6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

when do dealers offer a loaner for repairs??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Parts Jimmy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The loaner program is supported by Ford and the dealer pays for it. The dealer I work for provides loaners and shuttle service. Loaners sell vehicles because it gets a customer in a fairly new vehicle. When we do not have enough vehicles than we use rental vehicles to fill in.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:51 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
next time I buy a new vehicle I am going to negotiate as part of the deal that I get a loaner to drive when the truck is in for warranty work. I am sick of this. it is such a pain to take my truck in and dodge or ford has NEVER once offered a loaner for me. maybe I buy from the wrong dealers.

I am taking my truck back to where I bought it, for the end of warranty repairs. one thing I will say is it does make a difference on their attitude in regards to fixing it, if it was bought there.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Parts Jimmy
Senior User
Loaners are not a cheap option for dealers. That may be why your dealer is not providing them.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:23 PM
mpd579
Junior User
I drive 45 mins one way out of the way (pass up my local dealer and 1 more on the way) to use a good Ford dealer that gives loaner cars. And their service dept is top of the line

I asked one day about this same topic....they said "lots of people" come here for service/oil changes and so on because of loaners. Sounds like it may pay for itself in the long run to give them out

I called Ford and if you have the ESP you get rental coverage if your truck stays over night. I think you have to rent the car and submit the bill to Ford

Old 07-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,591 Likes on 736 Posts
Cummins, My dealer in Layton has several times gotten me a rental car from Enterprise Rental Car when my trucks have had to be in for more than a day. My 2011 6.7 needed new solenoids for the tranny, They had to ship them in, So they kept my truck for two days, Gave me a rental. I did buy my 2011 from them. But they have given me rentals on my 2000, 2003 and 2006 which I bought from other dealers and just brought into them for service.

So purchasing the truck from them wasn't why they provided a rental, but rather the amount of time needed for the repair.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:47 PM
2addy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by macguy
Its the manufacturer that provides the loaner, not the dealer. And Ford is one of the few that dont. GM on all their cars and trucks provide a loaner if your vehicle is out of service for more than one day built into the standard warranty.
My previous post should have stated "most local dealers won't...." With that being said, it's nice to see some dealers will still do this. Apparently not around here. My dealer made me sign a document stating they do not offer rentals. And with my '08 POS nightmare, five different dealerships refused rentals (including the dealership where I bought). When my truck was down for three weeks, I had to use my ESP rental agreement and submit reimbursement to Ford and then they wouldn't cover the entire amount even thought it was Ford's disaster.

My local auto repair place who does my oil changes and tire rotations, the one who didn't sell me my high dollar, high profit margin truck but the one who does the low dollar menial (but important!) tasks does give me a loaner when needed; they understand customer service. Too often it's the dealership saying it's Ford's problem and then Ford saying that the dealer is an independent franchise and that they have no control over them and so therefore it's the dealership's problem and back and forth they go.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:31 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
my question is how do they know everytime they can't get it done that day. seems to me alot of times they wouldn't know what parts to order until they start working on it. meanwhile you have left and went home and a loaner does no good. the next new vehicle I buy the dealer that offers a loaner will get my business, I want some freaking service it ruins mine and my wifes entire day just about dinking with this. only truck I owned that has been problem free in the first 36k miles was a 97 nissan, toyota sienna has 104k on it, and its needed a wheel bearing, american vehicles just aren't as reliable.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Hdslider
Postmaster
My selling dealer provides me with a loaner if they feel repairs will be more than a service. And if it's a day I need a truck they will get me one from used vehicle lot. Most the time I call in advance I'm bringing truck in and they have something waiting for me.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM
macguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hdslider
My selling dealer provides me with a loaner if they feel repairs will be more than a service. And if it's a day I need a truck they will get me one from used vehicle lot. Most the time I call in advance I'm bringing truck in and they have something waiting for me.
Your referring to selling dealer, but what happens when you get service at a dealer you didn't buy from?

Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM
6.7Fan
Senior User
Cummin's - I switched service to the dealer off of 90th in Sandy. The service was much better than downtown SLC. I haven't asked about a loaner yet, but they have a great shuttle service. I drop my truck off in the morning, they shuttle me to the office and come pick me up when it's done or when I'm ready to get it. I haven't had it in for anything that took more than a few hours at most, so I haven't even asked about a loaner, but my gut tells me they might actually provide it. Their service dept has been very good to me.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Hdslider
Postmaster
Originally Posted by macguy
Your referring to selling dealer, but what happens when you get service at a dealer you didn't buy from?
Well so far they have been the only ones touching my truck.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:29 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called my selling dealer today to schedule a rear diff seal repair and they told me that I could have a loaner if I needed one. We didn't discuss what type of vehicle but, she said I would have to sign some kinda waiver for ins. purposes. I didn't even ask for the loaner. The SW offered it. That was decent of them. My dealer really has treated me pretty well.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:14 PM
mikespecht
Senior User
It seems to be based on the dealer, the issue you are having, and even the person you deal with at the dealer. The dealer that I take my truck to, was not the dealer I purchased my truck from. The first time I took it there the lady told me they don't do loaners and pointed me to the rental car office at the dealership. When I took my truck back around a month later, I reported the issue, the same issue to a different person who offered me a loaner and also told me that the woman I talked to last time was "no longer working for them". The loaner was a rental from enterprise. They paid for the rental but not the bull**** fees that they add on. Still less than paying for the car and the fees though. They had my truck most of the day and I was able to pick it back up before they closed. One of the issues was the windshield rattled at certain speeds with wind just a certain way, they fixed that. The other issue was it pulls slightly to the right. They werent able to check that out that day because it was windy so they couldn't get an accurate test drive in. The truck has 15k on it if that matters also.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:59 AM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
Originally Posted by 6.7Fan
Cummin's - I switched service to the dealer off of 90th in Sandy. The service was much better than downtown SLC. I haven't asked about a loaner yet, but they have a great shuttle service. I drop my truck off in the morning, they shuttle me to the office and come pick me up when it's done or when I'm ready to get it. I haven't had it in for anything that took more than a few hours at most, so I haven't even asked about a loaner, but my gut tells me they might actually provide it. Their service dept has been very good to me.
agreed, the 90th south dealer is pretty snappy on getting things done, they also had a $150 or something like that price if you pay up front you get 3 oil changes with tire rotation, thats a smokin price. I would have taken it to the 90th south dealer but, my tail gate cap fell off and I knew it was going to be a fight to get it replaced so my thinking was the selling dealer would be more apt to get it replaced. I was right about the hassle getting the cap replaced, I got all sorts of greef at ken gaarf in american fork, service manager comes out and says they will try to get it replaced after the regular guy had told me they would not replace it, wrong answer. asked about a loaner vehicle and was told they don't do them also was told they were too busy to get to the truck today, so no loaner even though they are keeping the truck overnight.

I want some freaking service!!!!! next vehicle I buy will be based on what the service dept is willing to do, replace BS items like the tail gate cap and give me a loaner.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just remembered something. There is something in the ford service network that "rates" you as a customer. There's some kind of point system or similar and therefore there is some way that the service writer knows if you are a high value customer or not.

I remember my local service manager saying to me once "your customer rating is about the highest I've ever seen". I didn't really ask him about that. I just told him that he needed to provide me discounts!

Anyone else hear of this? Is it a secret?

Quick Reply: when do dealers offer a loaner for repairs??