Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2012, 03:26 PM
New User

mgfuns is starting off with a positive reputation.
F250 Brake Bleeding ???

Hi Everyone...

92 F250 w. 351W. Finally got my air pump all sorted out.

A little while ago I got in the truck only to have the brake pedal fall to the floor. Went underneith in the back and noticed just how badly corroded my lines had become.

This truck is a firewood hauler and not my DD by a long shot so it gets back burnered frequently when it needs things. A week later I got new lines and installed them in the back.

A week later I got a pump tank type bleeder machine from a friend. I proceeded to pump to 10 psi and bleed the brakes this weekend, working the back first (where the line was broken) and then the front.

Still getting quite a bit of squish. If the lineswere open for a while does that just mean that a lot of air probably got in? How long do I need to bleed for when it seems like just fluid is coming through?

If bleeding doesn't fix anything what's the next step? The master cylinder?? Everything worked well before this .

Thanks,

Mike
Old 08-27-2012, 04:04 PM
New User

blue95f250460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
you likely still have air in the lines. Could also be a bad brake booster, check valve or master cylinder. Did you flush out the old lines too? if not buy a couple bottles of fluid and do that as well.

You need to bleed the lines until you no longer see bubbles coming out, depending on the length of the line it can take a bit of time.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
You also have to bleed the ABS valve. The order is: RR, LR, ABS, RF, LF.

Does the pedal slowly sink to the floor, or is it just mushy?

Did you adjust the rear shoes correctly?

"If you want to live in a country that manufactures things, you need to buy things that your country manufactures." - Mike Rowe
Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM
New User

mgfuns is starting off with a positive reputation.
The pedal basically slowly sinks to the floor and then once you shut the truck off you can basically pump it back up.

I probably only ran about 12 oz of fluid out...maybe even less.

I have plenty of brake fluid it's just I ran them all and got pretty decent looking fluid coming out and not a lot of air after several seconds each. I realize now that this probably doesn't mean much of anything. So in effect I didn't really "flush" anything. I guess I should.

Did not know re ABS bleeder valve. And I also didn't do anything with the shoes.

I apologize if a lot of this stuff is basic knowledge.

Thanks

Mike
Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks