Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

A little Winter maintenance for your IDI!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A little Winter maintenance for your IDI!

Evenin' everyone!

Just taught it be a good idea to post up some little things I did to my truck for winter to prevent salt from getting in where it's not suppose to.

Starting with the interior. Now you may say, what i've done is kind of pointless as I have vinyl floors, but i'm a clean freak, and can't stand a dirty interior, and all the cleaning and scrubbing it takes in spring to get rid of all the crap and salt from winter.

So I bought a big roll of a thick clear vinyl type plastic. Took some measurements and cut out what I needed, and made final "cut to perfection" once it was in the cab.

It's a 1 piece from side to the other.

1 good reason for this, and the blue paper I put on the sides, is to suck up water that may run off the floor mats.

Notice how bad the design in these cabs are where that piece of plastic trim covers up where the vinyl (or carpet) floors end, and where it meets the door seals. Theres always a crack there, and salty water can run down, and settle directly on the floor board where you can't see it, and corrode through eventually. With that clear vinyl I put across, it passes over that crack, so water can only run outside the cab, and not stay in. I do keep paper on the sides for extra protection, and keep my floor mats empty of water.

Sure is a good idea once in a while or even better, every spring to remove that trim piece, and clean under it.

I also did the same in the 1999 Buick Century.

Now for outside of the truck!

Mudflaps sure save your rockers, and cab corners alot of life! I installed these just a month ago, and noticed a big difference, very little to no slush getting kicked up, and sticking on the rockers/cab corners.

Also rust proofing sure helps! But if your going to do that, if you do have existing rust, sand it off first, get rid of any rust you can, prime/paint, then rust proof.

And the best type of rust proofing is Krown, or any Penetrant. Simple reason, Krown is NOT a "sealant", it's a PENETRANT, unlike a Sealant, witch just covers up, Krown penetrates through anything (to a certain limit), rather than just sealing up.

The problem with sealants is, if theres existing rust, mud, or anything underneath, it will get trapped under the sealant....causing corrosion. And sealants usually crack, and start peeling off after some years, when that happens, salt, mud, crap gets trapped in the cracks, or chunks falling off, and again, forms rust.

That doesn't happen with Krown, as it stays oily all the time, never drys up.

But really, to some it all up, nothing compares to a good wash! Spray really good the bottom of the fenders, rockers, cab corners, inner fenders on the box, both bumpers, frame, and spring shakles are the most important ones to keep clean!

Hope this helps your Ford keep trucking for another good long time

Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 PM
therifleman556
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So this krown stuff, is it like a rust converter? Whats it look like and where do you get it?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:16 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
It's just an oil base penetrant. I know some areas don't even have Krowns. I'm sure if you google Krown Rust control, or Krown rust proofing, you'll find all you need to know about it.

Heres the wedsite for it.

KROWN RUST CONTROL

Old 01-10-2012, 07:37 PM
greywynd
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another good one is Fluid Film, it's a great one for home application, as it's a natural product, it's lanolin based, which is a byproduct of cleaning wool.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Old thread I know, but it's that time of year again, figured I'd bring it back up.

And also, changed my interior protection abit. I got tired of that silly clear plastic, just didn't look good.

So I got some floor rugs. They are carpet, with thick rubber backing (the same thing you walk on when you walk into stores etc.) cut 'em up to fit in the cab nicely, and gives a much nicer, clean look. I've also done the same to my winter truck (94 4x4 F150, and DD '98 Buick Century).

Also for my mudflaps, I cut out and made a piece of diamond plate, and pop riveted the rubber mudflap on it, to help keep them straight on the highway. Now I get 0 accumulations of snow/slush and crap on my rockers or cab corners, and back bumper and rear box corners!

Cause when you have an original, 23 year old salt belt truck, with no body work ever done to it, and looks like this, you wanna keep it that way!

And also, my van is now stored for winter. I am now driving this,

1994 F150 4x4 5spd 300 straight 6, Shorty truck, with a bricknose front clip I put on

Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It may be rust free, but seems to have a cab shrinkage issue............

Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Well I went through a car wash, and the water was abit to hot....box didn't like it