Sponsored by: Moser

MyKey B.S.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM
03redstx
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MyKey B.S.

Was bored one day and was messing around with the settings on my '12 F150, and somehow programmed one of my keys to limit speed to 80 mph and make me put my seatbelt on or its shuts off radio...i just avoided using that key...just had a remote start put in and now both keys do it..how do i de-program this feature?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:54 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go through the settings and see if either key lets you into the MyKey menu. Both keys are given to you at the dealer as "Admin" keys, when you program one of them as a "MyKey" it takes away the MyKey settings on the dash when that key is used. The other key is still an "Admin" key though and will let you in the settings to disable the other MyKeys created. If somehow when your remote start was installed you other key was programmed as a MyKey you have to get another admin key made to disable the other 2 MyKeys.

There is no way to disable the MyKey feature without another Admin key. If there was a way (by disconnecting the battery etc) all the high school kids, or restricted company employees would be doing it to get the full functionally out of the vehicle. I did this with the only key I had at work almost 80 miles away without thinking about it. One of my co workers drove to my house to get me the other key.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 AM
mpally
Senior User
On the 2013's I believe you can go to settings on the dash, go to MyKey and clear all settings. Let me know if you can't figure it out and I can look on mine. I know there is a way to clear the settings though.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:19 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
There is…with an admin key.
This is what the owners manual has to say about it:

Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM
03redstx
Tuned
thanks for that...i tried that but have no such msg..clear mykey...ill have to check again when i get home

Old 11-27-2012, 02:15 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
If your key at home doesn't work I would be visiting the shop that installed your remote start for 2 reasons. To find out why creating a MyKey was necessary to install the remote start, and to see if they can clear it- if not to collect my money for a replacement admin key.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM
FORDSVTPARTS
Former Vendor
My 13 year old programmed my mothers Escape so that a speed warning would chime anywhere over 60mph just before she went on a long trip.

Hilarious that boy is.

-Steve

Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 AM
03redstx
Tuned
i appreciate all of the help...i used the instructions in the manual to try the first time and i wasnt shown the erase mykey message...these instructions brought me right to it and I was able to reset this key...ill hopefully do the other when i get home..thanks again

Old 11-28-2012, 12:55 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
All of the MyKeys should be cleared. You can't get to those settings with a programmed MyKey.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:42 PM
FlyingWithFord
New User
My story

So after quite a few days and many hours of research I did get mykey reset. I wanted to share with the community my story to help the next guy.

I purchased a newer Ford with the MyKey restrictions available. The vehicle came with 2 key fobs. Like most folks that ran into this issue I didn't know what mykey was, until after I already inserted both keys and restricted them. I wasn't thinking about what exactly I was doing and was interested in seeing everything this fancy ford could do.

After changing both keys I looked in the setting and saw I had two mykeys programmed and one admin key. Of course I didn't have that last admin key as it was floating around with one of the previous owners. With that said the typical owners manual solution would not help me because it required at least one admin key remaining.

I decided to bring it into my local ford dealer and they wanted to charge me $200 for a new key to be cut and programmed. I said thank you have a nice day. They also weren't very familiar with what issue I was having, so I didn't even feel confident they could resolve the issue.

I went home and researched and learned about IDS. IDS is the program ford uses for diagnostics and changes to the PCM. It's on a laptop and is a regular windows program. Inside the IDS program their is the menu for security settings which brings you to PATS. When you bring up PATS the option is their to Remove and Reporgram Keys.

So to solve the issue of having MyKey reset to 0 keys you need your keys removed and reprogrammed. The service shop had to login to a Ford system brought up in Internet explorer and they removed the keys from the PATS. After Adding the keys back to PATS (you must have two keys to re-add), the keys were back to admin keys.

The shop that I went to was very kind and because I had two keys and didn't need to purchase one it was free. That was a courtesy, they could've charged me. You dont have to pay for new keys. They simply need to go into PATS remove the keys and program them as new keys.

If you goto the service manager with the knowledge I have shared and the specifics of the process I don't see them charging you much if any.

I hope I could help anyone that likes to push buttons as much as I do and fiddle with things.

-Christian

Old 10-09-2015, 11:25 AM
heyryanscully
New User
So, you NEED two keys to do what you did??

I only have one...

Old 10-25-2015, 03:57 PM
ac130eng
New User
I'm in the same boat. Can't turn off MyKey limits and only have one key. MyKey, what a dumb idea. It just gets users into trouble they can't get out of.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Yeah, dumb idea. Until you own a business with knuckleheads that drive your vehicles, or a teenage driver...

Old 10-26-2015, 05:41 PM
eriebasin
Senior User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Yeah, dumb idea. Until you own a business with knuckleheads that drive your vehicles, or a teenage driver...
Indeed! I love the MyKey feature. I loaned my truck to my brother for 2 weeks while his vehicle was in the shop; I keep the MyKey set for instances like that.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:25 AM
vancouver f250
Freshman User
I have read the manual and have to be honest didn't understand what this MyKey business is all about. If I am the only driver is there any reason to go through this MyKey setup?

Quick Reply: MyKey B.S.