Sponsored by:

shackle reversal, cost and benefits

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 02:56 AM
Brant Bowrifle
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roosplash
No stops are required. The shackle stays fairly vertical at rest. It will naturally move back under compression or load and move forward at droop conditions on its own. The same as it does in its stock position. The reason for the flip in my case was to add lift with out separating my axle from my leaf packs. You need to have two hangers and a shackle for the springs to work properly. If you use two front hangers without a shackle the springs cant move when they are compressed
Gotcha. I can see how the movement works now. I guess it doesn't change normal spring travel it just reverses it.

I'm aware I would need the shackles as well. Now that's an error that would get me the bumpy ride but I'm pretty sure it's just how stiff the springs are. Hmmmmm, maybe I did forget the shackles....... .

Old 06-23-2012, 06:11 PM
roosplash
Senior User
When I made my hangers, I made them to fit my stock shackles and just reused them

Old 06-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Brant Bowrifle
Tuned
When I made my hangers, I made them to fit my stock shackles and just reused them
That's what I was thinking, just using the stock shackles. That should get me just a little more lift than what I have know and I can chuck those blocks. Thanks for the advice guys and now back to work.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:13 PM
roosplash
Senior User
You can get as much or as little lift as you want if you make your own hangers.The mounting plate will bolt to the frame rail in typical fashion. The height/ lift can be adjusted by how long or short the gussets are made to support the shackle pocket. dont go too crazy or you will have to use wedge blocks to adjust pinion angle

Old 06-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Brant Bowrifle
Tuned
You can get as much or as little lift as you want if you make your own hangers.The mounting plate will bolt to the frame rail in typical fashion. The height/ lift can be adjusted by how long or short the gussets are made to support the shackle pocket. dont go too crazy or you will have to use wedge blocks to adjust pinion angle
I'll watch out for that, thanks. Let you know how it goes. Hopefully I can get that done next week. If I can ever get off my other projects.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Brant Bowrifle
Tuned
I'm bringing this thread back to life.

I never did get the shackles flipped but I'm going to do it this week while I'm waiting for some parts to arrive for the project. I have the full set of fox shocks now, which is cool. I'll get those on too. I have a question I'm hoping you guys can answer. The flipped shackles on my buddies bronco were hanging vertical. Is there an angle to the shackle I should look at for better ride quality, articulation, anything like that? I have seen images of some that when the vehicle is sitting without any additional weight the shackles are sitting back in varying degrees while some are vertical like his. Because this is an f350 frame I don't have any original bolt holes to go off of so I'll have to figure out the best place to bolt up the bracket. I see no reason why having the shackles straight up or slightly back would cause issues either way but I'd like to hear some opinions anyway before I start assuming too much. Thanks.

And it's alright for me to resurrect a thread this close to Easter .

Old 04-02-2013, 01:24 PM
gtspowerstroke
Freshman User
Personally I'd keep them either vertical or slightly tipping forward at the top. Reason being if they are tipped back at the top when the spring compresses and it lengthens and it will first move the shackle to a vertical position which will actually try to lift the back slightly before it then swings past vertical and starts going down. I think this will harshen the ride as well. Also just for reference I'm talking the shackle slightly tipped forward with the full weight of the vehicle on the suspension, NOT with the back up in the air on the jack stands. I'm talking after everything has settled and come to rest it should then have a slight tip forward.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Brant Bowrifle
Tuned
I appreciate another perspective. I think your right on the movement, so that the force goes into the shock by allowing it to swing back and not into the bracket. I got the brackets bolted up over the weekend and I have the lower part of the shackle tipping back at about a 30 degree angle after taking it off the jacks. I think I'm good where it's at. Taking a look at the suspension, it seems like having the shocks behind the axle and slanted back would fit in better with the suspension travel rather than the way ford has it. Also seems like it would be better to have an apposing rotation point on the shock eyelets to avoid binding during suspension travel as well. It looks like the axle moves almost straight up and down and slightly towards the back and that would pivot the shock more than it would dampen the bumpy road with the current position of the brackets. I'd say I'm being to sensitive, but I've heard of people changing out the metal eyelets on the fox shocks to provide better ride and a little more flexibility, so seems to me every improvement helps. I haven't heard of anyone reversing the shocks to the rear of the axle when doing a shackle flip but it seems to me it would work better to either have the shocks near vertical or slightly back. Unless I'm over thinking it. I'll have to read through some more in depth suspension workings. My logic may be way off.