1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I reckon our wives should be grateful for this interest/hobby/obsession....seriously (well, sort of)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:48 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I reckon our wives should be grateful for this interest/hobby/obsession....seriously (well, sort of)

Talking with my mechanic friend Dave today and he told me a funny story I thought might interest you blokes.

He was selling a 68 Corvette to a man who had his wife with him. Dave commented to her that she looked very happy. She laughed it off, and he said you really do look extremely happy.

She said I am a psychiatrist and it's a fact that men over 45 are generally bored in their marriage, they might not have the dreams they had when younger, they are not so fit and active, they might not think of their wife as the young beauty they married anymore. They start to look around for something and often end up with some woman 20 years younger than them.

She said it is a proven fact that men with a hobby are happier and much less likely to play around with another woman. That was why she was very happy for her husband to be getting a toy, a hobby to keep him happy and their marriage happy.

SO WE ARE REALLY DOING ALL THIS CAR STUFF FOR THEM!

Just goes to show how much they mean to us that we would put ourselves through all this hard work and hanging out in the shed and going to car shows and swap meets just to make them happy.

Kind of makes you feel proud doesn't it, stand up straight, put your shoulders back, head up, and for a moment consider, yes I am doing a good and selfless thing here, it is not just for me, I'm doing this for my family.

Cheers
Neville

Old 09-15-2012, 07:25 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is trading in your younger wife for an older vehicle the same? - I'm much happier know

Old 09-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Crazymug13
Freshman User
I told my wife all about this post and then sat back on the couch with a satisfied grin ready to let the accolades and brownie points roll in...right away she looks at me and says:

"You know, you never could take the traditional route, could you? It's not too late, you could probably sell that truck and there are probably still some younger women out there that would interest you."

It's a good thing I know she loves me and the truck or I would have been hurt for the few moments it took her to smile and wink at me...wait, she did smile and wink, right??

Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Dick, it's kinda the same I guess, but different, probably, but i'm glad you are happy mate,
and Crazy, It's funny, my wife wasn't that impressed when i told her about it either. I don't understand it. LOL

Old 09-15-2012, 02:11 PM
reg1952
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As much money as we put into our trucks there are still cheaper then a girlfriends.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Aus56
Elder User
Hello fellas,

In light of some of the deep and meaningful responses to various threads I have enjoyed here I had hoped to get into some interesting psychological discussion about wives, our hobby, the art of deep and meaningful responses and other such things. Ah well

Cheers
Neville

Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 AM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi this is Rusty's wife lol He shared this thread with me...just remember, A weekend at the 'Car show', is earned by completing the 'Honey Do' list!

Old 09-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Hello Rusty's wife,

good to hear from you. Funnily enough, my wife mentioned something along the lines of mowing the yard and other related things too. A bit of rolling her eyes and "I'm glad you are doing this for the family dear".

Cheers
Neville

Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Well shoot, my wife should have a grin from ear to ear then.....lol

Actually she is pretty good about letting me play with my trucks. She does draw the line now and then. I sent her a picture yesterday of a 1961 Dodge D600 semi tractor and told here that I won it in a silent auction, and that I thought at $2500 it was a steal......lol
She wasn't as amused about it as I was. I let her off the hook a couple hours later.....all in good fun.

Bobby

Old 09-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I went to a car show yesterday. My wife said to me it was time I got out of my cage ...lol. It was a great day and there were lots of cars and trucks, 780 were registered in the show.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Hello Bobby,

that's a good one, I reckon payback could be coming though!
All the best
Neville

Old 09-16-2012, 05:46 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
LOL...yeah, she'll get me back

Just remember, a happy woman is a happy home

Old 09-16-2012, 05:47 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Hello Mervy,
good to hear from you, that sounds like a great show, 780 vehicles. Sounds like a great wife too, a real keeper.

That black pickup looks Beautiful, and what is that tough looking monster at the bottom of the pics?

Cheers
Neville

Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Just remember, a happy woman is a happy home

(I don't know how to paste previous comments in that blue caper)

Yes Bobby,
you hit the nail on the head there, I remember a particular occasion some years back when I was pigheaded about buying something (not a car) and my wife was dead against it. I did it and it was not a happy place for some time, it didn't help that she was right.

I learned then that if the wife isn't in agreement, don't do it. (Well I usually stick to that rule) Actually it was my wife that told me to go and buy a nice car, I'd been dreaming for years about a good car but always seemed to buy something for the family.

I found it hard to justify spending a lot of money on a toy for me especially as all the cars I wanted as a kid and could have bought over the years cheaply now cost a fortune because all the old coots like me are chasing them.
Is this like second childhood or simply a mature bloke finally realising his dreams.

Cheers
Neville

Old 09-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Aus56
Hello Mervy,
good to hear from you, that sounds like a great show, 780 vehicles. Sounds like a great wife too, a real keeper.

That black pickup looks Beautiful, and what is that tough looking monster at the bottom of the pics?

Cheers
Neville
That one was the hit of the show. it's a Peterbuit tractor. An amazing piece of machinery. I'm definitly not a ratrod type but that was really impressive.

Quick Reply: I reckon our wives should be grateful for this interest/hobby/obsession....seriously (well, sort of)