Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Senior User

FarmingF250 has a good reputation on FTE.FarmingF250 has a good reputation on FTE.
7.3L Serpentine belt changed- my lazy way

The belt that was on my truck when I bought had seen better days, was cracked and missing one edge. Old belt after removal:

Click the image to open in full size.

Rather than wait for it to fail and strand me, family & trailer away from home, I was able to change my serpentine belt on a 2000 7.3 without incident in my driveway. My top rad hose goes through the belt so I was putting this off and found it doesn't really make the job any harder, just a few extra steps.

Since I couldn't find a complete how to, here is my lazy way:

1) Park truck on level surface and allow to cool down
2) Gather new belt (I bought a Ford one, was about $53CDN), 1/2" breaker bar, 10" vice grips, empty jugs and pump
3) Insert pump into degas jug and pump out approx 4 litres / 1 gallon of coolant. (Yes you can use the drain plug on the bottom of the radiator, uses a 3/4" wrench or 5/16" hex key, however my 3/4 section was hanging on by a thread and fell off when I put the wrench on it so I wasn't going to chance having the valve break completely and be stuck open)
4) Put vice grips on top rad clamp (if that type of clamp) and open clamp enough to slide it down hose. Leave vice grips on clamp
5) pull hose off rad nipple Do not allow hose to drop as some coolant is still inside
6) Insert 1/2 breaker bar and rotate tensioner to take strain off belt, you can swing the stopper into place to hold the tension "off", but mine fell off when I went to use it!

7) Remove old belt
8) Install new belt as per diagram underhood ensuring all grooved belt sections are in the correct grooves of the pullies. Crawling under the truck is the best way to get the crank pully lined up.
9) Release tensioner (or as I did, hold strain with breaker bar and avoid getting fingers caught..)
10) Visually check that the belt is still in the correct place on each pulley (verify verify verify)
11) Reconnect coolant hose and release vice grips
12) Pour saved coolant back into degas jug
13) Start engine and check everything is working / road test (fun part)

The job took me less than 45 minutes including taking pictures and I had never done this before. I think I could do it in half that next time.

I saved the old belt for emergency purposes, and as long as I have a 1/2" breaker bar and vice grips, I am confident this belt can be changed on the side of the road with only a little coolant loss, nothing a jug of coolant can't replace. Of course, swapping the hose to a behind the radiator version eliminates that issue.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 AM
is a BAAAD MAN

Jmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputation
I didnt even know about the stopper thing. I'll have to check that out haha. Nice job.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
And for just a few dollars more, you can also just get the upper radiator hose for the dual alternator set up so that the upper hose goes around your belt so future changes don't involve messing with the coolant.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 08-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Hit it!

Ponyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud ofPonyboychris has much to be proud of
ChrisMPorras
Quote:
Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
And for just a few dollars more, you can also just get the upper radiator hose for the dual alternator set up so that the upper hose goes around your belt so future changes don't involve messing with the coolant.
I was thinking the same thing. I think I got my "around the belt" style hose from NAPA for $14 bucks. So worth it.
2002 F350 XLT, 7.3L CC 4x4, SRW, Autometer Ultralites, DP TUNER, BTS Trans, 6.0 tranny cooler, F650 dash, AIS w/zoodad, Warn Hubs, 4" MBRP exhaust, '08 rear end cover, Foil Delete, Heated Tow Mirrors, AIH Delete, Homemade CCV mod., Bilsteins.
The Silver Bullitt PAA# 24
Old 08-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Elder User

SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have to use a similar method as you did. Unfortunately, my Zena welder and extended upper hose (which is actually metal insert) precludes me from having an outside the belt configuration. Would love to have that option but mine looks like this:

02 F250 4X4 7.3, PC 6 ˝ lift, Centerline wheels, PC 37x12.50R-17's, Warn PP HD Winch, Jotto Console, Scanner, Icom HAM radio, 91 Gal. Aux fuel cell, Diamondback HD bed cover, Warn Hubs, dual steering stab, Step2 Bed steps, Warn FF, AIS, 4" t/b exhaust with Aero turbine muffler, backup buddy lights, Mag-Hytec diff cover & tranny pan, SGII, 6.0 T Cooler, ELF7405 with oil By-Pass, IH bellowed ups, Gen 2 FRx, HPx, CCV Mod, CAT ELC, ez down t-gate, Fumoto drain, Rev/Cargo LEDs, 4 pillar gauge with ISSPRO, DP Tuner
Old 08-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Postmaster

Firefighter 1406 has a good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a good reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a good reputation on FTE.
How does that welder work for ya? Do you have to idle up the truck to use it? Just curious.
Seth "WE WILL NEVER FORGET" 343 PAA#129
Not so Early 99 F-250 Super Cab 4X4 w/7.3 stroker w/ 260,000, 6637 filter, 4" MBRP turbo back, coolant filter, zoodad, Hx, AutoMeter Guages, AIC, Leveling kit, Warn Premiums, 285 Duratrac's, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000 XL's, Strobes,
www.roadsidehelpnetwork.org/
Old 08-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Senior User

FarmingF250 has a good reputation on FTE.FarmingF250 has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks all, I did look into the 9066 NAPA hose or the dual alternator Ford hose, Ford hose was $37, NAPA hose $18, but for me it was back ordered unless I wanted to spend $15 to have it shipped in. I didn't feel like spending double what it should be. I will likely get one if I come across a local NAPA with it in stock.

I really didn't find messing with the coolant an issue the way I did it, but I agree 100% that having the hose behind the belt is the most desired routing for ease of roadside breakdown.

That Zena welder is cool!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Elder User

SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.
Firefighter 1406,

The welder works outstanding. While I am not a welder by profession by any means, I have had great results with it and others that have used it have claimed it to be one of the best welders they have ever used. You can purchase an idle control assembly that increases the rpm with the welder (I have it but it is not hooked up) but I have not had a major issue with it. I also now have the high idle tune on my DP Tuner so I can just switch it on if I need it. I use the welder for jump starting other people’s vehicles more than welding on most occasions. Since welding is not a full time gig for me, the welder does come in handy when you need it. Check out the web site and read through the info and you will get a much better idea of the capabilities of this product.
Portable / Mobile DC Welding Equipment Designed for Use in Remote Locations
02 F250 4X4 7.3, PC 6 ˝ lift, Centerline wheels, PC 37x12.50R-17's, Warn PP HD Winch, Jotto Console, Scanner, Icom HAM radio, 91 Gal. Aux fuel cell, Diamondback HD bed cover, Warn Hubs, dual steering stab, Step2 Bed steps, Warn FF, AIS, 4" t/b exhaust with Aero turbine muffler, backup buddy lights, Mag-Hytec diff cover & tranny pan, SGII, 6.0 T Cooler, ELF7405 with oil By-Pass, IH bellowed ups, Gen 2 FRx, HPx, CCV Mod, CAT ELC, ez down t-gate, Fumoto drain, Rev/Cargo LEDs, 4 pillar gauge with ISSPRO, DP Tuner
Old 08-05-2012, 03:05 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel