Sponsored by: Moser

4x4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 PM
HotrodSmurf
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
4x4 conversion

How much of a hassle would it be to make my 76 f100 a 4x4.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:52 PM
460 FORD MAN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IMO, You would be better off buying a 4x4.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 PM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 460 FORD MAN
IMO, You would be better off buying a 4x4.
What he said. It is a pain to convert a RWD to a 4x4 but yes it is possible & it has been done many times. It is something that I'll never attempt with this generation of F Series.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
3x the previous.

However let your ambition, skills, resources, and available time be your guide. 4WOR magazine converted a 79 but states ". it is no easy task". With that said, here's the article outlining their approach: 1979 Ford F-150 4x4 & Off Road Project Truck - 4Wheel & Off-Road

But how about building a prerunner with yer 2WD?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 PM
elgemcdlf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Once again you get the buy a 4x4 if that is what you want. Way too much work when you can just go buy 1.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Dace
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf
Once again you get the buy a 4x4 if that is what you want. Way too much work when you can just go buy 1.
I guess it depends on the circumstances.

My family's company, Lobo Engines (now long gone), bought a 1974 Ford F350 Super Cab Camper Special Ranger XLT with a 460 CID engine in September of 1973. This truck recently came to me from my Uncle who was the one who bought it.

I would love it to be a 4x4. In my case it may be worth the work.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:19 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Yes it can and has been done many times but, unless you have superior welding and fab skills, it would be a project best left to others.
The frame of a 4X4 is different. And in your case this truck was never offered by Ford. All 4WD from 73-76 were only available with either the 300 6 or the 360 V8.
If you tackle this be sure to start a build thread. It will help keep you focused on your goal and not lose interest.
It would be a shame to take something that has a lot of family history and sentimental value and end up with a pile of parts.
Personal Note, whenever you attach the word "sentimental" to a project, it can get real expensive real quick! (that's personal experience talking).
Whatever way you decide to go, enjoy.
Also, if you were to swap frames, that would pretty much defeat your purpose. From a legal standpoint in most states the frame VIN is the one used for title purposes, so you would end up with a different vehicle.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 PM
ShaneNP123
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I too was wondering about this for my 79. I understand its not a bolt in deal like the 80-96 trucks. I have done one swap on a 94. I also have done a leaf sprung dana44 solid axle swap in my 1980. Fabrication is no problem for me. The only thing is, i dont really want to piece this truck together, its fairly original and dont like the idea of fabbed/modded suspension and frame parts on it, so im going to keep my eyes open for a 4x4 with a wrecked body or something to do a frame swap

Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 PM
HotrodSmurf
Senior User
I was hoping the frames weren't differant. Crap. I thought about a prerunner but I live in a little valley, so the places to play are the surrounding mountains nowhere to go zoomin or jump.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:57 PM
JB78f150
Posting Guru
Plenty of guys are parting out trucks on here. Someone would have a frame for you if you wanted one.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 PM
HotrodSmurf
Senior User
Nah, the frame is one of two or three things ugly has goin for her, it wouldn't make sense to swap it. Looks like she'll just tear up the streets.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:10 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Here is a little MORE info to consider, and a good read from a fellow FTE'er.

There is nothing nuts and bolts about a 4wd conversion. Having preformed several myself, there is not a thing that is bolt on or swappable. The engine cross members are entirely different, and this means that if an un molested truck is what you are after, it will be impossible to create one with a 2wd platform. The 2wd will have to be lifted quite a way to clear the front diff.

2wd trucks are coil sprung and most F250 4wd's are leaf sprung. None of the suspension items are even close to the same, so you will be fabricating or modifying some original 4wd stuff to work. Steering systems are entirely different as well, so you will be upgrading that too. My last conversion with leafs ran me several thousand dollars, and that was with the work that I performed for free.

The difference in sale values between a 4wd and 2wd are minimal, and the 4wd conversion is hardly justifiable. How far away are you looking? I pick up F250 4x4's for reasonable money. Consider the cost of shipping, and then consider buying a west coast truck with no rust, and I can guarantee that you will be time and money ahead. Well the frames are similar, with a few exceptions. The frame horns are slightly different, and the frame widths aft of the cab ar different from 73 to 77 trucks. The frame rise is also slightly different, but this is not a show stopper and does not make much difference one the fabrication begins.

Not that the important question is whether or not you will be using a coils springs or a leaf spring. It is possible to install a 78/9 radius arm and suspension. Not a big deal really, and with a standard cab this is reasonable. Not quite as easy with a super cab and or crew cab.

The 2wd frames are not cut for the shackle pivot, and they do not have the provisions for a spring hanger, but again, this is not a deal breaker. Installing a pivot is just a tedious process. Accuracy is key, but I am not telling you anything that you do not already know.
Ok, so next is the transfer case. You have two choices, Install a married case, and this requires the proper transmission. Might find some difficulty making or modifying an output shaft to accommodate the early C6 and a married transfer case. So then the next option is to find a divorced transfer case, and install this. You will have to make up a cross member, but then you will have to get creative with the shifter linkage.

See the 4wd trans will have an adapter or tailshaft with a pivot for a typical 205 shifter.
Fabrication is the only limiting factor here.
Next and final factor will be the speedo. See your speedo works from the trans, so that being the case, you will have to get a speed reference form the t-case. If you do not, the speedo will read twice as fast when you put the case in low range.

As mentioned the steering box will have to be relocated, and the truck will require some lift. That engine crossmember has limited clearance so you will be looking at some lift to even clear it. The other option would be to remove it and replace it with a tubular unit.

This is a heck of a project. Not unreasonable, but a project none the less.
2500 bucks for a 2wd might get expensive. I paid 1300 bucks for a 4wd 75 last year, and it was already 4wd with 38" tires, and a strong 460, A/c, and plenty of goodies. I have made these conversions, and can tell you that it is a chore.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:35 AM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Here is a little MORE info to consider, and a good read from a fellow FTE'er.
Well written, Rich. Good advice from a fellow FTE'er.
Tried to rep you but it says I've gotta spread it around some.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:43 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
Well written, Rich. Good advice from a fellow FTE'er.
Tried to rep you but it says I've gotta spread it around some.
I repped him for you. You're welcome !

Old 09-22-2012, 11:00 AM
shookdaddy
Senior User
Iagree it is a project and u will need a lot of parts. But I built mine in about a week and I drive mine one the street a lot but I have done quite a few of these, but on the other hand if u can weld and fabricate this is not so bad oh and u definitely need to be able to read a tapemeasure lol it would be easier. To find a 4wd but if you want to be able to say this is mine I bult it then go for it remember (built not bought) but who am I .

Quick Reply: 4x4 conversion