Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Hemi swap!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:41 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My vote for the frame is not yellow. Not sure whar color to suggest, though.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:58 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Before painting would be a great time to add little things to the frame like retainer mounts for fuel lines, wiring, exhaust hangers, etc

Personally yellow is my least favorite color in existence, doing the frame yellow would be overkill.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 PM
Jaydoubleyou
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddfordjunkie
Before painting would be a great time to add little things to the frame like retainer mounts for fuel lines, wiring, exhaust hangers, etc

Personally yellow is my least favorite color in existence, doing the frame yellow would be overkill.
I definitely will be adding those mentioned things. And actually what I'm thinking is to mount a plate that runs the length of the frame between the wheels on the drive side. And on that plate I will be able to secure all the brake and fuel lines as well as the harness. Then from there I will have spacers and another plate to protect said items from being snagged.

But I'm gonna start rattle canning soon just because I know the rear suspension will be much easier. And after that I'll start mounting the cab. At which point it may be too tall to fit inside the garage and I would like to protect all that steel from the elements.
And yea even though I love the color yellow I don't think it would work out. So for now it will probably just be black.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:13 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
I also think a yellow frame would be overkill.
I'm pretty conservative when it comes to stuff like this so I vote for semi-gloss black.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:33 AM
crrnchris
Senior User
I second the semi gloss black frame for sure!!!

Old 09-03-2014, 07:59 AM
ford_pickup
Elder User
Wow, just wow, awesome build

Old 09-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Jaydoubleyou
Senior User
Originally Posted by ford_pickup
Wow, just wow, awesome build
Lol, thanks man. I just can't wait to be able to show it off in person.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:33 PM
Jaydoubleyou
Senior User
Well the transmission cross member is done. It's pretty simple and straight forward.

Just a piece of angle iron. The pieces of tubing that stick down below the cross member will be cut off and a small plate will be welded on to cover those holes.

And there's plenty of room around the drive line. As a side note last time when I was doing the exhaust I had to Frankenstein the exhaust to get it to fit between the frame rails. That's because I was using two different frames spliced together and the Ford frame was 3 inches narrower than the Ram frame. However this frame is actually a little wider on the inside which is why I have so much room between the rails. Sooo I guess there's no reason not to get some long tube headers now.

But the best part is that there aren't any jacks or blocks holding anything up anymore. So tomorrow I'll start the process of taking everything back off so I can finish that part up.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:43 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
did i miss something? or is this truck gonna be 4 wheel drive now i thought i was crazy at first but the looks like a transfer case to me...so friggin sweeeeet

Old 09-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Jaydoubleyou
Senior User
Yes sir! It is definitely gonna be 4 wheel drive. Actually this will be the first 4 wheel drive that I've owned. I'm just sick and tired of getting stuck in dumb places. Now once I finish this I can get stuck in places that are worth getting stuck in! Haha

Old 09-04-2014, 09:36 AM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
lol well a tubular frame isnt my first choice but looking over the thread it wasn't yours either!

Keep going on this build! looks great!

If you run into problems with a tube frame, try licensing it as a kit car or something??

Old 09-04-2014, 01:20 PM
61steven
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You are one ambitious man! I'm glad to see you sticking with the truck and putting the work in. You get bonus points for TIG welding too!

I am curious to see how you will fit the body on a straight frame rail(or tube). The factory frame had bends in it.

How do you plan to title the truck now that the frame is completely custom?

Old 09-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
This man isnt afraid to take on any task it seems! good job.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:13 PM
jgavac
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by smokenchoken
did i miss something? or is this truck gonna be 4 wheel drive now i thought i was crazy at first but the looks like a transfer case to me...so friggin sweeeeet
hahahah I was thinking the same thing... All of a sudden there is a transfer case and I got really confused...

No matter what, it's going to be a killer truck

-Jameson

Old 09-04-2014, 09:24 PM
Jaydoubleyou
Senior User
Yea, mounting the body will be interesting. I'd imagine that the body will end up sitting a little higher off the frame than usual. Well just have to see.

And as for TIG welding, it is a little more time consuming but I do enjoy it. However sometimes it's a challenge when my body is in an awkward position and I still have to have one foot on the control, the torch in one hand and the filler rod in the other. I've gotten fairly good at operating the control with my knee.

As for taking on any task, I'm sure there's something that I won't be able to do... I just haven't found it yet! Ha but no the engine harness and computer programing is something that is definitely out of my league. And with this engine being the one that uses an electronic throttle, variable valve time and the multi-displacement system it's a little more complex than the typical multi-port fuel injected engine.
But I do have some really interesting ideas for the fenders and stuff. But before I can start on that though I need to finish the frame and make some room in the garage.

Anyway back to the truck. I decided to go ahead and finish getting the rear end back together so I can go ahead and mount the rear suspension. I'm going to do this and then I will strip it down and complete all the welding.

Quick Reply: Hemi swap!?