1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

What up guys? 64 f100 update (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Faber
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, not bad i guess for a first timer. Should have left the seems at bottom instead of trying to fill in, managed to fill in my large gap at top. Figure Id put some primer on it until i get back to it and see if i can clean it up some more. Had to weld in some back panels also that were rusted out before putting the pillar piece back in. Like welding with gas.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 AM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice, work. I thought mine had rust but it is no where near as bad as yours, as for Carolina Classics price over LMC the difference is quality, you are better off with Carolina Classics any day. Keep the pics coming.

Make sure you provide good drainage for the rusted out areas so that no future rust will happen. Everything had drained into my front cab mounts and they were full of wet dirt sand mix so I see why they rust.

D

Old 03-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Faber
Elder User
Originally Posted by dman2008
Nice, work. I thought mine had rust but it is no where near as bad as yours, as for Carolina Classics price over LMC the difference is quality, you are better off with Carolina Classics any day. Keep the pics coming.

Make sure you provide good drainage for the rusted out areas so that no future rust will happen. Everything had drained into my front cab mounts and they were full of wet dirt sand mix so I see why they rust.

D
I wondered if that whole area must be a huge drain spot.... Definitely going go through it and try create some drain places.... Then maybe weld up some plates to catch junk from front tires....

Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Actually the cowl on top in front of the window allows the water to come down into that area and along with the water dirt and leaves get in there, if I could go back I would probably weld up my cowls and eliminate that, but yes you will need to make sure there is proper drainage.

D

Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 PM
carras
Tuned
You have to love the point in the project where you move from cutting out, scraping, etc to the phase where you are installing new stuff. Looking good!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Faber
Elder User
Actually the cowl on top in front of the window allows the water to come down into that area and along with the water dirt and leaves get in there, if I could go back I would probably weld up my cowls and eliminate that, but yes you will need to make sure there is proper drainage.

D
Id wondered about that also, somebody mentioned the water may drain but the wet leaves and crap can't (?).
I wonder if I weld those shut will it also effect air intake for running the heater in winter?

Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Faber
Elder User
Originally Posted by carras
You have to love the point in the project where you move from cutting out, scraping, etc to the phase where you are installing new stuff. Looking good!
Definitely.... Thanks. : )

Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

As long as you know about it and maintain it and make sure there is drainage you should be good. If you could put some kind of rust inhibitor on the inside that would help too.

D

Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Faber
Elder User
As long as you know about it and maintain it and make sure there is drainage you should be good. If you could put some kind of rust inhibitor on the inside that would help too.

D
Appreciate it, def will. Been coating everything.
May look at a screen or something after get better look.
Thanks for advice.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Faber
Elder User
Did a little re work, hopefully some puddy and paint later and she'll be good.

Cutting corners

Old 03-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep up the great work your doing.
The areas in the kick panels and rear cab mount area are a collection point for yard leaves etc; and mositure cause the rot to set in; as long as you keep those area clean out and wash regularly; these old trucks are going to last another 50 years plus.
Pugging the cowl off will only cause water and yard trash to channel somewhere else for further problems.
Again great work and your family tradition truck is looking good.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:47 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Customcab
Pugging the cowl off will only cause water and yard trash to channel somewhere else for further problems.
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you eliminate the cowl how else would leaves or water or yard trash get in? I only ask to understand more not to be rude, plus I know you are very experienced with these trucks.

D

Old 03-31-2013, 01:04 AM
Faber
Elder User
Originally Posted by Customcab
Keep up the great work your doing.
The areas in the kick panels and rear cab mount area are a collection point for yard leaves etc; and mositure cause the rot to set in; as long as you keep those area clean out and wash regularly; these old trucks are going to last another 50 years plus.
Again great work and your family tradition truck is looking good.
Thanks bro, appreciate it : )

Old 03-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Faber
Elder User
gratuitous garage kitty pic, no matter how much noise i make she just hangs out

got cut out and ready to weld up cab corner, then realized i was looking at the back of my gas tank. Looks like whats left of the inside cab corner probably once sealed up the cab....so out comes the tank.

ill fab something up and weld in to seal off the cab, then go back to putting on the corner.

seems like you can really see how the junk coming through the fresh air vent would settle and rust through into the compartment behind the door pillar, then rust in to the cab mount area, along with the tires throwing stuff at the back of the cab mount.
Im not sure how the bottom of the door sills didnt rust on it. Once i get the cab mounts ill finish closing up that compartment behind the new door sill and sealing it off along with coating protection.

Oh, yeah, i didnt empty the tank before removing. It was about 1/2 to 3/4 full, then sloshed and dumped a couple gallon my floor. smart move....lol.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Faber
Elder User
well this is interesting.
went to check the fit of the cab mounts and they seem off, or more likely they are fine and my cab is off.

lined up where old mounts were and its about half the mount of center of the frame mount

its actually off more then it looks in pic

lined up with frame it you can see how off it is against old mount location

i think i can angle/fudge it in there.
anyone seen this before? did my cab move? doesnt seem like it could have moved an inch or more....
not sure what to think.
were the old mounts angled?

Quick Reply: What up guys? 64 f100 update (pic heavy)