1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Intro thread, '56 F100 Express

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 PM
skuerto
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intro thread, '56 F100 Express

Hello,
Ill try to be brief. Great site here with lots of information. I've been using this site as my main avenue for research for the past couple months and subsequently came across a project truck that I could not pass up. I know most people like pictures so i'll add in a couple cell phone pics.

$800 (after a nice haggling session) got me this in my garage. Sitting behind what I hope to be hauling in it possibly next summer.

Truck is pretty darn complete, came with an extra set of doors, lots of tune up parts(plugs, wires, gaskets, etc..), new drivers door glass and window seals, and a nice stuck motor that has been sitting for awhile. Figured the price was too good to pass up.

Couple other pics.

Now, my plan for this truck is to just get it running for now and see what happens. I have a some experience working in the body industry and am saving that work for last. I have very little experience (none really at all) with old v8 motors. Would like to get it moving under its own power for the time being and figure out my plan of attack from there. Its hard for me to really know what I want out of it not ever driving a pickup like this before. I am not looking to make a show truck by any means. I hope to make something I can drive around town to the hardware store and the track. Not afraid to drive it just how it looks for the first summer even.

First step, check out the motor.

Well, this is where I have already ran into a fork in the road. The origional 272 now has a 3.75" bore which apparently means it is now a 292. Motor seems to have non-matching heads and has pitting in the back cylinder on the drivers side from the valve being open which is why it was stuck. I've removed the stuck piston and honed the cylinder.

I am already looking for guidance regarding the motor. Is it worth my time and money to work with the Y block keeping in mind I might not even use it down the road. I know I could drop a lot of money into it at a machine shop getting everything checked out but I thinking I would look for a different drive train if that was the case.

There are a lot of donor vehicles and parts available to go any road possibly around here so my possibilities seem endless.

Enough with the rambling, I really am enjoying this site and figured I would say Hi. I would appreciate any advice any of you may have regarding my Y block situation and possible routes I could take with this motor.

Jason

Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$800.00? You are the man! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the pictures. Keep them coming. I'm probably not the best guy to give motor advice as I am a stocker. I'd keep the Y-block or get another one. There are several guys here who will offer you cookies....

Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
I'm a flathead guy, so I'm no help either, but I will second the "welcome to the forum."

It's a good looking truck. Lots of potential. $800? You should get jail time for stealing it for that price.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:21 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome! I'll agree that the $800 purchase price is a steal. You can recoup some of the purchase price by selling the doors. Plus, you still have the new parts that came with the truck. I wouldn't be surprise if your truck cost you a few hundred dollars by the time you take into account the worthiness of the extra doors and the new parts.

As for the motor, I'm a stocker. I'd either build up the existing motor or look for another running y-block that was pulled from a truck when that motor was replaced with something else.

Start scouring your local and nearby Craigslist, as well as posting wanted ads.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Opinion:
Get a "more original" y-block, or, admit that it's already modified beyond original and do with it what you need. In other words, keeping somebody else's mods just because that's how you got it is only valid if the mods are worthy of keeping. In my opinion, mis-matched heads and a shell of a block in a less-than-irreplaceable vehicle aren't justification for significant investment in rebuilding it as received. So, either get a good deal on a proper, serviceable y-block or go with something that gives better performance, you can better afford and you can also get parts for.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Come over and get some cookie's. I don't want to offend the purest's, but if you wnat an everday driver, update the drivetrain to make it serviceable on the road. IMHO if you want a truck that's going to be on the road on a daily basis, make it user friendly. If it's just going to be a weekend toy, by all mean's keep it original.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Nothing sounds better than a Y block with Smithys mufflers I put 1,100 miles on my 56 panel running 70 mph and was getting almost 17 miles to the gallon. Yes I do have factory overdrive.

There are a lot of aftermarket parts being offered for the Y and performance is now easily attained at 1 hp per 1 cubic inch

Swap in another Y, and you'll be very happy

Old 10-18-2012, 05:49 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I too will recommend another Y-block. Dad had the smallest displacement Y-block in his 55 F-100, a 239 cube motor out of a 54. That engine had plenty of power. I towed my first F-2 home behind that Y-block. I had no problems driving across Houston and down 200 miles of I-10 with that truck, trailer, and second truck.

Decent running 292s come up occasionally for not too much money. If you have no need to race or impress other people with your high horsepower modern engine, then the Y-block works great.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 PM
skuerto
New User
Thanks for the replies and advice, seems like a better conditioned Y block might be the way to go and I am leaning towards that as well. Would be the easiest and quickest for me to get the truck moving and I'm not really concerned about power, just want a driver.

I Have already found about half a dozen ads on the surrounding CL's for 272/292/312 Y blocks. I think ill do some more research on those and tear into my current motor more for some experience and try to make a good choice on a possible replacement. I really would like to drive this thing next summer just in its current condition and get a feel for the truck before I work too much on the body.

Just have to see what I can find shopping around and see what happens.....

Old 10-18-2012, 09:08 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Welcome to the board!! That looks like a nice project, especailly for $800. I like your plan of getting it running and driving it a bit. Once you get it moving under its own power and gets some miles on it the old truck will start telling you what direction it wants to go on the rebuild. Some trucks opt for all original, some for minor safety upgrades to improve driveability, while others scream and holler for full blown customization.

Whichever way you choose to go, enjoy the ride
Bobby

Old 10-19-2012, 05:38 PM
rzns60
Senior User
Welcome. $800 that is killing it. Personally I would just pick up a cheap 5.0 out of a mustang or a 302 on Craigslist.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
NICE FIND! Only you can decide what to do with the drivetrain, do what pleases you and makes it the truck you want it to be. If that means keeping or replacing the Y with another, or updating to a more modern engine: same or different manufacturer, 4, 6, 8. or 10 cylinder, gas, diesel, LP, or biomass, whatever fits your needs, budget, and skill level. If you aren't strong in mechanicals and want to get it on the road, finding a good running engine would be my recommendation.
Same for the tranny.
You probably will want to change the rear axle, the express likely has a stump puller ratio in it.
The front end suspension and axle can be quite good once rebuilt and tightened up, and avoids most of the clearance issues, fabrication needs and snowballing mods involved with an IFS.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:09 PM
bj928
Senior User
i collected a 56 panel last weekend for just $850, from Alexandria, MN not that far from you, and i'm based up in Fargo, ND, it seems the good deals are about if u look for them.