Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Mikey Oldaker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block Heater

hey guys does anyone know of a good block heater. the one i have in my truck is a 1000w and i need something hotter i should say.

its getting so cold out here that i plug my truck in at night when i get home and by the time i come out in the morning it still kicks the cold start advance on and i still have to wait for it to warm up.

Need something hotter. Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 AM
whiteboyslo
Posting Guru
Isn't it perfectly normal for the cold start advance to still kick on? It's upper 30s / low 40s here, and mine starts without the block heater no problem, but it still kicks on the cold start for a few minutes. Heck, the cold start kicks in even in the middle of SoCal summer if the truck sat long enough, though it takes less time for it it to go back to regular idle.

Mike

Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could add a tank heater on the heater hose, but I agree with the above post, 1000watts is plenty.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The HPCA is supposed to kick off at 110*F.. a block heater that would keep an engine at 110* would suck ALOT of juice, and it would be totally unnecessary. The heater only needs to keep the chill of the engine and it helps alot with things like initail oil pressure, non-frozen radiators, quick starting, non gelled fuel lines, if you leave the truck on defrost, most times they will even keep the windshield clear.

My cold idle kicks on every first start of the day, whether its july at 1pm or january at 7am, plugged in or not.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:19 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Running the block heater more than an hour or two is a complete waste; it's not going to get any hotter after running that long, and at a typical per-kWh rate of 15 cents, it's a dollar down the drain for every extra 6 hours you run it. The only "heater" that will accomplish what you're looking for is one with four walls and a roof, i.e., a heated garage.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
It is single digits at night here and 20s in the day right now.
I do park in the garage at night which is ~30* in the morning when I go out is she fires up with little issue. Then at work she sits out in the cold and starts with no issues there.
The high idle always kick on but all engines do that, not just diesels.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Mikey Oldaker
Senior User
Okay well I have to do a complete 2 or three cycles on the glow plugs, block heater plugged in all night and on top of that it still takes 20 mins for it warm up.

My issue is that I can get called out at any time and I need that thing then not 20 moms later and it gets cold out here last night it was around -3 to -10 all night and it doesn't really go above 1 at least not the last little while it hasn't

During the summer it doesn't really kick on the cold start doesn't out here. But j still let her run about 5 mins before I go anywhere

Old 01-03-2013, 06:28 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
around 10 degrees and mine fired right up today without issue on just glow plugs w/ mobil 5w 40 synthetic inside 2 seconds flat.iv never had any gas engine start so easy over the years as this diesel does.two bats and a gp system in top shape is just sweet perfection.
im going to try amsoil's 5w 30 synthetic now.not for better starts,but in hopes to try for better economy.
but anyway,point is try going to a synthetic oil instead of paying for a 1000 watts per hour.might be cheaper.iv not tested my block heater for anything.
also,fyi;
diesel engines do not make much for heat just idling.to get them up to temp,you just get going.well inside a mile or two she'll be blowing heat.
i do have electric cooling fans,so perhaps this isn't the norm? also i use a winter grill front.all it takes is some card board.she'll warm right up.make sure the coolant is properly mixed via coolant tester.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 PM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you verified that the block heater is functioning? It sounds like it may not be. Have you ohmed the cord and the actual heater. With the heater pluged in it should fire and warm up pretty quick, even at those temps.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM
kc0stp
Senior User
Couple things of note

With the truck idling in temps that cold Im honestly suprised it ever kicks off the cold idle, a diesel needs to be driven to be warmed up (a lot of our school buses you can leave at 1500rpm for HOURs and still never have it register on the temp gauge with the block heater plugged in)

Verify that your glow plugs are all functioning properly

Verify operation of block heater your borderline at those temps but you should be able to start with just the plugs on the first cycle (for sure with the heater plugged in)

Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
I agree, check the glow plugs and the system. You may also have a thermostat needing replacement.
This week my truck has rarely gotten to the normal range on the gauge. I am ordering up a set of gauges (engine temp, EGT and boost) as I don't trust the dummy gauge.
My digital temp meter show the coolant is about 110-120* after the drive home. The t-stat is 190* and I think I will replace that too just so I know for sure it is not sticking.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in Denver, and it is anywhere between 0 and 20 degrees here in the morning lately. I just re-did my top end and with it the glow plugs, t-stat, radiator,and put in a coolant temp gauge. All my systems are working properly. I am not able to plug in my block heater where I park it, so each morning, I cold start with GP's only. Once I switch the ignition to on, I depress the throttle more than half way down to set the cold start and after about 15 to 20 seconds of WTS I crank her and she starts after about 3 seconds every time. If I let her idle for about 5 minutes she will kick down to normal idle, but it does take her about half my drive to work to reach normal operating temps, (about 6 or 7 miles) and to get any heat out of the heater. It sounds like you are getting about the same results as me with your block heater, so i would definitely check it. Even if you just put your hand down on the block where it is located, I would think you would get an indication of it is doing anything at all, but I am not sure of that.

Good luck,

mac.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Are you waiting for the engine to get to full operating temperature before driving the truck? The oil companies love that! Seriously, you need to wait maybe 5-10 seconds in summer, maybe 1-2 minutes in winter, before the engine is warm enough to take a load. Just idling it, even on fast idle, is also a very inefficient way of warming it up, and constitutes more wear on the engine. Once you're underway and actually revving the engine up through the gears, it will get up to full operating temperature considerably faster.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you waiting for the engine to get to full operating temperature before driving the truck?
Not as a rule. I go out and start her about 5 minutes before I leave, because I work outside and I want some warmth before I get to work and freeze my testies off! Eventually, I will have a heated garage and won't need to worry about it so much! On a side note, Eventually it will be summer, and I won't have to worry about it as much also!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
The question was for the OP. 20 minutes in winter and 5 minutes in summer is waaaay longer than necessary in both cases.

Quick Reply: Block Heater