front oil seal orientaton, aftermarket timing cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 PM
RockWVU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front oil seal orientaton, aftermarket timing cover

putting my fresh motor together, 1986 460 f350.

I got an aftermarket timing cover as mine was nasty.

I am second guessing my self on the front seal i installed in the cover.

The 460 book i was referencing stated that on aluminum covers, install from rear. It would only go in one way from the rear and looked like it'd work just fine. Put some sealer on it and tapped in with a larger socket. So i installed water pump and oil pan, etc.

The seal in my engine kit and timing cover kit are identical.

Now looking at it, it looks as if it could go in from the front. My Haynes book shows it going in from them front.

I dont know what to do. which is right?

The timing cover had a nice flat flange on the inside for the metal lip to seat against unlike the factory one that has a rounded edge.

Should i finish getting the motor in the truck and see if it leaks? or change it now? what is correct?

Advice?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:02 AM
big vann
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The seal lip should point towards the engine,ie;the oil source. Use the crank spacer to align the cover prior to tightening it.I installed mine from the back with the lip facing the engine.By "lip" I mean the neoprene lip with the spring on the inside.You should be able to see the spring after install.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 AM
RockWVU
Senior User
i just tore it all apart. Apparently, there are two types of seals. I am not sure of the year, but there is an early style and late style for lack of better terms.

the book i was reading was dated late 70s, in the author's defense, i think there was only one style of seal and i was mislead by the info it said.

Mine is the late style. it should have been installed from the front. This also allows it to be changed in the future without removing the whole timing cover.

lots of gasket scrapin, no fun.

feel free to correct me if i am wrong on this.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:00 PM
big vann
Senior User
I don't believe the diameter of the opening will allow a seal to be installed from the front.Just remember the lip points to the engine.The side facing up is the "lip".

Old 10-10-2012, 07:46 AM
RockWVU
Senior User
My seal is different, it has a metal "flange" around that. it seats on the outside of the cover. i would take a pic but i just put the damper on, and it's covvered.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM
big vann
Senior User
Then yours looks like the seal on the left.What brand gasket?I have a Felpro and a MrGasket set and both are like the right side.The flanged one is facing up and that side goes to the engine.As long as the seal fits and the lip faces the engine,you shoud be alright.The seal on the left is from a SBF 351W.Only used for the picture.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM
big vann
Senior User
Here is the "spring" I spoke of around the lip of the seal.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:57 PM
RockWVU
Senior User
Originally Posted by big vann
Then yours looks like the seal on the left.What brand gasket?I have a Felpro and a MrGasket set and both are like the right side.The flanged one is facing up and that side goes to the engine.As long as the seal fits and the lip faces the engine,you shoud be alright.The seal on the left is from a SBF 351W.Only used for the picture.
Indeed, mine is like the one on the left.

It was included with my fel-pro engine kit that came from the machine shop that did the work on my motor.

I also got another one just like it from Napa as part of timing set gasket kit. Felpro as well.

I guess it must just go off of the year that you tell them it is.

As i said earlier, the manual i was reading had a copyright of 1979 or so. I assume ford came out with the different type of seal after that.

Ultimately, the other night, i tore everything apart and replaced the seal, and installed it the correct way, spring/lip inside, metal flange outside.

Thanks for your help Van, hopefully someone else can benefit from this.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 854 Likes on 772 Posts
Just did this on my 87 460. Just like Vann said, both aftermarket cover seal and NAPA-Felpro on mine are like the seal on the left with the lip and installed from the front of cover. My aftermarket cover also had hole for dip stick, which I ended up threading and using a pipe plug.