1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! DOME LIGHT WIRE 2012 F250 Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 AM
HADESWRAITH
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!!! DOME LIGHT WIRE 2012 F250 Super Duty

Hey Guys, need some help. I got a 2012 F250 Super Duty that I installed Lighted running boards on a few weeks ago. When I installed them I connected them to what I thought was the dome light wire on the passenger side door trim. The wire is Gray with a Purple Stripe. Everyone online said this was the Dome light wire... well I last night I installed some strobes on my truck and noticed that the running board lights were not working (strobes have nothing to do with this issue, just noticed during project). I figured it overloaded the fuse at some point in the last few weeks, or something got wet. i was down in Baton rouge during Isaac and figure maybe I got a short. I checked all the wire connections to the running board lights, and they all look ok. Checked all the wires for running boards... they are ok as well. I checked the fuse in the passenger compartment and according to my manual, fuse #12 = interior lighting and running boards..... this fuse is good, I even swapped it out and still nothing. Sooooo, I pulled up the passenger side door panel and checked the connection where I spliced into the gray/purple wire.. looks good. I opened the door, my mirror lights come on... so I tested the gray/purple wire to see if it was hot as well...NOTHING.... the side view mirrors shut off with a delay like they should... buit no dome light power at all... So my question is this... IS THAT GRAY WIRE WITH THE PURPLE STRIPE UNDER THE PASSENGER SIDE FLOOR DOOR TRIM REALLY THE "RUNNING BOARD DOME LIGHT" WIRE OR IS IT SOMETHING ELSE... IS THERE ANOTHER FUSE I SHOULD CHECK??

Old 09-12-2012, 05:09 PM
HADESWRAITH
New User
OK, maybe that was too complicated.... Does anyone know where the Dome Light Relay is located in a 2012 Ford F-250 Super Duty?

Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
There may be a headliner wiring diagram floating around the 6.7 forum (for cab lights). I'll take a look and see if anything crops up. Will report back.

So far, only an unanswered thread asking a similar question:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ride-help.html

I know there's a wiring diagram floating around the 6.7 forum somewhere.

Check this thread out, this may help:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ab-lights.html

This post is a good indication of how the voices in my head work together....

Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM
HADESWRAITH
New User
Thumbs up More than one way to skin a cat....

Thanks for the Post SilverBullet... I eneded up just disconnecting from the Gray/purple wire and rewired to the Yellow/Green tail light wire. So now when I open a door, or hit the keyless entry unlock button, my running board lights come on with all of them.... Still do not have any dome or Cargo lights, but I guess one day I will take it to the dealer to fix. still under warranty... It has to be a relay between the fuse and lights somewhere.. I just don't know where the relay is located.... But for now I am good. The map lights still work, so if I need inside lights I still got'm.

Thanks Again !!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:09 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
No problem, welcome to FTE by the way!

Old 04-06-2013, 12:34 PM
TerraTug
New User
Originally Posted by HADESWRAITH
Hey Guys, need some help. I got a 2012 F250 Super Duty that I installed Lighted running boards on a few weeks ago. When I installed them I connected them to what I thought was the dome light wire on the passenger side door trim. The wire is Gray with a Purple Stripe. Everyone online said this was the Dome light wire... well I last night I installed some strobes on my truck and noticed that the running board lights were not working (strobes have nothing to do with this issue, just noticed during project). I figured it overloaded the fuse at some point in the last few weeks, or something got wet. i was down in Baton rouge during Isaac and figure maybe I got a short. I checked all the wire connections to the running board lights, and they all look ok. Checked all the wires for running boards... they are ok as well. I checked the fuse in the passenger compartment and according to my manual, fuse #12 = interior lighting and running boards..... this fuse is good, I even swapped it out and still nothing. Sooooo, I pulled up the passenger side door panel and checked the connection where I spliced into the gray/purple wire.. looks good. I opened the door, my mirror lights come on... so I tested the gray/purple wire to see if it was hot as well...NOTHING.... the side view mirrors shut off with a delay like they should... buit no dome light power at all... So my question is this... IS THAT GRAY WIRE WITH THE PURPLE STRIPE UNDER THE PASSENGER SIDE FLOOR DOOR TRIM REALLY THE "RUNNING BOARD DOME LIGHT" WIRE OR IS IT SOMETHING ELSE... IS THERE ANOTHER FUSE I SHOULD CHECK??
So, I did the same thing. Guess I should have used a relay and only run the lead off the Gray/Purple wire.

Did you ever get your interior/cargo lights working again? If so, what was the problem? I'm assuming there is a relay somewhere that was overloaded as some of the lights still work (map lights) with their individual manual switch, just not when they should all be activated such as by opening the door or unlocking the truck with the remote. And, also, the exterior (less the cargo lights) still light up with the lock/unlock, so the circuit is also connected to the interior dash light switch. I've dug through the list of fuses and relays and nothing is clearly indicated. I see where the Gray/purple runs into both fuse box under the hood and also in the passenger kick panel but haven't gotten to the point of trying to follow the leads to the exact fuse/relay socket cause its really tight and that's going to be NO fun.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 AM
TerraTug
New User
I posted a solution to this problem in another thread with a title i hope to be easy to find if searched for here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13115221