6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

How to tell if the Dpf system is working properly

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:46 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to tell if the Dpf system is working properly

Ive been driving this 09 f350 with 75000 miles for about 2 weeks now so this exhaust filter is new to me. I picked the truck up out of state so I drove it about 350 miles to get it home with no sign of the "cleaning exhaust" message. Now a week goes by and i get my first message and notice a few minutes later a little smoke behind me. Fine, i did some reading and figured out what to expect as far as how long this should go on for. Now it has been almost a week and 100 miles since i got the first message and it is still giving me a cleaning exhaust message. The last 2 or 3 days have been worse where I get the message whenever I get in the truck once it is close to operating temp. If its warm already I get it right away.
What do you all think?

Anyone know if this is a warranteed part?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:33 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like either you are not letting it finish the regen cycle;
Or someone loaded a stock tune with straightpipe exhaust (no dpf).

How long or how many miles are you giving it?
Verify the DPF is on the exhaust, and not just a pipe...

Old 12-07-2012, 06:45 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
City or highway driving? Are you familiar with how to run a "System Check" through the odometer screen? The "Cleaning Exhaust" message only displays briefly and will not display a finished message. If you initiate a system check, the very last message will display "cleaning exhaust" if the regeneration is in progress.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like your not letting it finish it's clean cycle.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Hey, TE what's up, didn't we just do thios about three days ago? R U looking for a better answer? I'm gonna go read the other thread but if memory serves we covered this pretty well. OK, here's what I wrote there.

Several thoughts: 1. The cleaning message only displays for a nano second and it's easy to miss. I suspect you missed a couple on the 400 mile drive. if you suspect it's cleaning you can push the middle button on the message center, then the top. It will cycle through a list of checks and if it is in fact cleaning will display the cleaning message. 2. If you are driving short trips and not allowing the system to completely clean it will resume the next time you start. The more times it's interuputed the more times it will try to clean. Eventually you will get the "drive to clean message". Sometimes before you get that one you may get a "cleaning exhaust filter" message that stays on. I was never able to figure exactly what triggered that. might have been a glitch in my computer or it may be triggered by several back to back aborted cleanings. 3. Everyone seems to have different experiences with the cleaning cycle. mine was cleaning about every 100 to 120 miles, more in stop and go. That was with the latest flash 11b23 I believe it's called. If you are gonna leave the truck stock you need to make sure you have that flash. There are some safety shut down improvements in there that can save you a lot of problems. Hope this helps, I know getting to know the DPF can take some time. I'm so happy to have gotten rid of mine

Now, let me say that from your post it does not sound like you are letting the truck clean the DPF. Put it on a highway and drive until it cleans. If you're not sure, check the message center (see 1 above) every few minutes until it displays the "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" message, then continue driving until it's done. You will know it's done when you get the message "CLEANING COMPLETE" or the message just goes off, I'm not sure which since it depends on which flash your computer has. At that point set one of the trip odometers to zero and track the miles until the next cleaning,

The DPF ios cleaning, you're just not seeing it and it sounds like you may not be letting it complete. The DPF is kinda like your colon, if you keep putting soot in it will have to either clean of clog up and shut you down. Good luck, hope this helps this time.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:05 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
like the other 4 have told you, your not letting it finish the cycle. Run some fuel additive, it will help. I run Stanadyne.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 PM
TEMiller
Freshman User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Hey, TE what's up, didn't we just do thios about three days ago? R U looking for a better answer? I'm gonna go read the other thread but if memory serves we covered this pretty well. OK, here's what I wrote there.

Several thoughts: 1. The cleaning message only displays for a nano second and it's easy to miss. I suspect you missed a couple on the 400 mile drive. if you suspect it's cleaning you can push the middle button on the message center, then the top. It will cycle through a list of checks and if it is in fact cleaning will display the cleaning message. 2. If you are driving short trips and not allowing the system to completely clean it will resume the next time you start. The more times it's interuputed the more times it will try to clean. Eventually you will get the "drive to clean message". Sometimes before you get that one you may get a "cleaning exhaust filter" message that stays on. I was never able to figure exactly what triggered that. might have been a glitch in my computer or it may be triggered by several back to back aborted cleanings. 3. Everyone seems to have different experiences with the cleaning cycle. mine was cleaning about every 100 to 120 miles, more in stop and go. That was with the latest flash 11b23 I believe it's called. If you are gonna leave the truck stock you need to make sure you have that flash. There are some safety shut down improvements in there that can save you a lot of problems. Hope this helps, I know getting to know the DPF can take some time. I'm so happy to have gotten rid of mine

Now, let me say that from your post it does not sound like you are letting the truck clean the DPF. Put it on a highway and drive until it cleans. If you're not sure, check the message center (see 1 above) every few minutes until it displays the "CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER" message, then continue driving until it's done. You will know it's done when you get the message "CLEANING COMPLETE" or the message just goes off, I'm not sure which since it depends on which flash your computer has. At that point set one of the trip odometers to zero and track the miles until the next cleaning,

The DPF ios cleaning, you're just not seeing it and it sounds like you may not be letting it complete. The DPF is kinda like your colon, if you keep putting soot in it will have to either clean of clog up and shut you down. Good luck, hope this helps this time.
Istarted a seperate thread thinking someone would see the title if they had similar experience, now i know anyone with this truck hd this happen.

Got it now, just reset the tripometer. See if I can make it till my parts get here. Definitely got me motivated.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Just to add here...
On freeway, the first 4-5 minutes of the regen are spent heating up the DPF. If stop-and-go traffic, it takes longer. If regen is interrupted or the truck is shut down during this time, nothing has been accomplished other than squirting a gallon of diesel out the exhaust.

The bulk of the burn starts at around 800F and continues out to 1250F and occurs during the second 5 minutes. It then tapers off until regen decides to complete. So if you need to shut it down, let it burn for at least 10min from the time it starts if possible.

WHen on freeway, it's easy to miss since road noise pretty much drowns out the extra clatter that goes on during regen.

I notice if I idle the truck after shutting regen down, it'll burn for a little more while the DPF is hot, but I see heavy EGR activity which I assume is intentional to kill any remaining combustion.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:05 AM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just adding in another vote that its not completing the regen process. I had a similar issue a year ago. I dont drive the truck for long distances during the winter so my short trips of less than 20 miles were killing me. These trucks were not meant for that and they dont like it. Seems like a waste but I eventually took it on a 30 minute drive, just to drive it to complete the regen. I knew things would keep getting worse if I tried to keep making short trips without completing the process.