Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Junior User

billingslm1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
O.T Question, 1948 Ford 8n Tractor

Hey guys, a little bit off topic, but still a Ford question.

Im going to be going to get my grandpa's old 1948 ford 8n tractor, he cant drive it, and hasn't in almost 10 years. He has a bad leg and couldn't push the clutch in, so he drove it into the barn and left it sense.

He says it was running just fine when he parked it, but 10 YEARS! where should i start in getting this thing back to running and using condition.

I was thinking, New battery, (maybe new wiring harness if its in bad condition), flush out the fuel tank, and fuel line (probably new fuel line), new Carb. New springs all the way around, flush out the radiator. Oil change.

any more suggestions would be great.

thanks.

1955 F100 Straight six
Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Change the transmission fluid, differential, hydraulic system, five gallons, all one reservoir. Don't get rid of the original carb. Learn how to work on it and keep it. I don't quite understand what you mean by "springs". Go here for an outstanding site on old Ford tractors.

N Tractor Club

And go here for a good honest parts supplier. Don and Derrick are good folks. You can believe what they say.

Just8Ns - Ford Tractor Parts and Restoration
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a whle.
If there’s one thing that the government is highly skilled at, it is creating excessive amounts of bureaucracy and extra layers of red tape for people to wade through.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Junior User

transmission! I knew i was missing something. Thanks.

And by springs, i was thinking break springs, clutch spings.

1955 F100 Straight six
Old 09-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Posting Guru

The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.The Horvaths has a good reputation on FTE.
Fluids are a must after ten years of condensation and oxidation. I like to use a dot of a good lube/solvent like "Marvel Mystery Oil" in each spark plug hole, let sit, turn over by hand, insert clean plugs and rock and roll.

BTW: my dad's then freshly-restored 9N was the first clutch I drove in early '70s. He said "Give it some gas and let off the clutch.".
Front wheels come eighteen inches or so off the ground.
He says "A little less gas and a little more clutch."
I brush-hogged the whole North end that day.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:06 AM
Junior User

ha, i did the same thing with my old mans ferguson when i was 12. had those front tires way up in the air!

1955 F100 Straight six
Old 09-27-2012, 07:06 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks