Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Electrical problems after heavy rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Andy's Beast
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical problems after heavy rain

I have had a 2000 f250 crew cab for little over a year now. Two previous times, after heavy rains, the cabin light would blink on and i would get a buzzing sound under the dash. I would solve the annoying buzzing sound by opening and closing the door. After a few times, it would work, but my clock and radio could go on without the key in the on position. The next time i used it, no problems... so i put that worry in the back of my mind.

This morning it rained really heavy, sideways type of rain. I opened the door and noticed a small puddle on the vinyl floors right where my left foot goes. OH,oh i thought, but the truck turned over and ran like normal. I picked up a heavy load of hickory in the bed and hopped back in and noticed my speedometer jumping from 0- 30 when I was going about 35. The OD light was blinking, but the transmission shifted normally. I got up to about 1700 rpm and the speedo was barely jumping at 53-55. I make another stop to unload the wood and go back home and i get an intermittent buzzing sound on the way home and no speedo. OD light would start blinking before i hit 2nd gear. I also noticed the odometer not working (speedo related, right?)

I got home and took the fuse relay cover off and found that if I would remove the #1 relay "plug" (black square box 5 prongs) that dreaded buzzing sound would go away, checked it out , plugged it back in, buzzing back on. The clock light still stays on and radio will turn on without the key.

I think that water obviously leaked in over something electrical and i have been searching this and other forms for a couple of hours. What kind of advice can you guys give me to help fix this issue? I am within a couple of weeks of saving up enough to buy the gauges, exhaust and possible DP Tuner and now this happens!

That's my issue in a nutshell, hope you guys can help!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:52 PM
cutlass
Elder User
I have a feeling that you may have a windshield that is leaking at the seam somewhere, possibly where the glass meets the firewall. The water could be leaking inside on the wiring harness that's tucked in behind the dash or something else up underneath the dash.

Get a garden hose and soak the windshield all over for a while and then get inside up underneath the dash with a good flashlight and look all over. You might even take off the plastic kick panel next to your left foot underneath the dash and see if water is leaking down the side there.

Good luck!

Drake

Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Andy's Beast
Senior User
Update

So i went outside for a breath of fresh air and heard the radio on my truck. wtf? Go to open the door and the doors are locked...and i don't remember locking them. ok, turn off the radio and decide to pop the hood because i hear a real light clicking/ticking/sounds like a mouse chewing on something sound. I opened the hood and i hear the clicking sound coming from right around the the back or bottom of the driver side headlight. Sounds like a switch turning on and off. I turn the headlights on and the sound lessens, but it's still there. i turn the lights off and the clicking increases. My gut instinct was that this is no good. I disconnect both negative terminals and will take a look more closely tomorrow night.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Andy's Beast
Senior User
Originally Posted by cutlass
I have a feeling that you may have a windshield that is leaking at the seam somewhere, possibly where the glass meets the firewall. The water could be leaking inside on the wiring harness that's tucked in behind the dash or something else up underneath the dash.

Get a garden hose and soak the windshield all over for a while and then get inside up underneath the dash with a good flashlight and look all over. You might even take off the plastic kick panel next to your left foot underneath the dash and see if water is leaking down the side there.

Good luck!

Drake
I'll definitely try that. I figure try the cost free methods first before I put the Visa to work.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Better than had horn stay ON until unplug batteries.

Have AC blower running leave you dead batteries in 8 hours later.

Random it start itself running until it ran out of fuel.

Transmission won't go above 10 mph it just went in neutral.

We had 2 superdutys with those issues we just buy gorilla duct tape on top windshield to cab roof. No more water get in electric and no more weird stuff.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:00 AM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Gem Module behind the Fuse holder has gotten wet. Windshield is leaking.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:25 AM
Calli
Senior User

I had similar issues on my 'e99 350. Used battery disconnects for a while. Finally fixed by replacing drivers side power window motor. Rain would get into motor and create all kinds of weird stuff.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Andy's Beast
Senior User
Originally Posted by Deluxe06
Gem Module behind the Fuse holder has gotten wet. Windshield is leaking.
I am leaning towards a GEM Module too. How do you go about diagnosing if it is bad? Electric gremlins give me absolute nightmare because its tough to find a good mechanic who wants to fix problems, rather than replace parts. Is there anyone in southern Wisconsin that has an AE and would be willing to help use it's diagnostic capabilities?

Silly question time, if the GEM got wet, should i take it out to inspect it? Is there anything that would be evident as far as good or bad? It probably can't be a simple as drying it out.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Andy's Beast
Senior User
Originally Posted by Milwaukee1979F150
Better than had horn stay ON until unplug batteries.

Have AC blower running leave you dead batteries in 8 hours later.

Random it start itself running until it ran out of fuel.

Transmission won't go above 10 mph it just went in neutral.

We had 2 superdutys with those issues we just buy gorilla duct tape on top windshield to cab roof. No more water get in electric and no more weird stuff.

How long did it take to dry out? I am thinking of resealing the windshield.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy's Beast

there are threads about leaking windshields that get the gem wet and what to do about it. Not 100% sure so I will not give 'advice'.....

Before resealing the windshield, find out if and where it is leaking.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dont think about it... DO IT!
A tube of silly cone is only a couple dollars... but good luck finding a for sure good gem.
Lost my speedo after a crazy storm and that spooked me enough to cake on the silly cone like icing on a wedding cake.

No more weird electrical issues!

Xtof

Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Milwaukee1979F150
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Andy's Beast

1-2 days if too much water then 3-4 days.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Andy's Beast
Senior User
Good news! Got into the truck and didn't have any problems, except for the radio being able to be turned on without a key. Took a quick peak at the windshield and rubber seals. Rubber seals are cracked and in order to the job right, it's going to take a while to remove all the trim and properly clean and caulk.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Hawk180
Senior User
It would probably pay off in the long run to just go to a good glass shop. Scraping and globing silicone will only go so far. At least if you are willing to pay for a removal, reseal and reinstall of the windshield, you'll come away with the peace of mind of knowing it is done right. Also comes with a warranty so that in six months, if it starts leaking again, someone else gets to fix it.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Scottyd99f-250
New User
Heavy rain electric problems

I had the same issue. I got a 99 f250 5.4. Every time it rained hard the truck would freak out. The transmission would rev up high and shift hard. The speedo would bounce all over the place. My aftermarket radio would stay on after key is off. And the dome light would short out but be on with door closed and make that buzzing sound on the fuse box. I figured it out. The fuse box gets water logged or water damage (grounded) since u saw water on your floor mat. Unhook the negative terminal on battery and put a fan on the fuse box under the dash for 24 to 48 hours and put silicone on every window and seal, I put flex shot clear silicone on everything even some cracks on the roof. Put it on the windshield seal and on the cover for your sprayer washers all the way across and rear window and 3rd brake light. Blow some compressed air in your passenger transmission harness, unplug it first, mine had water in it. Maybe put some air on the fuse box to. I did all that and it hasn't failed me yet. A fuse box is about 400$ on ebay. Ouch just imagine how much it is at the dealer. Hope this helps everyone. It helped me

Quick Reply: Electrical problems after heavy rain