Mustang question for a guru (sorry no mustang option in "Other Fords")

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Macamon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang question for a guru (sorry no mustang option in "Other Fords")

I purchased a set of halo headlights for a Ford Mustang, V6, 2003. The manufacturer instructions have you tap from the side marker lights so the halos are lit when the lights are on.

I would like to run the halos when the car is on. Is there an accessory wire I can tap without having to run wire through the firewall?

Old 12-22-2012, 05:15 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aren't the side markers lit when the car is on?

The instructions sound feasible.

I re read your post, I see what you want to do now.

On all the time.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,387 Posts
I can think of one spot, but you would need a relay to go with it. In other words, the spot you picked would have 12v anytime the keyswitch is on, but you do not want to use the same 12v to run the halo lights. You just want to use it to fire a relay. Then you could come off the battery with a fuse, go through the relay contacts, and then to the lights. I am thinking of the EECV computer power relay. You could even use the power that goes to the fuel pumps. Like I said you would not be using the fuel pump power to power the lights, just to trigger your new added relay.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Macamon
Senior User
khadma:
First of all, thank you for reading my request and taking time to help. I respectfully request that you re-read my post. The side markers are on only when you turn on the headlights. I want them to run constantly while the car is on. watch oncoming traffic during the day, you will notice the BMW's halo is always on even when the lights are not. I'm looking for the same result.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Macamon
Senior User
I'm very interested in your suggestion: I'm leery of coming off of any type of computer. The fuel pump would probably be a better option for the relay. I'm hoping for a simple tap in solution since it is only an LED I need to run. Please advise

Old 12-22-2012, 05:42 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Macamon
khadma:
First of all, thank you for reading my request and taking time to help. I respectfully request that you re-read my post. The side markers are on only when you turn on the headlights. I want them to run constantly while the car is on. watch oncoming traffic during the day, you will notice the BMW's halo is always on even when the lights are not. I'm looking for the same result.
I did edit my post, I know what you want to do now.

I figured it out just after I submitted that post.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Macamon
Senior User
Originally Posted by khadma
I did edit my post, I know what you want to do now.

I figured it out just after I submitted that post.
No worries, we'll get it, FTE always does. That's what makes this such a great place

Old 12-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Macamon
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
I can think of one spot, but you would need a relay to go with it. In other words, the spot you picked would have 12v anytime the keyswitch is on, but you do not want to use the same 12v to run the halo lights. You just want to use it to fire a relay. Then you could come off the battery with a fuse, go through the relay contacts, and then to the lights. I am thinking of the EECV computer power relay. You could even use the power that goes to the fuel pumps. Like I said you would not be using the fuel pump power to power the lights, just to trigger your new added relay.
I apologize that I'm looking for the easier softer way, I just figure it's a couple L.E.D. lights it doesnt need that much power; but I certainly don't want to use power to a ECU or such. Anyone have an idea for a 1/4 amp or so switched source under the hood?

Old 12-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,387 Posts
There really is none that I can think of, that doesn't have an important job already. In other words, if you had a problem with your new lights, it could take down the circuit that they are hooked to, and I can't think of an unimportant circuit under the hood that you could live without.

For instance if you had a small fender bender, and crunched one of the lights and the wiring or the lights shorted out. You don't want it messing up something important. Of course you could put a very small inline fuse to your new lights, and hopefully it would blow before the other circuit would, but it would be a close call probably.

I wonder how much current they really use?

Old 12-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Macamon
Senior User
Originally Posted by Franklin2
There really is none that I can think of, that doesn't have an important job already. In other words, if you had a problem with your new lights, it could take down the circuit that they are hooked to, and I can't think of an unimportant circuit under the hood that you could live without.

For instance if you had a small fender bender, and crunched one of the lights and the wiring or the lights shorted out. You don't want it messing up something important. Of course you could put a very small inline fuse to your new lights, and hopefully it would blow before the other circuit would, but it would be a close call probably.

I wonder how much current they really use?

Considering they are L.E.D's I wouldn't think they use that much power. I've resolved to simply hook it up the way Raxiom suggests and if it bothers me that much, I'll just go back in and change it later... Your way with the relays