1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Bags Re-visited

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:14 AM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FineSeventyNine
No it's not level...thus the reason for install. According to the instructions, airing with different pressure will level the truck. That's one reason I got the kit rather than new springs.
Is this incorrect? If so it won't cure my issue.
u have to have seperate valves for each side and a on board compressor. but yes!!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:18 AM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sarge261
I wouldnt worry about lifting the truck by the frame. I have lifted mine more than once and have forgotten to let the air out of the bags, I havent had an issue yet and theyve been in service for 50k.

The only issue I have now is the compressor is shot. I need to research a little and find out if Air Lift will work with a Viar Pump and Tank.

Sarge
viairs are great compressors and have never given me any problems. i used them for old cars for air bagging and never had problems with them in the last 10 years .

Originally Posted by Sarge261
Im just tying to figure out whats going to work best for me. I guess I was looking for some guidance from those that have done it. I know it will work, why wouldnt it. Its the same as what I have except the compressor that comes with the kit I bought 5 years ago will only fill the bags and thats it.

Now it will pop the fuse if you run it too long. So its time to replace.

Sarge
are you running a relay??

Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
You can most certainly run your own kit pieced together. Depending on what kit you may currently have there are variations on how you would need to tie an onboard air setup into the kit/controller. If you have any questions about your specific install shoot me a pm or email and I would be happy to help.

Viair makes excellent products, I have personally used them on custom vehicles for 10 years now and have never had a problem. In fact our heavy duty compressors in our kits are made by Viair.

As for the limit strap question, I will bring it up. We are always looking for new ways to offer a better service or a product not offered by others. I can't say for sure it will go anywhere, but it will at least be discussed.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by VONxRUBENxLA
viairs are great compressors and have never given me any problems. i used them for old cars for air bagging and never had problems with them in the last 10 years .

are you running a relay??
YEs I am running a relay.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:14 PM
AGE mechanic
Elder User
AirLiftCompany, could you PM me a package price for my 06 in my sig below.
I have the 16K Pullrite super slider with their super rails.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 PM
FineSeventyNine
Tennessee Hillbilly

Originally Posted by VONxRUBENxLA
u have to have seperate valves for each side and a on board compressor. but yes!!
I was planning on using seperate valves and adding a compressor later on. For now I just want to eliminate the leaning to one side. It's not terribly noticeable but I don't like it. Thanks for the input.......

Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 AM
FineSeventyNine
Tennessee Hillbilly

OK....finally got a couple hours to install the air-bags......no problems with the install....
So, when it comes time to level the truck I put about 15 psi in the right side and to level up the left side it takes 65 psi.....there's only minimal stiffness to the ride but I think that with that much difference in the inflation pressure I need to look at replacing the springs..

Any vendors here that sell springs? Don't want any lift, just restore the original height and eliminate the lean.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:48 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by FineSeventyNine
So, when it comes time to level the truck I put about 15 psi in the right side and to level up the left side it takes 65 psi.....there's only minimal stiffness to the ride but I think that with that much difference in the inflation pressure I need to look at replacing the springs..
Dang, really? That's a heck of a lean. You may need more than springs, but yeah...that's a good start. Wow.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:05 PM
FineSeventyNine
Tennessee Hillbilly

Originally Posted by edjunior
Dang, really? That's a heck of a lean. You may need more than springs, but yeah...that's a good start. Wow.
Wasn't really leaning real bad...but noticeable.

I think what's causing the big pressure difference is that the air bag is having to overcome the sagging spring which has kinda taken a "set".

So it's not only lifting the chassis, it's also working against the sagging spring that's actually trying to pull it back down.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 PM
AGE mechanic
Elder User
Originally Posted by AGE mechanic
AirLiftCompany, could you PM me a package price for my 06 in my sig below.
I have the 16K Pullrite super slider with their super rails.
I have a quote of $500 installed with the lines ran to the back. Is that a good deal? Anyone help me out with that, I really want to get them done soon.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:05 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by AGE mechanic
I have a quote of $500 installed with the lines ran to the back. Is that a good deal? Anyone help me out with that, I really want to get them done soon.
That sounds like a good deal to me. I think I was quoted just under $600. I ended up putting them on myself. On the new truck too. But I won't do it again.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:35 PM
AGE mechanic
Elder User
The Ride-Rite Firestone system looks good too. I haven't counted them out.