Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Explorer whine in rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:38 PM
erawtik
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explorer whine in rear

Well i picked up a 96 4x4 with the 4.0 a few weeks ago and been fixin stuff weekly that i find wrong. One thing i noticed was the rear diff was leaky but couldnt get the fill plug out so left if for now. Last night my wife was on interstate and it just started making a loud noise so she pulls over calls me. I get there and drive it and it makes a woowoowoo noise and it got louder as speed inscreased. She was 3 miles from the exit so i drove it about 15-20 to get it off interstate than another 2 miles to her sisters. We let it sit for a few hours and found a flatbed to haul it home, and when we finally got home i drove it off the flat bed and now it was making a loud clunky noise. Parked it in drive till today. Cracked open the rear and no fluid came out. Inspecting all the gears looked good no metal in bottom so i went and got a new rear cover and 3 qt. of fluid. Put it back together and the woowoowoo was still there but seemed to slowly go away as i drove it around the block. So what else could be going on here or do i need to drive it and warm up the fluid so it circulates? I also noticed a sheeee sound like metal on metal when brakeing but i changed all 4 rotors and both pads last week but i noticed the brakes in the rear that look like drum brakes was bare but i assume that is only for the ebrake so didnt bother changeing them yet. Could those be hitting the inside of the rotor and makeing the metal to metal noise?

Old 12-09-2012, 06:08 PM
yorky
Junior User
I would first be looking to see why it was dry and looking at the seals. you said that you changed the breaks and rotors so I'm assuming the axle seals are good. look underneath for oil spray on the frame and undercarriage in the area where the driveshaft connects to the rear.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:15 PM
erawtik
Junior User
the rear cover was leaky and there was no gasket so i bought a new cover and gasket cause the old cover was really rusty. That was where the leak was

Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 PM
yorky
Junior User
squeel like suck?

V1329 06 12 12 - YouTube

I only have this at low speed (think max of 15) though and mainly under torque, once in a while I have it at coast, with or without brake on. I was told it was the universal although there is min. to no play in it. Gonna tackle this problem in about 2 weeks when I have a helper and other work is gonna be done at same time. Sry but gotta tilt head to left to see it at the right angle.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM
erawtik
Junior User
mine dont sound like that its more like woowoowoo like big tires kinda. Il go make a vid like you did and see if i can catch the noise while driving

Old 12-09-2012, 07:03 PM
erawtik
Junior User
http://youtu.be/TISMLqceAUg

I just made this vid so you can hear the noise and my speed didnt go over 45.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM
yorky
Junior User
you check the axel and pinion bearings?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:44 PM
erawtik
Junior User
not sure how to check them all i did was look in the case when the cover was off and everything looked ok imo didnt see anything odd in there. The tiny bit of fluid that did come out was pure black.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:56 PM
yorky
Junior User
jack and spin the wheels and listen for the noise, each side and the pinion, pinion is where the shift connects. with it dry i can see you burning the pinion bearing up first. if so a used axel might be cheaper unless you do it yourself

Old 12-09-2012, 09:01 PM
erawtik
Junior User
while driving i notice it on pass side and when i had it jacked up had my wife start it and the noise seemed to come from pass side.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:50 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
YEs, i was going to say the pumpkin is deeper than the alxe tubes and when our run down to the last few ounces, i would think the ring gear would throw oil on the carrier and pinion bearings, while the alxe bearings by the brakes would be dry. I think the axle bearings would be first to go, then the pinion. I would change out both axle bearings if you have the cover off and housing drained.. your half way there at that point.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM
erawtik
Junior User
So that would be the axle shaft bearing which i see are like 30 bucks at autozone? But then they have rear wheel bearing as well for same price. Nevermind the part numbers are the same so it just the same part under 2 different catagories

Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM
erawtik
Junior User
I just filled the rear if i drain it in a clean can could i reuse it or trash the fluid and get new again? Plus i looked at my tag on my cover and it said 3L73 which is limited slip correct? But when i turn one wheel the other spins the other way, i thought limited slip was both would spin the same direction?

Old 12-10-2012, 02:31 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Those would be the outer bearing, you will have to pull the shafts... and employ a press to change the bearings... Philip

Old 12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
erawtik
Junior User
ya i seen i can get the tool from az to pull them out guess that is what il be doing when temp gets back up in couple days.

Quick Reply: Explorer whine in rear