Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Heated and Cooled seats???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 PM
iknfixit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had problems with mine turned on for about 15 min and shutting off. Had to turn off truck and recrank then works again. Did a couple hours research on T.E.D. last night and read biggest problem was filter stopped up and causing same issues I am having with over limit and shut off. New foam seat and still cuts off. I drive a lot and in truck sometimes 10 hours a day. Leather upholstery backing/ padding has apparently compacted and worn out in center of seat bottom. comparing to passenger seat which feels about 3/4 in thick, drivers seat center panel feels like only thickness of leather left so I am sitting almost directly on tubes and shutting them off blocking air flow. Caught it just before warranty end and dealer has been super in helping me resolve

Old 03-30-2013, 12:15 PM
Mysterman68
Elder User
The only problem you might have is your chicken skin will get all wrinkled up.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:43 PM
groucho73
New User
How long do any of your heated/cooled seats take to heat up? Mine seen to take forever, or maybe they don't heat at all and its just my body heating them up. I'm not sure how they are supposed to really work.
I hear a fan running, but I am puzzled.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Little General
Mountain Pass
This is my first set of combo ( heat/ cool ) and the they do not get very hot in my opinion. Better than nothing but no where good as GM or AUDI. The last Ford truck I had that had good heated seats was a 2001 KR and 2004 KR. All my Super Duty seats were not very good.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:38 PM
TCAS007
Senior User
They take long to hear up. Once they are warm it feels fine.
My wife's seats in the Focus hear up faster and so do my Lincoln ones.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:26 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by groucho73
I hear a fan running, but I am puzzled.
My truck does this every now and then.

The fan should not be running when the seats are in heat mode.

Turn the heat off, wait about 30 seconds and try them again.

If the fan comes on.... something is wrong.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 PM
iknfixit
New User
Air circulation

Originally Posted by KJ Smith
My truck does this every now and then.

The fan should not be running when the seats are in heat mode.

Turn the heat off, wait about 30 seconds and try them again.

If the fan comes on.... something is wrong.
Fan has got to run. These heat by air circulation in heat and cool mode. No heatng pad if I can figure out how to post a pic of the system you will see what I mean. My passenger seat distributes pretty good and warms well. Driver side concentrated in center of seat and you can't leave it on for long till it burns and you have to turn it down on low.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:44 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by iknfixit
Fan has got to run.
I have a 2013 Platinum. The fan does not run when in the heat mode.

If the fan is running, it is a problem with MFT turning the cooled seat on instead of the heated seat.

Easy enough to check.

Go outside, start the truck, turn the main HVAC controls off, turn the heated seat on and wait.

You should feel heat in a couple of minutes.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 AM
iknfixit
New User
Originally Posted by KJ Smith
I have a 2013 Platinum. The fan does not run when in the heat mode.

If the fan is running, it is a problem with MFT turning the cooled seat on instead of the heated seat.

Easy enough to check.

Go outside, start the truck, turn the main HVAC controls off, turn the heated seat on and wait.

You should feel heat in a couple of minutes.
Out of curiosity I tried mine this morning. Turned on both seats and no fan. It's lows 30s here this morning. Do you think they work like the auto temp control and don't come on until heat in the seat is sufficient to come on and not frost the seat lol. After about 3 to 5 min I felt it blowing in the seat and back

Old 03-11-2014, 08:35 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
where exactly is the fan located? Can hear it running, but not sure where.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 PM
iknfixit
New User
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
where exactly is the fan located? Can hear it running, but not sure where.
Center bottom of seat. Black and 3 inches in dia with white filter in center

