1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

changed injector o-rings, now it wont fuel right.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:16 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
changed injector o-rings, now it wont fuel right.

Hey guys, here's what I got going on. I changed my injector o-rings a week ago because it was dumping oil in the fuel. While I was in there I went ahead and changed the glow plugs along with all the wiring harnesses and valve cover gaskets. Also, everytime I do injector o-rings I wire brush the nozzles to get the soot off of them. The truck ran perfect when I pulled it in the shop. Had plenty of power even with jacked up injector o-rings.

Now, after changing the o-rings, it starts and idles just fine. Get it out on the road and it barely has enough power to get moving in second gear, it will barely get the turbo spooled and barely smokes at all when it's not under boost. It usually smokes quite a bit before the turbo comes on in the drag tune if you floor it. It seems like it just won't fuel..

All the oil spouts on the injectors are spitting plenty of oil. Getting plenty of ICP, IPR DC % is good, got 65psi fuel pressure, Cody and I checked continuity on all the valve cover harnesses and I ohmed them all out and got between 3.0-3.4 ohms on all of the injector pins. We pulled the map line off and plugged it, made no difference. Unplugged the map sensor electrical connector, no difference. Unplugged ICP sensor, no difference. Changed the MAP sensor and IDM with no difference.

Buzz test still gives me bank 1 and bank 2 high side open, so I'm going to pull the engine harness and change the UVCH pigtails on it next and check the wires throughout the harness. Everything under the valve covers checks out fine and there is a known good IDM in it right now. I kinda wonder if some nozzles are clogged or something after I wire brushed them.. I'm confused at this point, so if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Sorry about the novel, just tried to give as much info as possible.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
You mighta done it in with the wire brush.

Those holes are soo small and if you took some of the burs and folded them into the nozzle hole, it would mess it up.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:50 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Did you change pig tails or just UVCH and gaskets ?

Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I also think you could have clogged the tip...I used a plastic scuff pad when I did mine ....one of those green 3M deals and also added some Ford Lubricicity additive to the filterbowl and fuel tank ....MIne were over 280K when I did them ....Maybe add seafoam to the tank and engine oil ?

Old 12-23-2012, 02:13 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Well if the wire brush did it, that's a first for me. I have done that countless times. Lol.

I have not changed the pigtails on my engine harness, only the UVCH and gaskets. All the wiring under the VCs is good to go. I ohmed them all out and we checked continuity on all of it. The only things I can think of is the pigtails on the engine harness or the nozzles got messed up.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
Well if the wire brush did it, that's a first for me. I have done that countless times. Lol.

I have not changed the pigtails on my engine harness, only the UVCH and gaskets. All the wiring under the VCs is good to go. I ohmed them all out and we checked continuity on all of it. The only things I can think of is the pigtails on the engine harness or the nozzles got messed up.
I'd have used a brass bristle brush.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Talyn
Hotshot

STupid things like this happen to me always.

Hence my post about the cleaning parts vs not cleaning.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:35 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Well I think I'm going to go through the engine harness first and put new pigtails on it first. I discovered one pigtail has been changed and has butt connectors attaching it and one glow plug wire is missing some insulation. So I will change those and hope for the best. If not, I guess I'm going to upgrade injectors. Lol

Old 12-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Well I think I'm going to go through the engine harness first and put new pigtails on it first. I discovered one pigtail has been changed and has butt connectors attaching it and one glow plug wire is missing some insulation. So I will change those and hope for the best. If not, I guess I'm going to upgrade injectors. Lol
350cc hybrids comin? :P

Old 12-23-2012, 03:01 PM
brandit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could the Injection Pressure Regulator be gummed up?

Old 12-23-2012, 03:37 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Travis I wonder if those butt connectors are loose now that you messed with the wires.

The reason I asked was when I did the SD UVCH I got number 6&8 mixed up and it started and idled fine but was gutless.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:45 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
You got me Travis, I wish I could help, good luck!

Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wire brushed mine with a small brush about the size of a tooth brush. I don't think brushing them would hurt any thing.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Started to reply, then realized I was looking at the wrong year (someone else's computer). Look at that last link in my signature and it might help.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Talyn
350cc hybrids comin? :P
If new pigtails on the harness don't do it, I will mess with the injectors. Depending on funds, I might go to 238/100s and go ahead and do the head studs. Lol. If I dont have the money for hybrids, I will just put 100% nozzles on these injectors.

Originally Posted by fordpride
Travis I wonder if those butt connectors are loose now that you messed with the wires.

The reason I asked was when I did the SD UVCH I got number 6&8 mixed up and it started and idled fine but was gutless.
I'm hoping it's the harness at this point. I don't really want to mess with the injectors until I have a built engine, but we will see. The pigtails need to be replaced anyways, so I will do that and if that doesn't work, I guess I will have to build some injectors.

Quick Reply: changed injector o-rings, now it wont fuel right.