1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG Rugged Terrain T/A or All Terrain T/A KO

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:46 PM
montey2005
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well I bit the bullett and on Monday I'm getting a set of BFG's. Mounted to 1280!!!!!!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heck no we traded our 02 F250 4x4 super cab V10 in for a 2002 Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab V10 that we have now. Our beauty 02 F250 was at a toyota delarship. We traded it in for this but unfortenetly we didn't get TA KOs with the deal.
Trav
We got this and later added the truck box and 05 take off running boards.

and now but I better get on topic again.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by tinfish
When I bought my (used) 2006 F250, it came with brand-new BFG Rugged Terrain tires on it. For my use I like them -- fairly quiet on the highway, but the traction has been good when I've had to drive across a field or over a mountain pass. If I was doing more extreme off-road driving I could see wanting chunkier tires, but these seem fine for the way I use the truck, mostly on-road, snow in the winter, once in a while using 4wd to get through some mud or deep gravel.
How do they handle snow? It's hard to get a good read on that since they've only been out one winter.
Thanks!
Steve

Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by montey2005
well I bit the bullett and on Monday I'm getting a set of BFG's. Mounted to 1280!!!!!!
Which ones are you getting?

Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Km1210
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are my BFG Rugged Terrain 285s. I have almost 10,000 miles on them and show no signs of wear. I mostly dailey drive on the road and some light offroading. Didn't have too much snow last year but they held up great when we did. Sometimes I would drive through deep sand towing a little trailer with quads and dirtbikes on it and got me through no questions asked.

I really like them and my first choice was going to be the BFG All Terrain's but I decided to try these out anyway. Glad I did. When these get worn down, I'm gonna put on BFG All Terrians next to see which ones I like out of the two. Hope this helps!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:15 AM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
I went from a Kumho AT 305/70r16E (in pictures) to a 285/75R16E BFG AT KO on a 16x8 wheel. I can definitely tell why the BFG "E" tire is not severe snow rated compared to their other sizes, siping. The tread blocks are much more solid on this size. Which will make them less effective in snow and sometimes rain. They have fairly open tread blocks, so loose dirt and "some" mud should be ok, however BFG AT KO on other trucks in mud were pointless. I also noticed the tread blocks seem to be "reinforced" more on this size. Instead of the tread block going straight down, they are angled. I suspect that to get the E rating the tread had to be stabilized more, and hence unable to get the severe snow rating.

While not a direct comparison, the Kumho's did really well in the very bad snow we had the previous few winters. They handled fairly well on road and were cheap. Near the end of their wear, they were downright dangerous tho with road grip. Still had treadlife left, but would always slip badly leaving a moderate light in the rain. Hoping for some snow this winter to see how the BFG's do.

One thing I've always noticed about the BFG's compared to any other tire is cornering. Because of their squared off tread shoulders, they are a little more unstable at the limits of cornering and the tire "feels" like it's edges are folding over at times. that said, they seem to be wearing well enough, not sure exactly how many miles I have on them yet.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 AM
montey2005
Senior User
Originally Posted by hink10
Which ones are you getting?
TA KO's in the 275 65 20

Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 AM
tinfish
New User
Originally Posted by hink10
How do they handle snow? It's hard to get a good read on that since they've only been out one winter.
Thanks!
Steve
Mine are the Rugged Terrain TA in the stock size. I'd rate them as "fine" in the snow. Not as good as a studded snow tire, but I wasn't all slipping around, either. We went over Snoqualmie Pass in a snowstorm and the truck chugged along just fine, same for a few snowy days around town.

They are the only tires I have had on this truck, so I can't make a true apples-to-apples comparison. But I'm happy enough with them that if I needed to buy new tires tomorrow I would probably just buy the same ones.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM
dscabra
Tuned
TA KO all the way! I ran them in a 37x12.50R17 on my truck and they wore great and were good in wet/dry/snow. My only suggestion would be to get the E load range tires, not the D if you plan to haul much weight or tow anything. The D range tires tended to get a bit mushy (sidewall flex) unless I aired them way up. Here is a picture of my truck with the BFGs:

Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just orderd a set of 305/65/18 Load E's in the BFG AT KO's had a set of 285/65/18's on it and they were 6 years old when removed with about 53k on them still had good tread life left but with a 13k 5er I felt new tire were in order.

I went with a Cooper Discover AT/3, got a good deal on them but they are definatly feeling more "squishy" when loaded, even at 80psi. So needless to say after about 2k miles Im removing them and going back to BFG's. I also tried a set of Good Year Silent Armours mounted on DC-2s and tey were worse, sold them off and bought a set of 11 Lariat take offs, now just have to wait for the tires to show up.

The only thing that concerns me is the 65psi max

I will snap a pic. when they are installed.

Sarge

Old 10-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Ridenred333
Senior User
the tko's are great tires. However I went with the general grabber at2 because they were 70 buck a tire cheap. Also I dont know if anyone mentioned this or not byt the tko's have triple sidewall pertection so that is a pulls if you need the extra pertection.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Ridenred333
Senior User
also I have been really happy with the grabbers so far, they get really great traction. I had them when I lived in georgia and now in alabama and they seem to do great in the sand and clay mud we have down here. I dont know how they would do in the snow or ice but I assume pretty decent as they have alot of sipping on the tread.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 AM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks for the input everyone. After much thinking and visiting some tire stores I'm thinking I may go back to the Silent Armours I had on my last Ex. They are more money but I know how they performed. They did very good in snow, had low road noise and didn't wear too bad, even without regular rotation. I guess if it's not broken, don't fix it.

I'm still undecided, but I'm leaning towards the SAa. I looked at the BFG AT, BFG RT, and the Silent Armours side by side and the SA's looked like a nice in between. I'm just afraid the BFG ATs may have a bit more road noise than I would like. Didn't think that would be a big deal, but the wife does. I don't think the BFG RTs would give the snow traction I need. That's pretty important, I just wrecked my last Ex in a roll-over and I am overly cautious at this time. I want to be safe in the snow even though it looks like another light snow year in my part of the country.

So... think thinking.

Steve

Old 10-07-2012, 12:01 PM
hink10
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Just orderd a set of 305/65/18 Load E's in the BFG AT KO's had a set of 285/65/18's on it and they were 6 years old when removed with about 53k on them still had good tread life left but with a 13k 5er I felt new tire were in order.

I went with a Cooper Discover AT/3, got a good deal on them but they are definatly feeling more "squishy" when loaded, even at 80psi. So needless to say after about 2k miles Im removing them and going back to BFG's. I also tried a set of Good Year Silent Armours mounted on DC-2s and tey were worse, sold them off and bought a set of 11 Lariat take offs, now just have to wait for the tires to show up.

The only thing that concerns me is the 65psi max

I will snap a pic. when they are installed.

Sarge
So you thought the Silent Armours weren't good towers? I thought they did pretty well. I pull a 10K TT with a pretty hefty tongue weight using a Hensley Arrow hitch. I don't tow often but when I do, it's through the mountains. You think the BFG AT KOs would be a better choice?
Thanks,
Steve

Old 10-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I felt my truck was more stable with the BFG's than I did with the Silent Armours, the truck just feels loose with the Coopers and the SA's were, I felt, alot worse than the Coopers. I think the sidewall on the BFG's is a 10 Ply, and I know the tire itself weighs more so the side wall is definaltely stiffer.

Just my experience, not saying they are a bad tire, either of them, the Cooper or the SA, infact I like the tread pattern on the SA better than the Cooper. I have no experience with them in the snow as I didnt have them long enough.

Sarge

Quick Reply: BFG Rugged Terrain T/A or All Terrain T/A KO