Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: what would you do?
Junk yard rebuild
0%
refurbished store bought
100.00%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

e40d rebuild or buy refurbished

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:00 AM
wicat3
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e40d rebuild or buy refurbished

I got to thinking today, not sure how I got here but I did, Would you buy a junk yard transmission and rebuild it or buy one from a company or place like advanced that you dont have to do much of anything too? Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on it and why. For me I would love to get a junk yard one and rebuild it but in reality I would be getting the refurbished one with a warranty because I know I wouldnt have any time or money to rebuild one.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A transmission tech, who rebuilds trannies all day every day, once told me that he rebuilt one at home once--and would never do it again. He said it's so much easier to do it and get it right at the shop where they have all the specialized tools and proper work environment.

Jason

Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmm... I'd say if I could afford to have the truck out of service for a few weeks, I'd rebuild it myself. I really ain't scared to tear stuff apart though, knowing that if it was put together by someone the first time, then another guy (me) can certainly put it together a second time. Hell, half the time taking stuff apart can be harder than gettin it back together. Anyone that's ever had the pleasure of attempting to remove a recessed external snap ring from a place where your snap ring pliers barely have room to work can tell you that.

A relatively clean place to work, a bucket of rags, a digital camera to take pics as you tear stuff down, some spending money for things you forget or run out of like PB Blaster (or other favorite penetrating oil), and time and patience. A good destruction manual with exploded views can help, too.
Above all, remember that nothing can be torn down or reassembled without an ample supply of cold, frosty beer.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Roger T. Pipe
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW, I'd buy an already re-built unit online. I've known people who've done this with good results. You'll also get a warranty with it too, which is important. One thing to remember with these trannys...you need quite a few different specialty tools (read: expen$ive) to disassemble & reassemble them. That is usually the sole reason for buying a ready to use unit. I've seen them on ebay for anywhere from 600-1200.00 so it pays to shop around.
Roger

Old 10-09-2012, 01:55 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
yea i could get a rebuilt with a warranty around here not installed $800

Old 10-09-2012, 02:51 PM
vochy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My opionion, take it for what its worth. Pull the tranny your self and take it to a shop to be rebuilt. Then reinstall it your self.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:05 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vochy
My opionion, take it for what its worth. Pull the tranny your self and take it to a shop to be rebuilt. Then reinstall it your self.
Only if the rebuild shop will warranty it with you installing it and not them.

I rebuilt trannys in my shops and would not warranty them if my shop did not install it. Think about it? Would you?

Old 10-09-2012, 03:21 PM
wicat3
Elder User
I hear ya. I know Ive seen online for something like 800 bucks you send them your tranny and it comes back in a stage 3 performance upgrades. I have been looking around fearing the worse on my tranny to see whats around and it seems to rebuild my transmission would be almost a wash over a new one with a warranty.

Many people dont think about the warranty aspect of it when you pull it out yourself and bring it down to them

Old 10-09-2012, 07:43 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
how many miles on the truck and current E40D?
how has the maintenance been?
what are your symptoms?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 PM
wicat3
Elder User
well im just currious what people think when it comes to replacing the transmission. You get alot of guys who like to DIY and build there trucks. I probbly could rebuild a motor with some time and paticence but a transmission is a bit diffrent to me.

My truck is a 92 with about 165000 miles and is starting to show a torque converter shudder, around 40-50 mph it seems to stumble and buck a bit but let off the gas and it shifts hard or power through it and it straighten out. I have not serviced it yet and do not know when the last time it was done. I have plans to service the tranny tommrow night after work with my buddy, was suppose to be tonight but hes backed up so hopefully tommrow night

Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Southern Bronco
Elder User
I would go with the store/tranny shop reman just for the warranty. At the shop I manage we have an agreement with one of the local tranny shops if a transmission job comes in.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wicat3
My truck is a 92 with about 165000 miles and is starting to show a torque converter shudder, around 40-50 mph it seems to stumble and buck a bit but let off the gas and it shifts hard or power through it and it straighten out. I have not serviced it yet and do not know when the last time it was done. I have plans to service the tranny tommrow night after work with my buddy, was suppose to be tonight but hes backed up so hopefully tommrow night
you wouldn't think about rebuilding a manual trans when the clutch goes would you?
there's no point in the thinking the same thing when the converter is going in an auto.just replace the converter if your not experiencing any gear slips.that's after properly diagnosing the issue as a mechanical failure and not an electrical one.shutter doesn't sound promising though.
hard to say,new fluid could cure what ails her for many years to come too.

Originally Posted by wicat3
well im just currious what people think when it comes to replacing the transmission. You get alot of guys who like to DIY and build there trucks. I probbly could rebuild a motor with some time and paticence but a transmission is a bit diffrent to me.
i would likely order my E40D from here:
http://www.monstertrans.com/store/

Old 10-10-2012, 05:44 AM
wicat3
Elder User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
you wouldn't think about rebuilding a manual trans when the clutch goes would you?
there's no point in the thinking the same thing when the converter is going in an auto.just replace the converter if your not experiencing any gear slips.that's after properly diagnosing the issue as a mechanical failure and not an electrical one.shutter doesn't sound promising though.
hard to say,new fluid could cure what ails her for many years to come too.

Thats what im hoping for! If it dosent and I need a new converter I would still think I have to pull the trany to get at it. So at that time I would think installing at least a few upgrades would be a good way to go. I know the 95 pump is much better then the 92 pump in the trannys but if im going to do that maybe a refurb would be better. Thats what I would be thinking becuase I dont want to put a converter in to find out a month or two later the tranny needs to be replaced or has burnt up or something that always seems to happen