6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

when do dealers offer a loaner for repairs??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 10:34 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when do dealers offer a loaner for repairs??

my truck is almost to 36k miles I need to get the plastic tail gate cap replaced, a fitting is broken on my vac line to the auto locking hubs, the seat belt doesn't retract like I think it should, and I am getting more and more bump steer as the truck gets older, don't know what they will say when I complain about that. anyways its a pain to take my truck in, it means me driving a half hour to the dealer, a half hour back, then another half hour there and back to pick up the truck when its done. it also interferes with what my wife wants to do. not to mention being without the truck for a day. my question is when do dealers offer a loaner vehicle these days?? or better yet when do they give one if asked to.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 PM
2addy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most don't/won't anymore due to liability and expense issues. My dealer even makes you sign an acknowledgement that they don't provide one. When my '08 went through warranty hell, Ford did provide rental reimbursement but there was a limit. For that reason I carry rental coverage with my insurance. It's fairly inexpensive.

Last edited by 2addy; 07-14-2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 AM
whitewhale
Senior User
Depends on the dealer. When the wifes car needs an oil change(free at our dealership for the life of the car[and it was used when we bought it]), They send one of their service managers out with a car free of charge. Did the same when it went in for trans issues.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:35 AM
macguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2addy
Most don't/won't anymore due to liability and expense issues. My dealer even makes you sign an acknowledgement that they don't provide one. When my '08 went through warranty hell, Ford did provide rental reimbursement but there was a limit. For that reason I carry rental coverage with my insurance. It's fairly inexpensive.
Its the manufacturer that provides the loaner, not the dealer. And Ford is one of the few that dont. GM on all their cars and trucks provide a loaner if your vehicle is out of service for more than one day built into the standard warranty.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Adobe 11SD
Senior User
Neither of the two dealers that I have taken my truck to provide a loaner.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You're not going to find a "line in the sand" that when crossed grants you a vehicle.

Now, there's this:

"loaner vehicles are provided by other manufacturers but not all loaner vehicles are provided by manufacturers".

In other words, no, ford does not. But a dealer can choose to have a couple cars available to their customers. Mine does, they just claim a couple used cars and provide them to their customers who need them.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:39 AM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
I brought my 2011 f250 in for the nox reflash and mentioned the nav had got dark a few times with the radio still playing and my dealer gave us a rental car for the day, i was at 6k miles i dont know if that has anything to do with it.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:39 AM
maltesecross
Freshman User

Boy that is one heck of a sore subject.... When my CEL came on I brought mine in to have the oil changed and nox recall done at 10K. After clearing the light and having it come on the next day 3X's in a week u would think they would have given up a rental huh? NOT!!

The third time i bought it back they recieved the, "Keep it till its fixed," qoute from me. Still no rental offer and I was out a vehicle for two more weeks. I asked several times about getting a car to no avail. I do think it makes a difference that i did not buy my truck from this dealer. I simply bring it there for maint. for merely convienence.

The problem ended up being a bad EGT sensor that was not responding to a the computer that took a lot of trouble shooting to figure out, "So they say?"

Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 AM
srkr
Cargo Master
Received 440 Likes on 192 Posts
Every time I have had my truck in for something to get fixed....I always get a rental if kept over night. Standard procedure here. They actually push me to get a rental and just drop off the truck instead of trying to diagnose the problem then decide if a rental is needed.

My dealer uses enterprise.

Shane

Old 07-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
My dealer had my truck for 3 days for the DEF pump replacement and I had a rental truck for 3 days.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Tangi Cowboy
Cargo Master
I have found over the years it's all according to the individual dealer & the volume of business you have done with that dealer also the smaller the town the more likely they will give you a loaner ! When we still had a Ford dealer & a Chevy Dodge house here in Kentwood, they would really take good care of you & provide anything you wanted, unfortuanately both our dealerships have closed down & the closest place is in either McComb or Hammond, 25 - 30 miles away, & they didn't offer a loaner but did have rental cars available at a reasonable rate, boy o boy I miss the good old days.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:31 PM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
The loaner issue depends on your dealer. I have bought 2 new vehicles from my dealer and either me or my wife is loaned a vehicle to drive every time one of them is in the shop. I have a very good small town dealer with a good diesel tech.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:47 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My dealer provides me with a loaner for any repairs where they'll have it for more than a day.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:10 PM
bookem15
Senior User
when I had my last reflash done my dealer told me to take a 2012 mustang for a "test drive" for a few hours. I had to go pick stuff up at lowes and home depot so it worked for me.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:40 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by bookem15
when I had my last reflash done my dealer told me to take a 2012 mustang for a "test drive" for a few hours. I had to go pick stuff up at lowes and home depot so it worked for me.
Mine offers a car too.

Have to ask- did you smoke them tires

Quick Reply: when do dealers offer a loaner for repairs??