1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Air conditioning 2003 Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Tracbolt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air conditioning 2003 Ranger

A few weeks ago I came out to my 2003 Ranger 4 Cyl. only to find the battery dead. I mean 100% drained. The morning before after my trip to work I noticed the AC lines under the hood were iced up and did not connect the two. I eliminated all other circuits that might be draining the battery so I decided to see if the icing and the battery were connected. I unplugged the A/C compressor and bingo. No more battery drain while the truck was parked. Once I re-connected the A/C compressor plug the system iced up after about 30 miles of driving. I parked the truck and the battery drained again. I am thinking the A/C clutch switch is the issue. The compressor does not cycle on and off but runs continously with the pug connected. Disconnected the clutch is off and the compressor does not run. I have been running the air while driving and disconnecting the battery when I have to park it overnight. The constant compressor operation can't be good.
Anyone been here before and can someone guide me to what and where is the fix?
Thanks

Tony

Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracbolt
A few weeks ago I came out to my 2003 Ranger 4 Cyl. only to find the battery dead. I mean 100% drained. The morning before after my trip to work I noticed the AC lines under the hood were iced up and did not connect the two. I eliminated all other circuits that might be draining the battery so I decided to see if the icing and the battery were connected. I unplugged the A/C compressor and bingo. No more battery drain while the truck was parked. Once I re-connected the A/C compressor plug the system iced up after about 30 miles of driving. I parked the truck and the battery drained again. I am thinking the A/C clutch switch is the issue. The compressor does not cycle on and off but runs continously with the pug connected. Disconnected the clutch is off and the compressor does not run. I have been running the air while driving and disconnecting the battery when I have to park it overnight. The constant compressor operation can't be good.
Anyone been here before and can someone guide me to what and where is the fix?
Thanks

Tony
Welcome to FTE.
Look to a faulty AC line pressure switch, or maybe a short in the pressure switch wiring.