6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Rancho: Stock FX4 5000 vs 9000XL

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:59 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aquaman
I just swapped in a set of 9000XL's with 38K on the original factory Ranchos.. What a big improvement. I currently have them set at '6' . The ride is quite smooth.

I've been complaining about the rough ride since getting the truck new, and it seems the ride has been getting rougher; long trips were rather fatiguing. Now, the truck rides closer to my F150.

Like RM3728 mentioned, the factory shocks were easy to compress by hand, and 2 of them didn't fully extend by themselves. The rubber bushings are all cracked and hardened too. The 9000s feel like twice the weight and size compared to the stock parts.

No regrets so far...I'm tempted to try the higher settings...

Do the factory shocks come with lifetime warranty? Can I exchange my originals for a new set?

Now my steering wheel is starting to wobble when I drive over curved rough pavement at freeway speeds :-(

If you have any type of extended warranty or maintenance plan, there's a chance they'll be covered. Mine would have been and I could have paid the difference to upgrade, but the dealer markup vs what I bought them online for was way more. Plus, the Rancho rebate, states "Excludes Warranty Replacememt" so I wouldn't have Received my $100 rebate.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the install of my new shocks 3 days ago. As mentioned before, the factory shocks are junk and you can easily tell that once you take them off. Easily compressed by hand and after being compressed they wouldn't extend again. Install was straight forward and took roughly 1hr for the front and back. Biggest pain is the top connection on the front shocks. Just so everyone knows there is a HUGE improvement in ride quality that was easily noticeable right away. I've put 500km on the truck since and I'm kicking myself that I didn't swap them out sooner. Cheers

Old 07-21-2012, 11:02 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
What settings are you all running? I have 6 in front and 4 in back while driving empty. I'm tempted to try dialing the back down another notch. But yeah, the ride is so much more comfortable now

Old 07-21-2012, 02:19 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by aquaman
What settings are you all running? I have 6 in front and 4 in back while driving empty. I'm tempted to try dialing the back down another notch. But yeah, the ride is so much more comfortable now
5 front/2 rear. Great for in town and up to 55 but sucks for highway 60+

Old 07-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
I'm running 5 on front and back but am going to try some other combinations. I need to find a good combo for strictly highway driving as that is what i do 98% of the time.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:16 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Brandon D
I'm running 5 on front and back but am going to try some other combinations. I need to find a good combo for strictly highway driving as that is what i do 98% of the time.
I ran 9 in front and 6 rear past week on a 200 mile trip. Was pretty pleased.

This is from Rancho's blog:

Usually you make adjustments to the shock based on four variables.

The amount of weight or load carried. This includes accessories fitted, passengers, gear, tools and towing. Extra weight places greater demand on your 4WD's springs, requiring*more control or damping from the shocks to ensure good ride-control. Typically, under heavier loads, you are using a setting between positions 5-9.

The speed you are travelling verses the terrain type. For example, highway and freeway driving is typically high speed work (unless you live in Los Angles!) and the roads are smooth. In this instance, look to firmer settings for more sports-car like handling. Firmer settings provide better control at high speed, and because the roads are smooth, little spring action is required - so tight control over the springs is OK.

Inherent characteristics in a vehicle type or 4WD brand. Like people, most vehicles have their quirks. Suspension systems not excluded. (Too soft. Too stiff. Too jerky etc.) On some vehicles with IFS (independent front suspension) there can be complaint about how soft the front-end of the vehicles control and handling is. With the Rancho adjustable shocks fitted, you can dial the units firmer to compensate to a reasonable degree. Or, if the vehicles springs are notably stiff, you can soften the shocks in many circumstances, for a much more comfortable ride.

A combination of all the above. Driving on gravel and corrugated roads often requires good control and handling (firmer settings), yet some 'give' in the suspension (softer settings) is also required or the vehicle may track and skitter. To achieve the best compromise between control and comfort, the load in the vehicle, the speed you are travelling at, and the inherent characteristics of the vehicle all play a part in deciding which settings are*ideal to achieve the best compromise between control and comfort in this instance.
From experience, in any situation, you are always looking for as comfortable as possible, while maintaining good stability.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:06 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
The bottom of the plastic boots are tie-wrapped to the top of the shock; I assume that's what the tie wraps are for, but the top of the boot pops off the top washer since it's simply snap-fit in place. How are you guys securing it?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
The shock should never extend enough to pull the rubber tight enough to pull it off the top. Mine have not moved off the top since I put them on so I'm not sure why your having trouble?