1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Adjustable Radius Arm Bushing + Camber Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 PM
nonrev321
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adjustable Radius Arm Bushing + Camber Bushing

Hello,

Have researched the posts on here - Radius Arms- and it appears they make an adjustable radius arm bushing. Heres what I'm thinking (and my thinking my be messed up here).

I was going to put in Camber Bushing with a +2 3/8 degrees of adjustment. If I install Adjustable Radius Arm Bushings can they be used to do a rough in alignment than going with a lower range Camber Bushing, say +1 degree, that be used to fine tune in the alignment?

Also I noted that there were alot of alignment ranges available for Camber Bushings. Some had only positive degree adjustment range but some had negative and positive ranges. Assuming that the idea above is bunk and that I'll be using 33 or 34 in tires, and that the truck is not lifted, what is the best range I should use for the Camber Bushing? Is 2 3/8 degrees too much? Should I use a Camber bushing with both positive and negative adjustment ranges?

Rgds

nonrev

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Yaga1973
Elder User - What???

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really have anything to add regarding the adjustable bushings, but have you checked for clearance for tires that big on a stock, non-lifted truck?

It would also be helpful if you listed what vehicle you are working on as well. You would probably get more help that way.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:37 PM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The camber bushings are both negetive or positive depending on how they are installed (i.e. installed with arrow or slot facing in or out).

Since your going to have an alignment done - The best bushing to use is a "0" that way the alignment shop can easily figure out what the correct bushing should be without having to resort to math (adding or subtracting the current camber bushing from the readings on the alignment machine to determine the correct adjustment bushing to install). Less math = less mistakes.

The radius arm bushings are used for Caster adjusment.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:06 PM
nonrev321
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hello CB,

Vehicle: 1985 F-250, 460ci, Dana 44HD IFS, 4WD, 8600GVWR

Thanks for the input but I'm not sure I understand... re: "0" bushing. The link below goes to the Rock Auto page for Camber Bushings for the vehicle I'm having rebuild. The 4WD bushings are in the bottom half of the page

1985 FORD F-250 Caster / Camber Bushing

There is only one "0" out of all listed. I'm wondering if the types that have equal positive and negative ranges ( say +1.25/-1.25 ) would be the "0" if they were set in midrange? If I put in the dedicated "0" how difficult would it be to have those taken out and another put in?

Rgr on the Caster. Do you think this is a good idea to have an adjustable bushing so there is some Caster adjustment. From what I've read there isn't any caster adjustment on this model otherwise.

Rgds
nonrev
nonrev

Old 09-08-2012, 07:27 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I reccomend the standard, non adjustable radius arm bushings. You can correct caster With the bushings on the upper BJ's.
I did alignments for a living for 25 years or more and have done countless caster/camber corrections on TTB/TIB F series trucks. Here's the drill... shake down the front end for loose ball joints, tie rods, etc. When all is good, hook up to the alignment machine and see what the caster and camber are. If out of spec, unhokk the machine, pull the wheels, then you remove the old bushing, see what it is and calculate what bushing you need to correct caster and camber. Install new bushings, hook up to machine and set the toe. I HATE those adjustable bushings. It is impossible to remove them without mangling them. You dont install them then turn them until the camber is right, you do the math and install them in the correct orientation.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Yes, let the alignment guy worry about the bushings. Just make sure you coat everything with anti-seize so it makes it easier for him to get them out and adjust them.

You should not need anything special unless you are trying to lift it a with a spacer or something. A little over a 1 inch is about the limit though.