1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Bags Re-visited

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 AM
FineSeventyNine
Tennessee Hillbilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Bags Re-visited

My early 99, like me, has developed a bit of sag in the rear and leans a little to one side. I had put new springs in the front to level it when I got it at 145K miles so the front is fine.

Now at 225K I really don't want to spend a great deal of money on it. Just want to keep it running and reliable. So I ordered a pair of Firestone air bags to level up the rear.

I did a search on here about air bags and found a couple of threads about lifting the truck by the frame with the air bags installed. That concerned me because I use my 2 post lift all the time to lift it by the frame.

I looked in the installation/instruction manual and found this:

If it is necessary to lift the truck by the frame, first release all the air pressure from the air springs. This will allow the air springs to extend to their maximum length without being damaged. The uninflated springs are capable of supporting the weight of the axle when the vehicle is lifted by the frame. After servicing of the vehicle is complete, lower the vehicle to the ground and re-inflate the springs to the desired pressure.
So....on with the install.....

Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Also, if you are more concerned you could unbolt the bag from one of the brackets or even just install some limit straps to keep from overextending the bags.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 AM
FineSeventyNine
Tennessee Hillbilly

Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
Also, if you are more concerned you could unbolt the bag from one of the brackets or even just install some limit straps to keep from overextending the bags.
Thanks for the tip.....my apologies for not contacting you as a sponsor...it just didn't occur to me when I googled "air bags for f250 with B&W hitch"

I think the Firestone came up first and then I was just looking for the best price on their kit........in the future, I'll look at our sponsors first

Old 07-11-2012, 08:38 AM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
so im hoping that the rear of the truck level? right? becuase if there is difference in hieght from left to right in the rear it will not help.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Originally Posted by FineSeventyNine
Thanks for the tip.....my apologies for not contacting you as a sponsor...it just didn't occur to me when I googled "air bags for f250 with B&W hitch"

I think the Firestone came up first and then I was just looking for the best price on their kit........in the future, I'll look at our sponsors first
No problem. My main goal here is not necessarily to sell, but to show a level of customer service other companies don't offer.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:06 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm...
brings up a good point...

I've been surprised by some rr tracks on more than one occasion and almost left the ground....

if I 'jumped' and left the ground without limit straps it could do damage

Old 07-11-2012, 02:37 PM
FineSeventyNine
Tennessee Hillbilly

Originally Posted by VONxRUBENxLA
so im hoping that the rear of the truck level? right? becuase if there is difference in hieght from left to right in the rear it will not help.
No it's not level...thus the reason for install. According to the instructions, airing with different pressure will level the truck. That's one reason I got the kit rather than new springs.
Is this incorrect? If so it won't cure my issue.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:47 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
No problem. My main goal here is not necessarily to sell, but to show a level of customer service other companies don't offer.
And thats a good selling point in my book

Old 07-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldnt worry about lifting the truck by the frame. I have lifted mine more than once and have forgotten to let the air out of the bags, I havent had an issue yet and theyve been in service for 50k.

The only issue I have now is the compressor is shot. I need to research a little and find out if Air Lift will work with a Viar Pump and Tank.

Sarge

Old 07-11-2012, 06:09 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by Sarge261
I need to research a little and find out if Air Lift will work with a Viar Pump and Tank.
Whats the question there? I dont see why they wouldnt. I am piecing my kit together.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Im just tying to figure out whats going to work best for me. I guess I was looking for some guidance from those that have done it. I know it will work, why wouldnt it. Its the same as what I have except the compressor that comes with the kit I bought 5 years ago will only fill the bags and thats it.

Now it will pop the fuse if you run it too long. So its time to replace.

Sarge

Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Im just tying to figure out whats going to work best for me. I guess I was looking for some guidance from those that have done it. I know it will work, why wouldnt it. Its the same as what I have except the compressor that comes with the kit I bought 5 years ago will only fill the bags and thats it.

Now it will pop the fuse if you run it too long. So its time to replace.

Sarge
I have seen and heard good things from VIAIR and plan on getting one for myself.

As long as you dont ask the compressor to do more than it should it will keep you happy. Sounds like a woman now that I think about it.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:49 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Ha I hear ya, and you reply fast

Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Ha I hear ya, and you reply fast
Eh, I'm waiting for a video to upload to YouTube, so I fill in the time on here haha

Old 07-11-2012, 06:54 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
reps sent!

just wondering if the Airlift company could offer an optional limiting strap with their kit. I know this is a reaccuring concern that many truck owners have expressed.

an add-on limiting strap kit would truly be a level of customer service that no one else is currently providing.

judging by the responses and concerns in general, it seems like it would be a slam dunk.

just a thought from a customer.

Quick Reply: Air Bags Re-visited