Radio Repair 'Don't call, Notice'

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:24 PM
memoryman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Radio Repair 'Don't call, Notice'

Hi all, Just a notification for all who may have read the post Radio Test

In that post, RunninD indicated that he knows of someone who can fix these older radio's in the 6th Gen trucks.
(see quote from that post below).

I called Mr. Cochran this evening. While I realize it's Sunday night (6:30PM Nebraska time). I thought it would be OK,
since it was well after church time 'and' he apparently runs his business from his home
(FYI: I, unfortunately, have very little time to make calls for my truck stuff, parts, etc., during normal work hours,
due to 'my' hectic schedule at my own job. So, I makes calls after work and on the weekends as needed).

Anyway, RunninD's post seemed to indicate it would be 'OK' to call Mr. Cochran, so... I did.
He answered the phone, I introduced myself and told him where I got his name.
He quickly informed me that "it was 'SUNDAY' and he DID NOT do business on Sundays!
He told me to call him later." I apologized and hung up. I was clearly embarrassed by calling him.
I can respect someone who has set hours working from their home. I have no problem with that.
I just want to make sure everyone else on this forum is aware NOT to CALL Mr. Cochran after hours (especially on Sunday's!)

Cheers

Originally Posted by RunninD
The guy I used is in Scottsbluff Nebraska. His name is Gene Cochran, and he works out of his house. He's a crusty old codger, but does some tremendous work. While he had the radio apart, he updated some of the internals and cleaned the heck out of everything. My total bill was $25! His number is 308 632-2520 (I checked with him at the time I collected my stereo, and he was OK with giving his number out) He also lined me out on the manner in which the old radios were wired (mine at least). The speakers are in series meaning positive from radio to positive on speaker #1, negative from that speaker goes to positive on speaker #2. Negative from Speaker #2 goes to Negative on stereo. Now the stock stereo rocks as loud as the little 5 1/2 speakers can handle!
Note to admin's: I didn't reply to this post in the thread, because it would've been buried and no one would've seen it unless they read to the end of the thread. Hope that's OK?

Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
IMO, that's total BS for someone who runs a business out of his home to be pissed off if someone calls him on Sunday at a decent hour and he answers. If he didn't want to be bothered, than he should have a separate business number or don't answer the phone if he doesn't know who is calling him (caller ID). I don't like being bothered either sometimes, but hey I don't run a business. To me, it seems like he doesn't care about customer service and really don't want the business. IDK, people like that just gets under my skin is all. I've dealt with people like that and chose to go elsewhere and even pay a higher price for things. I do pay for customer service.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:59 PM
RunninD
Senior User
I apologize to all. I specifically asked him about posting his number, and he said that it was "Ok". It was pointed out to me that I should have had people pm me for the number instead of posting it online, and they were right I should have.

Gene is a very ....Short?... tempered guy, what my dad used to call a "Curmudgeon". He gave me quite a bit of heck for not knowing exactly what I wanted, or what style of radio I had. I was pretty sure I had stated "AM" but he went into a discourse on the differences between "AM" "AM/FM", and "AM/FM Stereo" and chewed on me for telling him the wrong one. Another point if you go to his home/ shop, DO NOT PARK IN THE DRIVEWAY!

In his favor, he is good, very good, and fast. to the point that when I went back a couple of weeks later I got chewed on for taking so long. I will go back, and I will recommend him to anyone who needs similar service. Honestly there just aren't many people out there any more who can work on the old stuff.

I apologize, but Bear with him, he's worth it!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RunninD
He gave me quite a bit of heck for not knowing exactly what I wanted, or what style of radio I had. I was pretty sure I had stated "AM" but he went into a discourse on the differences between "AM" "AM/FM", and "AM/FM Stereo" and chewed on me for telling him the wrong one.
Are you sure this guy isn't related to NumberDummy?

Old 01-28-2013, 04:55 PM
bucks77ford
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd ask a moderator to delete the guys number and then post to send you a PM for his number. That way the guy doesn't get flooded with unnecessary phone calls to **** him off and then he won't do the work anymore. And I suppose if the guy does good work and cheap, we can overlook the fact that he is grumpy and short tempered. I just have a hard time with those kind of people is all especially if they want to call themselves business people.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:26 PM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You younger guys need to understand that 'old folks' do things a bit differently from what you are used to. Running a business or not, guys in his generation, ESPECIALLY in rural areas, do NOT do business of any kind on Sunday. Calling after 7 pm any other day of the week is probably a bad idea as well.

I wouldn't let it get to me. Just call him back on a week day and if he says anything about it, just apologize, tell him you won't do it again, and go on. If you send him a radio you might ask him the best time during the day to call.

I knew an older fellow that worked in a local parts store when I was just out of high school. You would walk in the door and he would start giving you a hard time. I thought he was the rudest SOB I'd ever seen. Then my dad, who had known him for years, told me to dish it back to him. We ended up being great friends up to the time he died.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 PM
gnwalker
Elder User
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
Are you sure this guy isn't related to NumberDummy?
Lmao......