Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head-scratcher Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Lee_R
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head-scratcher Starting Problem

Hi gang. I'll get this out of the way first, so we can get down to business:

NEWBIE ALERT!! Fresh meat, everybody point, laugh, and make fun of the new guy!!

Okay - I've done the "search" (this ain't my first dance, yanno), but either there's nothing on my specific problem or I just missed it. Anyway, here's the deal:

1992 F-150 4X4, manual tranny, 302 cid (5.0L for you young kids), no crankee, no startee.

With my somewhat limited resources, I've discovered that I've got 12v to one side of the solenoid but it never gets to the other. I also never get any voltage to the top post, either. Now, I'm guessing that it boils down to one of two places - ignition switch, or clutch interlock. Problem is, in all that spaghetti under the dash I can't tell which wire's which, so I can start tracing voltage.

I've got the underside of the dash pulled (well duh, otherwise how'd I know it was spaghetti), and looking straight up as you're laying on the floorboard, there's a grey, four-pin connector that's "attached" to a thin metal mount. One side of it "looks" to go up into the steering column, the other side disappears into a huge bundle. One side looks to have a red/black wire, a light blue wire, a black wire, and...well, I really can't tell the other color.

Is this the connector I need to be working with, or is there another one somewhere else? Because somehow, four wires off the ignition switch just don't strike me as right.

Thanks!
Lee

Old 08-26-2012, 04:09 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Can you jump the solenoid? Screw driver should do it key to be on

Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Lee_R
New User
Thanks for answering, Puddy. I was just about to edit my original post to include the ole' "jump the solenoid switch" trick. I can pull the signal wire from the ignition switch (the top, "push-on" connection, right?) and jump 12V from the "high" side of the relay to that small, push-on connection, and the starter works. That was how I pretty much narrowed it down to where I did.

EDIT: I guess I implied it in my original post, but when I jump in and stick the key in and turn to "On", everybody plays together really well - key reminder goes "ding-ding-ding", lights come on, gauges all move, "Check Engine" light is glaringly annoying... But when you turn it to "Start", nothing happens. Not even the good old solenoid stutter. Now, if anybody's ever had a solenoid go "that" dead without any kind of warning before-hand (aka, solenoid stutter), I'd certainly love to hear about it.

Last edited by Lee_R; 08-26-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Additional info - description of problem
Old 08-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Lee_R
New User
SCORE! Okay, I found Ye Olde (AWOL) Haynes manual and started running through the wiring. Ended up at the clutch interlock switch (mainly because I did NOT want to crawl into the steering column unless I absolutely had to - did that on my 88 Bronco II and never "did" get it back together). Grounded the negative lead of my VOM, and started poking away nilly-*****. Not really - knew I was looking for the red/lt blue line so I started there. First one had juice when I turned the key to "Start"; second one was dead as a doornail. Messed around with the clutch interlock, trying to get the harness undone (I failed - d$&^ Ford connectors!), took a break to regroup and look over the diagrams again, and noticed that the yellow/purple line connected to the red/lt blue, so I thought I'd give that one a try. I noticed that the meter "did" jump, but I was too shocked at hearing the truck turn over and start. Unplugged the VOM and tried again - it started. Sewed everything up, dropped the hood, and tried it one more time "just to be sure" - again, it started.

I still don't know "what" was wrong, but I know what the problem was (clutch interlock switch, or bad connection on the clutch interlock switch).

Thanks!
Lee

Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let me know what you find out. I've got a truck that does the same thing only it a '96.
And if I figure it out first I'll let you know.

Edit: oops. Guess I didn't refresh soon enough. Lol

Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Jacobs Daddy
Junior User
Mine does the same thing however its an automatic and an 89. So now I'm thinking (if I read your post right) neutral safety switch? I put a push button in mine until I could fiquire it out so I didn't have to pop the hood if it was raining.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Lee_R
New User
Steve - Oops! Seriously though, don't feel bad. I've lost count of how many forums I'm on, and I *still* do that! Crawl down in the floorboard and check out that interlock. Let me know how it comes out, and if that doesn't do it then maybe we can figure out what your '96's major malfunction is.

Jacobs Daddy - Yeah, I'm pretty sure on an a/t it would be the neutral safety switch. I had to do the same push-button thing on my '73 Pinto, years ago. That was "after" the ignition switch screwed up and you could turn it without using the key.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Puddy
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Excellent! glad you have it resolved!