1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 Ford F-1 Panel Delivery Restoration in Progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Taquios
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1949 Ford F-1 Panel Delivery Restoration in Progress

My name is Connor and I am from the NEPA (Northeastern Pennsylvania) area and I am trying to help a friend out with restoring a 1949 Ford F-1 Panel Delivery Truck. The gas tank has holes on the top big enough to stick a pencil through and the pickup tanks are different. Is there somewhere that I can get one made near NEPA or fixed? The rear fenders are trashed and I found a picture with the part number of the fender panels but I'm not sure where to get them or if a Ford Company can do a custom fabrication of the part or any other company. The truck was manufactured in Edgewater New Jersey (which I think is really cool) and the factory is no longer open and I'm just curious if anyone knows where I can get the part which the number is 20010. I am also looking for a cylinder sleeve for the flathead 6 motor with pistons that are .0300 over. The 6th piston (closest to the firewall) had the ring failed and damaged the wall of the cylinder and I can't find the sleeve anywhere. I will post the picture of the fender in the catalog but I'm not sure if I want to post the picture of the gas tank since it will be the only picture of one on the web. Any thoughts on this please contact me on this or my email: taquios@gmail.com . Thanks.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Taquios
New User

Here is what I mean about the rear fender panels.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:15 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
If you could find an NOS fender panel for a panel truck it would be as close to a miracle as you're going to find. I will guarantee you will not be able to find one from Ford. If you could convince Ford into making one, which I know they wouldn't, it would probably cost in the $50K+ price range. You'd be better off searching for a body shop that specializes in hand forming sheet metal panels. It would still be very pricey but not nearly as much as Ford would charge.

As for a gas tank there are a few places that make gas tanks. Tanks Inc. will make a custom tank, TANKS Inc. gas tanks for street rods and custom cars and trucks

I think you should be able to find a sleeve for the engine. Ask around at the auto repair shops and auto machine shop, the places that do engine rebuilds and other maching work.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Finding a somewhat decent set of rear doors or the original pair of front bucket seats will be more easier than finding the side section.

Your best bet is to work with what you got. You could try to find another Panel truck for parts that may have the good section that you need, but since you're in the Northeast, I doubt that anything else you find will be in better shape. Even stuff on the West coast rusts.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 AM
Taquios
New User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Finding a somewhat decent set of rear doors or the original pair of front bucket seats will be more easier than finding the side section.

Your best bet is to work with what you got. You could try to find another Panel truck for parts that may have the good section that you need, but since you're in the Northeast, I doubt that anything else you find will be in better shape. Even stuff on the West coast rusts.
I found bucket seats already from another panel that the owner of this panel is going to buy and we have good rear doors, but hopefully someone can make the panel section.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Taquios
New User
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
If you could find an NOS fender panel for a panel truck it would be as close to a miracle as you're going to find. I will guarantee you will not be able to find one from Ford. If you could convince Ford into making one, which I know they wouldn't, it would probably cost in the $50K+ price range. You'd be better off searching for a body shop that specializes in hand forming sheet metal panels. It would still be very pricey but not nearly as much as Ford would charge.

As for a gas tank there are a few places that make gas tanks. Tanks Inc. will make a custom tank, TANKS Inc. gas tanks for street rods and custom cars and trucks

I think you should be able to find a sleeve for the engine. Ask around at the auto repair shops and auto machine shop, the places that do engine rebuilds and other maching work.
So should we detach the panel with the fenders and then take it somewhere where they specialize in forming such parts along with the picture I posted and see what goes?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:28 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
No, you should fix what you have as is. Making that section will be VERY expensive.

Please post pictures of your project. I'm always interested in seeing other Panel trucks.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Taquios
New User
No, you should fix what you have as is. Making that section will be VERY expensive.

Please post pictures of your project. I'm always interested in seeing other Panel trucks.
Will do. I will gather a whole collaboration of pictures first of before the restoration and what we have now. I'll try to post them by the end of the week.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 AM
53FOPAR
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mid Fifty has new aluminum gas tanks for '53-'56. I am not sure if same as F-1, but someone will know and chime in.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Taquios
New User
Originally Posted by 53FOPAR
Mid Fifty has new aluminum gas tanks for '53-'56. I am not sure if same as F-1, but someone will know and chime in.
I have a picture of the gas tank which is not online and I'm skeptical about putting it online so I will wait on that.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Why are you skeptical? Is it because you don't know how to post it online or is it because you're afraid of someone "stealing" the image?

You'll have to start posting pictures to help us help you.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Even tho your catalog page shows the body panels as separate pieces they were welded together at the factory, they are not removable without destroying them. Replacement panels haven't been made for some 50 years at least if at all. Back in the day body men knew how to and would straighten damaged panels rather than replace them.
Rust repair panels were never made for the panel trucks. They would need to be hand fabricated by a highly skilled metalsmith. look for a shop that does custom body work on hot rods and/or restoration work on high end antique cars. Realize this work can easily cost 10-20,000.00 and up to have done if you could find anyone willing to take it on and take up to a year or more to complete. It would be cheaper and easier to take that year and money to find another rust free panel in the SW US and have it shipped to you, than to repair one with major rust issues.
We are familiar with the panel you are working on, your friend has been posting about it here, and realize it has sentimental value, but I have to be honest and tell you the likelyhood of it ever getting back on the road is virtually nill, it is just too far gone. It is foolish to invest any money or time into it, especially since neither of you are anywhere near experienced or skilled enough to succeed. I have 50 years experience that tells me I would NEVER take on this project. It's a nice thought, but it just isn't going to happen.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Ax, you don't beat around the bush.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Ax, you don't beat around the bush.
Sorry, but there is no sense giving a false hope of success or encouragement that will just waste money they don't seem to really have. Even if he has the multi tens of thousands of dollars this truck would cost to spend, the truth is it wouldn't likely be finished in his father's lifetime. There are much more realistic ways for him to honor his father, take him on a trip to an auto museum or to his favorite fishing spot, or have a picture painted of the truck as it once was, or even as it is now for example.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Sometimes the truth hurts. The good thing is that you maybe have a decent parts vehicle to help restore another. Or, perhaps you have sincere dedication and will learn some serious metal work. Either way, don't be disheartened. If you do follow through with restoring a panel, you'll be well rewarded.

Quick Reply: 1949 Ford F-1 Panel Delivery Restoration in Progress