Old 04-01-2014, 12:57 PM
groucho73
New User
Heated/Cooled seats Update

Update: I took my truck into the dealer because I didn't think my heated seats were working. Just to reiterate, in heat mode, my driver seat fan turned on and my passenger seat fan did not. They found loose wiring problems in which fixed both seats. They also explained to me exactly how they operate. In heat mode there is an electronic element that runs through the seat to heat them. The fan noise which I heard was not supposed to come on. In cool mode, the fan IS supposed to come on which pulls air from the duct work plenum. Whatever air is in the plenum will blow through the holes in the seats, so in seat cool mode it will work best if you also have the air conditioning on to give the seats cool air.
Now with my seats working properly they heated up in about a minute or two. After about 5 minutes they were VERY warm and cozy!!
I am wondering about those of you who are saying that your seats don't get that warm and/or take a long time to get warm are having the same or similar issue as I had. I work in HVAC, so I have a very good understanding of ducting and venting and this could be what is happening. When you have the heat for the vents, floor, defrost, etc. turned on and you turn on the heated seats, the seat fan,(which is not supposed to go on), is turning on and pulling heat from the duct work plenum and is eventually heating your seats, but not as how it was designed to work. Now, even if your seat fan is not turning on when you have the seat heat mode selected, the blower for the venting system is pumping up the duct work system/plenums up with warm air, the seat is also connected to the plenum via duct work, therefore the seat still can be getting some warm air supplied to it but it would be a very very small amount which could still somewhat warm it.

Well I hope I explained that well enough for all to understand.

Those of you who don't think their seats get that warm and/or take a long time, don't settle for they just aren't that good, take your trucks back to the dealer. I don't think they are working properly!

Groucho73

Oh, FYI after I got my truck back fixed, I tested the heat mode for the seats with the HVAC controls,(venting system), all turned off.

Last edited by groucho73; 04-01-2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: FYI
Old 04-01-2014, 03:41 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
In cool mode, the fan IS supposed to come on which pulls air from the duct work plenum. Whatever air is in the plenum will blow through the holes in the seats, so in seat cool mode it will work best if you also have the air conditioning on to give the seats cool air.

Oh, FYI after I got my truck back fixed, I tested the heat mode for the seats with the HVAC controls,(venting system), all turned off.
The cooled seats do not require the main a/c to work.

Check them the same way as you did the heat.

Start the truck, turn the main controls off and the cooled seat on.

Sit there a couple of minutes and you will see.

Heat/cooled seats are idependent of the cab HVAC.

Good to hear you got the heated seats fixed.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:11 PM
k9education
Senior User
Update: I took my truck into the dealer because I didn't think my heated seats were working. Just to reiterate, in heat mode, my driver seat fan turned on and my passenger seat fan did not. They found loose wiring problems in which fixed both seats. They also explained to me exactly how they operate. In heat mode there is an electronic element that runs through the seat to heat them. The fan noise which I heard was not supposed to come on. In cool mode, the fan IS supposed to come on which pulls air from the duct work plenum. Whatever air is in the plenum will blow through the holes in the seats, so in seat cool mode it will work best if you also have the air conditioning on to give the seats cool air.
Now with my seats working properly they heated up in about a minute or two. After about 5 minutes they were VERY warm and cozy!!
I am wondering about those of you who are saying that your seats don't get that warm and/or take a long time to get warm are having the same or similar issue as I had. I work in HVAC, so I have a very good understanding of ducting and venting and this could be what is happening. When you have the heat for the vents, floor, defrost, etc. turned on and you turn on the heated seats, the seat fan,(which is not supposed to go on), is turning on and pulling heat from the duct work plenum and is eventually heating your seats, but not as how it was designed to work. Now, even if your seat fan is not turning on when you have the seat heat mode selected, the blower for the venting system is pumping up the duct work system/plenums up with warm air, the seat is also connected to the plenum via duct work, therefore the seat still can be getting some warm air supplied to it but it would be a very very small amount which could still somewhat warm it.

Well I hope I explained that well enough for all to understand.

Those of you who don't think their seats get that warm and/or take a long time, don't settle for they just aren't that good, take your trucks back to the dealer. I don't think they are working properly!

Groucho73

I have the service manual here for the '10-'11 Expedition/Navigator which uses the same system as the F150 as far as I know. The only element in the seats are the 4 TEDs, which perform both heating and cooling functions. The fan is designed to operate on both heat and cool modes in vehicles that have heated/cooled seats.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:57 PM
gspears
New User
My "cooled" seat I thought worked when I first got the vehicle, but now it seems to turn on the heat instead of the cool when I push the button. I could really use the cooled seats as it's supposed to hit 120 this week in Phoenix.

Any advice?