Help me find the right hose - Answer Found with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:53 PM
northwindone
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Help me find the right hose - Answer Found with Pics

***Answer Found - See Post #7***
I'm back, and I have some more questions on my current project. While I'm replacing my intake manifold gaskets I'm also replacing all the hoses under the hood since I'll have the coolant drained anyway.

I have this heater hose in my shopping cart at rock auto....

(Which is a Gates 19218 just for reference)

The problem is that looking at my engine and comparing to photos of other, probably later V10s, I don't think this hose is right. I still don't have my manifold off all the way so it's kind of hard to look and I need to order today to get the parts in time for a long weekend I have coming up. Here is a picture of my engine and you'll notice that there is no hose coming up from the crossover infront of cylinder #1 like I've seen on other engines, and I think this is where that hose is suppose to go.

Anyone with a '99 have any idea which hoses are the right ones? Or does anyone have, or know where I can find, an accurate hose diagram to a '99 V10?

EDIT:
Do these hoses look familiar to anyone? They are Gates 19200 and Gates 19201.

I found them on NAPA listed for my truck, right along with the other ones, but there are no notes for fitment. It's probably just going to come down to tearing it down the rest of the way so I can look at the hoses. I was hoping to order my parts before then since I don't have enough daylight after work to do any work. Having no garage really has it's downsides, but at least I live in the High Desert of California and not somewhere like northern Minnesota.

Last edited by northwindone; 01-02-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Added more information
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM
SDV10
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only have the two short heater hoses at the back by the firewall. The only hose maybe like those you showed would be the overflow to radiator hose. But it does not look like those exactly. Sorry I can't help.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM
northwindone
More Turbo
I figured out it is just the two short hoses in the back just like you have SDV10. The rest of the "hoses" are metal lines, I just though there was more to it than that. I'm glad I looked into it some more though before I ordered the wrong ones. No one seems to have the right parts listed for our trucks. I had to figure it out by looking at pictures, kind of frustrating. I'll post pictures and part numbers a little later just in case someone comes across this thread trying to figure out the same thing.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:22 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Try fordparts.com, punch in your VIN number and see what they have listed. It's Motorcraft's website, basically. Each part has SOME fitment/production dates criteria, and can help figure out what is what.

I find that Amazon has a wealth of Motorcraft parts available, and if you have a Prime membership, you can get next day for $3.99 - they've saved me a bunch of $'s many times.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
northwindone
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Krewat
Try fordparts.com, punch in your VIN number and see what they have listed. It's Motorcraft's website, basically. Each part has SOME fitment/production dates criteria, and can help figure out what is what.

I find that Amazon has a wealth of Motorcraft parts available, and if you have a Prime membership, you can get next day for $3.99 - they've saved me a bunch of $'s many times.
I'm a big fan of Amazon, especially the Prime with free shipping, 99% of this year's Christmas gifts came from Amazon. I have noticed they sell lots of Motorcraft parts...once you know the PN since their part finder isn't very useful. I ordered a few of my parts on Amazon, but even with shipping I was able to get a lot of them cheaper on Rock Auto. I'll have to check out fordparts.com next time I need to figure out something like this. I don't know why I didn't think of looking on Ford's own parts website.

EDIT:
After looking on the Ford parts site I'm even more confused. The good news is that I have ordered the right parts to match OEM. The wierd thing is that there is the same PN for three different shaped hoses and the two other ones that I didn't order allows for the installation of the heater core shutoff valve between them. I was just going to cut the OEM style line and install it there. It would have been nice to know the PN of the alternate hoses though to allow for neater installation of the cutoff valve. Next time I may have to go down to the local Ford parts department...though I hate to pay the 300% markup on the parts.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
yeah, I know about the confusion with fordparts.com ... looking for an ABS brake line, and wow... so many choices... none of them right

Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 PM
northwindone
More Turbo
Here are the hoses that are used on the '99 V10s. I'll update with Motorcraft part numbers once I figure it out. What I ended up ordering was a Gates 19306 for the one in this picture closer to the passenger side, and for the one infront of it, closer to the drivers side, a Dayco 88418. The Dayco comes with the quick connect already installed, while the Gates does not.

The hoses...

Dayco 88418

Gates 19306

Hopefully this helps anyone that stumbles upon this thread while trying to figure this out.

Lastly, I'll need to determine how I'm to install the heater cutoff valve. It will be a tight fit, but I'm sure I'll be able to cut the Gates 19306 (the 'P' shaped one) and install it there. I'll probably use the old hose as a practice piece to make sure everything fits.