Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bagged 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:02 PM
95stepside
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bagged 4wd

I was wondering if anybody on here has done a full air ride suspension front and rear on a ttb f150/250. I know its different than the way most people would go but I'll explain myself. I'm in a wheelchair and its going to cost me a fair amount of money to make it easy to get into, so I figured I would explore all options, and from a quick search, it seems like bagging the truck and lowering it when I want to get in/out may be a cheaper option than the alternatives.I currently have the truck (95 f150 flareside) lifted about 3" but I'm willing to go back to stock if it would make this option possible.

What do you guys think?

-John

Old 09-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Here's a link that looks promising
For Pickup Truck Lovers, the Out-Rider is Better Than a Handicap Van
As far as lowering a 4x4, it's not promising. I was debating it for years, and it would be too much to reinforce the frame at the front, also the camber and front driveshaft would be all outta wack. Essentially you would be performing a c notch in the front as the same as you would for the rear.

Old 09-15-2012, 05:26 PM
95stepside
Elder User

Those seats run about 6 grand from what I've been quoted from 2 different dealers, and I'm pretty confident I can bag the truck for less than that...

Old 09-15-2012, 05:31 PM
95stepside
Elder User

And as far lowering it, it wouldn't have to go to dragging rockers or anything extreme like that, just a little lower than saya stock 2wd, and only when its parked. If it would be possible, id like to have drive height be where it is now (2-3" above stock 4wd)

Old 09-15-2012, 05:52 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is an FTE sponsor, they should be able to tell you if it's possible... It sounds like a good idea to me...

Air Lift Company – Tow and Haul with Safety and Comfort

Old 09-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Andrew James
Senior User
I use to work at a grocery store and a man who was a regular there, has no legs. He drove a big late model extended cab Chevy 4wd. He was very independent, he took a buggy over a powered scooter and filled his buggy to the top. He wold wheel over to his truck, grab various locations on it and yank himself into. The driver seat. Then he'd fold his wheel chair and stuff it in the back. I never saw hand controls in his truck. Guy was real cool.

No real bearing to this conversation but whichever...

Old 09-16-2012, 01:27 PM
95stepside
Elder User

Originally Posted by Andrew James
I use to work at a grocery store and a man who was a regular there, has no legs. He drove a big late model extended cab Chevy 4wd. He was very independent, he took a buggy over a powered scooter and filled his buggy to the top. He wold wheel over to his truck, grab various locations on it and yank himself into. The driver seat. Then he'd fold his wheel chair and stuff it in the back. I never saw hand controls in his truck. Guy was real cool.

No real bearing to this conversation but whichever...
I can climb into truck the way it sits, but I can't imagine its great for my arms and shoulders and whatnot to pull myself around that much.
For reference, when sitting next to my truck in the wheelchair, the seat is at about shoulder level for me, and while that may not seem extreme, its a long way when your looking up at it...

Old 09-16-2012, 01:45 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Where do you live (city/state)
I don't see why you can't lower a 4x4 truck on bags.
Trailer trucks have an auto ride height valve that will consistany put the truck back to proper height so your front alignment isnt off. You can add a dump valve to bypass the height valve and lower the truck, once you're in, flip the switch back and the ride valve will set you back where it belongs.
My truck is a short 4x4 and can still drop it about 3" before it hits the bumpstops in the front. Even then i think I could remove them and drop it til the front diff is nearly hitting the exhaust or crossmember.

I think it's a great idea. Call air ride or wherever and see if they have a set of bags that are capable of 8-10" of travel and 5-7" diam (or whatever diameter the coils are) That will be fully compressed to normal ride up to max flex.
I think that should be plenty. Does your truck have dual shocks. Airbags are kinda bouncy from my experiance, and I think dual shocks would help.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:15 PM
95stepside
Elder User

I'm in northeast iowa, and I've been looking around for shops that I think would be able to do the fab work. I guess I know its possible, anything is possible for the right price, something I'm more curious about is if I could do a little tweaking to a 2wd kit by getting longer bags. I'll have to wait til I get to a computer to research it a bit more. I can't currently drive the truck so I'm in no hurry anyways lol

Old 09-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Hmmmm. A thought might be a good winter project, but a couple of years ago I was researching the crown Vic front suspension, , one piece unit and fits our frame rails. But needs to be boxed on top of the frame. I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit*- found the link
http://www.modularfords.com/f30/4-6-5-4-92-96-a-133887/

Old 09-16-2012, 05:58 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Puddy
Hmmmm. A thought might be a good winter project, but a couple of years ago I was researching the crown Vic front suspension, , one piece unit and fits our frame rails. But needs to be boxed on top of the frame. I'll see if I can find the link.

Edit*- found the link
4.6 or 5.4 in a 92-96 F-150 Flareside

I'm thinking this might not work so well on a 4X4....... Prove me wrong....

Old 09-16-2012, 08:30 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
If he was to make his truck 2wd I'd promote the cv front end.

There are lots of people in the fte forum with older trucks that have used the cv front to lower and improve handling and make their trucks awesome.

But doubtful it will work for a 4wd.
But if you wanted a sweet lowered truck, that's the route to go.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
or i guess maybe some how taking this....

yes the crown vic would eliminate 4x4, sad but true.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:19 AM
garthneddy
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Id say its very doable and shouldnt be that difficult. If im understanding you correctly then you want it at stock height while driving and ONLY lowered for getting in and out. All you would need to do is fabricate the brackets that hold the bags in place of the coils and get the correct size and load bag. Let all the air out when getting out and when you get back in pump it up to the p.s.i. that will yeild a stock height.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 PM
95stepside
Elder User

Originally Posted by garthneddy
Id say its very doable and shouldnt be that difficult. If im understanding you correctly then you want it at stock height while driving and ONLY lowered for getting in and out. All you would need to do is fabricate the brackets that hold the bags in place of the coils and get the correct size and load bag. Let all the air out when getting out and when you get back in pump it up to the p.s.i. that will yeild a stock height.
Yes, same drive height, just lower for easy loading/unloading. My DD is a subaru outback wagon and it is about the perfect height for me, if I can get close to that, i'd be happy...

Quick Reply: bagged 4wd