expect ride better and be better in snow and mountainous driving.

While the mpg of the competition 4 banger's is a big plus, they are noisy and probably not as comfortable on cross country trips, especially through mountains. The Explorer appears to have mixed views and also, given low marks by CR and it's a little larger than I really need but haven't completely discounted it.

I'm looking for the best fit 5-7 passenger for long drives, camping, and mountains. MPG is a big factor but I want power to get up mountains and around pokes.

Let me hear your side.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:55 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Unless your passengers have been on a diet, 5-7 people aren't going to fit into an Escape, and likely not into an Edge. The Escape has 5 seat belts, ergo, 5 passenger. The Edge, I think, is the same. I think the Escape has more room, but don't know if it will seat 7 either.
If you want some size, with even decent mpg, take a look at the Flex. They have room, and actually are better on mpg than the Escape. How? I don't have a clue, except their engine is .5l larger, and may be geared for longer legs???
tom

Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM
tcesni
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hop
I posted this under Edge but want to hear from the Escape owner, also.

Consumer Reports gives higher marks for the Escape than the Edge but both are lower than the competition. The Edge is given low marks for reliability but I have not seen any consumers expression a common problem other than with MFT and the CR history gives good marks for the last 3 years. Are the maintenance and resale value really that bad?

Which to pick? The cargo room is nearly the same although the Edge looks bigger. The Edge is heavier with a V6 better for towing and I would expect ride better and be better in snow and mountainous driving.

While the mpg of the competition 4 banger's is a big plus, they are noisy and probably not as comfortable on cross country trips, especially through mountains. The Explorer appears to have mixed views and also, given low marks by CR and it's a little larger than I really need but haven't completely discounted it.

I'm looking for the best fit 5-7 passenger for long drives, camping, and mountains. MPG is a big factor but I want power to get up mountains and around pokes.

Let me hear your side.
I rode in the backseat of an Edge this week and it is quite a bit wider and felt roomier than my 09 Escape but I haven't sat in the new 2013 Escape. The interior was certainly more luxurious and quiter than my Escape but I think the new Escape has made strides in that area. Fuel economy is similar so I suggest you take both for lengthy test drives (maybe even a weekend rental) before deciding. Most of the negative comments from CR comes from their dislike of Ford's Sync infotainment system.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 PM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
The edge does have more back seat room but the mpg is horrible. We have the Tribute and my best friend has an Edge and we have used both to tow our two sport bikes from Dallas to Chicago and the edge gets about 4 less mpg but it is better ride.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 378 Likes on 284 Posts
I agree that neither one of those vehicles are going to fit 7 people.

The flex is a nice option for more then 5 passengers. You will obviously need something with a third row.

As for the Escape vs Edge, I vote Escape for the ground clearance. Here in the mountains, ground clearance goes a long way in the winters.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Jonas1022
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 Tribute/Escape

We have a four pot Tribute/Escape with auto. It does well on the highway, but loaded to maximum, that little engine is taxed. If most of your driving is unloaded, with only one or two aboard like us, it's great. We usually get over 30 mpg and have seen 33 a few times on the highway doing 80 mph. Usual duties are around town with an errand or two in mind. City driving with lots of stop and go it's getting about 22-23 mpg and is quite peppy. A buddy has and Edge, it is larger outside and inside. Seats 4 up very comfortably and the V-6 is a help when fully loaded, but not such a good buy for the additional $10K over what we paid for our SUV. MPG is somewhat less than the Tribute. Depends on your driving habits and needs I suppose.

No issues with our Tribute. Nothing on the later Edges either. Earlier examples had some minor recalls. That is all.