Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Junior User

soco is starting off with a positive reputation.
390 timing

Just did a rewire, new ignition, condenser, plugs/wires, etc, and somehow my timing got all jacked up. I just reset it to 10* ... It cranks right up and runs smooth, but it seems to not have the power it did before. Any suggestions for setting the timing so it's more aggressive? It has an Edelbrock carb/intake, but stock exhaust manifold and some crappy mufflers.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Postmaster

willowbilly3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
"Somehow the timing got all jacked up"? How does that happen do you suppose? You need a timing light.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Junior User

Uh, yea, I have a timing light. Was asking for suggestions on a good setting. Would 12* be better?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Posting Guru

elgemcdlf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Throw the timing light on the bench. Loosen the distributor just enough to be able to move it. Fire the beast up. Advance the timing, test with acceleration. Keep advancing until acceleration drops off a bit. Now let it warm up. Turn it off. Will it start or does it drag like a dead battery? Drag - yes back it off just a hair. Try to start it. Repeat until it starts ok when hot. You now have the timing set. You can check it with a light just to make you feel better.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Postmaster

Opossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to allOpossum is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgemcdlf View Post
Throw the timing light on the bench. Loosen the distributor just enough to be able to move it. Fire the beast up. Advance the timing, test with acceleration. Keep advancing until acceleration drops off a bit. Now let it warm up. Turn it off. Will it start or does it drag like a dead battery? Drag - yes back it off just a hair. Try to start it. Repeat until it starts ok when hot. You now have the timing set. You can check it with a light just to make you feel better.
^^Good stuff^^

Soco I could write a book on setting timing, the question is how involved you want to get, otherwise the above is a good start.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Junior User

I'm going to give that a go tomorrow. Thx all!
Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Postmaster

MIKES 68 F100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.MIKES 68 F100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
if truck ran fine before new cap,rotor,plugs and wires then runs poor , i'd say you either have some wires mixed up or one wire is not 100% connected to cap or plug .
if you didn't touch dizzy hold down there's no way timing changed .
home ported heads/Flotech headers
Edelbrock performer intake /Holley 750
22 Gallon mustang gas tank Mod
Old 08-14-2012, 04:38 PM
New User

Wildcat455 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKES 68 F100 View Post
if truck ran fine before new cap,rotor,plugs and wires then runs poor , i'd say you either have some wires mixed up or one wire is not 100% connected to cap or plug .
if you didn't touch dizzy hold down there's no way timing changed .

Could be...

When the OP says "Module", do you think he replaced the points? Perhaps his dwell is off...

Just throwing it out there. Not sure if he is running a converted ignition or not, but I assume not because he replaced a condenser...

Either way, if he didn't set his points properly, and gapped his plugs incorrectly...

Just sayin... For what he posted, his dwell and plug gap could be off enough to give weak spark, affect performance, and alter timing...
Old 08-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Senior User

kenny nunez is starting off with a positive reputation.
na na na na na
Thumbs up running bad

times 2 Wildcat, You cannot beat a dwell meter for getting the points right.
67 Ford XL 32 valve t45
06 Mountaineer 24 valve. 04 Sport Trac 4.0
10 F150 /24 valve. 99Lightning,8k original miles
Old 08-14-2012, 05:25 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny nunez View Post
times 2 Wildcat, You cannot beat a dwell meter for getting the points right.
Yeah, kenny, but I actually am more concerned if the OP even gapped the points going in... Never mind using a Dwell meter to dial it in to a gnat's ***... or for diagnosis... The plugs kinda concern me too...

That all has to be resolved before timing.

I have no reference on the OP's experience level, but you can't just drop stuff in a 40 year old truck and then wonder WTF?

It's old stuff... It wants YOU to know what you are doing... and tell it what to do.
Definitely NOT plug and play...

If that makes any sense.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
As part of "etc" it may have been retimed- In which case it may have been adjusted with the vacuum line hooked up which will retard the timing. When I got my Courier, it would fire right up, run smooth, but had -zero- power. I attributed this to it's being a four cylinder, but when I did the timing belt, I reset the timing properly and it actually was able to get out into traffic.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:11 AM
New User

Mtlrcks is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 1973 F350 SCS with a 390cid and a 4 spd. The engine still has points, can someone tell me what the timing and points are at factory settings? The truck is not currently running. Thanks!!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:31 PM
New User

From memory, and for a 1971, but should work for you:

Point gap .017"
Dwell 26-31 degrees
Timing 10 degrees BTDC (This with vacuum hose disconnected and plugged, and at 625-650 RPM)

Hope it helps
Old 08-17-2012, 04:05 PM
New User

Mtlrcks is starting off with a positive reputation.
THANKS!!

It does help a lot!! I will be out there first thing in the morning!!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Posting Guru

elgemcdlf is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtlrcks View Post
I have a 1973 F350 SCS with a 390cid and a 4 spd. The engine still has points, can someone tell me what the timing and points are at factory settings? The truck is not currently running. Thanks!!
If I remember right the official gauge to use for the points is a matchbook cover. I got many running again using that. Always kept a book of matches in the glovebox
Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks